Sponsored by:

B&B BY-PASS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 PM
kopo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&B BY-PASS

Anyone running The B&B by-pass for both mufflers rear and r/h side? Im running the rear by-pass only and was wondering how much louder the car would be running both. Is it worth the $400.00? thx
Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The primary bypass (rear muffler) provides a nice sound, and you can quietly get into respectable places as long as you do not use a lot of throttle. I have heard a 964 with both bypasses in place, and frankly I wondered how the poor fellow was not deaf. For sure you would not want to take a long trip in an un-muffled car.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:50 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

When I was deciding which muffler to bypass, some suggested simply unbolting the secondary from the exhaust pipe to see if I liked the sound...disconnect the pipe and move it out of the way a bit. Free test.

Do you have a drilled airbox? Cat-bypass? Even stifer motor mounts gives you a bit more noise in the cabin. I would worry about a loss of torque with no muffler...
Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 AM
kopo
Instructor

911 Jetta, only mod is the B&B rear by-pass and a 100 cel cat. Love to get the car to sound more like a Porsche CUP CAR. I LIKE IT LOUD.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading loads of threads here I recall that you have to choose 2 of 3 bypasses. Cat bypass, primary bypass (cup pipe) and secondary bypass (g-pipe). Cat bypass and cup pipe (I think thats what you mean by "rear" bypass) might get you what you want. I guess you can try cat bypass with g pipe as well.

If you bypass everything then your car will sound like the video below. Awesome, but definitely too loud for everyday driving. Even if you think it sounds great at first, I think you (and your neighbours) will get sick of it very quickly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuIV7g-xVHk
Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Fabspeed - single in, dual out muffler. With both outlets open, it is loud! I only use this setup for DE'ing, as the drone is too much for daily driving. For the street, I made a bafflefor one side which effectively developes enough backpressure to quiet it down to a Very Nice rumble.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:43 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kopo
911 Jetta, only mod is the B&B rear by-pass and a 100 cel cat. Love to get the car to sound more like a Porsche CUP CAR. I LIKE IT LOUD.
kopo,
I understand, I've been to a few races with where Cup cars were running in anger. OMG! I don't think we could ever get our cars to sound like that, just because our engines don't rev that high, what a song at 8'500 RPMs.

I just drove this car around for a coulpe hours, and it also redefined what I thought loud was. It was a super cool experience though (note: the owner kept the car in a storage garage, FAR from his neighborhood):

Think about making the car louder inside also. Rip out the engine pad, it usually looks bad in most 964 engine bays that I've seen.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 PM
kopo
Instructor

911jetta, stop teasing me with 11 sec videos ............. ;-)
Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

I'm running a primary and secondary bypass ... I gotta tell you, I love it!! There is a very unique sound to it, almost like as if I have a small block v8 ... car enthusiast seem to love it too ... people are always giving me

For a while I also had a cat bypass ... now THAT was too much ... very droning on the freeways ... want to use a cell phone, don't even think about it!!! Also, you find yourself talking really loud to your passenger ...
Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 PM
kopo
Instructor

Hell, I think I'm going to try to fine a used one, And if I dont like it, I can just sell it . Thx

p.s. 911jetta, that 930 is FILTHY. Love it!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kopo
911jetta, stop teasing me with 11 sec videos ............. ;-)
I know, I know...the drive was during a family beach weekend so I already had tons of kid pictures on the camera. I was worried about filling up the memory stick. My wife would have KILLED me if I deleted pics of the kids for more Porsche video time. I got home I realized I had room for 30 more seconds of video. I was pissed! But you get the idea

I have a wicked-cool Porsche Cup start up video that I wanted to link instead, but it's on a computer I don't have access to right now. I can't stop thinking about good that Cup car sounded!

No more video, but I did take some pics of the 934:

http://picasaweb.google.com/udoreisinger2/Zork#

Seriously, unbolt the secondary to get and idea of the sound.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 PM
kopo
Instructor

Im going to just as soon as I can get some me time w/o the 3yo at my side...

Quick Reply: B&B BY-PASS