Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift linkage bushing

 
Old 06-20-2010, 02:18 PM
  #16  
crg53
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
crg53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver Island, BC , Canada
Posts: 2,364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Andreas, that looks just perfect, very professional job. I installed a RS short shift kit a couple of years ago, my bushings were still in OK condition, but if they ever need replacement, I will do what you did.

crg53 is offline  
Old 06-20-2010, 02:29 PM
  #17  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by crg53 View Post
Andreas, that looks just perfect, very professional job. ...

+1
Wachuko is offline  
Old 06-20-2010, 03:32 PM
  #18  
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member
 
AOW162435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 15,800
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crg53 View Post
Andreas, that looks just perfect, very professional job.
The magic of Photoshop...


Andreas
AOW162435 is online now  
Old 06-20-2010, 09:41 PM
  #19  
Gregg-K
User
 
Gregg-K's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 202
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Any time I've replaced the plastic coupling elements with heim joints in the shifter mechanism of other cars, I have experienced rattles and/or buzzing.

This rod on the 964 does not connect directly to the transmission, so perhaps this mod does not suffer from increased noise (?)

... Gregg
Gregg-K is offline  
Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 PM
  #20  
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member
 
AOW162435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 15,800
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gregg-K View Post
Any time I've replaced the plastic coupling elements with heim joints in the shifter mechanism of other cars, I have experienced rattles and/or buzzing.

This rod on the 964 does not connect directly to the transmission, so perhaps this mod does not suffer from increased noise (?)
I've had no issue whatsoever - just a far more mechanical feel to the entire setup. Love it.


Andreas
AOW162435 is online now  
Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 PM
  #21  
kopo
 
kopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tampa,Fl
Posts: 168
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Jaime, Sorry to hear that you have yet another shifter problem.... I purchased both front rods from my local dealer for $175.68 with tax. What is the part number for the rear rod bushings that I need to order from PP? Thx Jason
kopo is offline  
Old 06-20-2010, 11:22 PM
  #22  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by kopo View Post
Jaime, Sorry to hear that you have yet another shifter problem.... I purchased both front rods from my local dealer for $175.68 with tax. What is the part number for the rear rod bushings that I need to order from PP? Thx Jason


Jason,

What did you order? 15 and 16?

If your #12 looks like this, you don't need anything else:

My C4



or like this (a C2) :




If it looks like this, then you need the bushings:




Part number in PP - 99-1758-424-M230




Let me know if you need them. I have a set that I don't need since my car has the link like the first photo. Just PM me your address and I will mail them.
Wachuko is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 07:36 PM
  #23  
kopo
 
kopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tampa,Fl
Posts: 168
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Bro, yeah it looks like the last picture except, not one single piece of bushing was left in the universal at all. Only bits and pieces of plastic in the boot. More like bushing dust. 100% metal on metal. Lol… I sent you a PM with my address….. And yes, I purchased #15 and #16 for 175.00 from my dealer here in Tampa.
kopo is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 AM
  #24  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by kopo View Post
Bro, yeah it looks like the last picture except, not one single piece of bushing was left in the universal at all. Only bits and pieces of plastic in the boot. More like bushing dust. 100% metal on metal. Lolů I sent you a PM with my addressů.. And yes, I purchased #15 and #16 for 175.00 from my dealer here in Tampa.
OK, I will drop those tonight in the mail. Easy to replace.
Wachuko is offline  
Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
  #25  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Bushings arrived







Still need to push them in so they sit under the lip...



Wachuko is offline  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 AM
  #26  
Gregg-K
User
 
Gregg-K's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 202
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Going to be interesting to see how easy it is to get them to pop in. Staying tuned ...

. Gregg
Gregg-K is offline  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 AM
  #27  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Now in place:

Wachuko is offline  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM
  #28  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Gregg-K View Post
Going to be interesting to see how easy it is to get them to pop in. Staying tuned ...

. Gregg
The bushing material is a little bit flexible. Three small flat screwdrivers it is all that is needed to get them in place.
Wachuko is offline  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 AM
  #29  
slips2
User
 
slips2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wachuko View Post
Now in place:
Beautiful!

To install the bushings, I applied a small amount of lube on the cup lip, then pushed the bushing in with a C-clamp & washer slightly smaller than the cup lip dia.
The C-clamp is also useful for pushing the lubed bushing cups over the ***** at the shifter and front attachment point.
slips2 is offline  
Old 06-24-2010, 12:04 PM
  #30  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slips2 View Post
Beautiful!

To install the bushings, I applied a small amount of lube on the cup lip, then pushed the bushing in with a C-clamp & washer slightly smaller than the cup lip dia.
The C-clamp is also useful for pushing the lubed bushing cups over the ***** at the shifter and front attachment point.
Great idea, did not think of doing that. Should have been a heck of a lot easier using that method.
Wachuko is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shift linkage bushing


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: