Sponsored by:

suspension dilemma's for the poor.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the info,

My car is going in for a geo at centre of gravity in June, but I'm sorting what components to stick on it myself and fitting them myself before Chris starts twiddling.
I used to have a 911sc thirteen years ago which had some bilstiens valved for the car fitted I got the car set up by the famous Phil Hindley of tec9, he set that car up great considering he used bits of string and hand held camber gauges.
All I want is lower and all the wheel pointing in the right directions on the targa.
I am getting my head around buying a h&r set of springs but green is for the narrow body car? but being heavy (c4) I suppose the turbo red will be the ones.
My car is on the turn,so its all later rear shox's for me .
I don't need coil overs as I will not want to be fiddling around all the time,so it's the best strutts and rear shock's then.
So we can take it that I'm buying h&r springs then and bilstien shocks.

What model of bilstien shock for a targa on those springs then?

Sorry to be a pain but I just want this right as the Targa resto/tart up, has stopped me spending on my 965 engine mods, I'll just have to be happy with 380 bhp for another year.

Thanks Gaz
Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Gaz, is really a false economy putting new lower springs on 85k mile shocks. I've done it on other brands of car and all it does is quickly finish off the old shocks. Its *really* worthwhile replacing the shocks and springs at the same time, plus it will save you about 4 hours labour in the long run when your 85k shocks give up completely and you need to swap them out.

Bilstein HD & H&R green or red (slightly stiffer).

HTH
Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you're putting new shocks on at the same time... it's best to do that when you replace springs. As for which one, the Bilstein HD seem to be very popular with the HR springs. For me, it took about 5 hrs last time I helped a fellow RL'er do his car. Done 3 of them now, including my own. It's not near as intimidating as you might think, once you realize how simple it is.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:26 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by screamingflat6
Thanks everyone for the info,

My car is going in for a geo at centre of gravity in June, but I'm sorting what components to stick on it myself and fitting them myself before Chris starts twiddling.
I used to have a 911sc thirteen years ago which had some bilstiens valved for the car fitted I got the car set up by the famous Phil Hindley of tec9, he set that car up great considering he used bits of string and hand held camber gauges.
All I want is lower and all the wheel pointing in the right directions on the targa.

Thanks Gaz
Gaz, did you watch Phil do the setting up? The reason I ask is that Danny (now at Unit 11) used to do a lot of the geo work at Tech 9. Especially on their race cars. Although I know Chris of CG well and would recommend him highly, it might just be worth your while dropping in and having a chat with Danny about what he would recommend (seeing as he is closer to home to you)?

p.s. Although you say you don't want go down the coilover route....I think my KWV3s are bloody marvellous
Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Steve,

The Targa was bought as a runaround car,basically to save the other two from coming out of the garage as I have ocd.
But as ever I cannot live without restore repaint and clean and clean and clean, so the bloody car I bought not to spend a penny on and not really care about has become a part of me.
I am going to Chris as he's done loads of mates cars and he's a alright bloke.
I can buy the kw's through a mate but its over kill for what the targa is about to me.
So lowered springs by h&r and bilstien shocks and that will do me, as I don't want it for the track,its function is run's out with you and the gang and i'll come in the rain as the two others DON'T DO RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I get caught they come home and get blown dry in my carcoon its a OCD thing.

I know I am a nerd but that's me.

"more tablets doctor"
Old 04-23-2010, 01:12 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Gaz, I agree with all your points except maybe the bit about you being a nerd .

Chris is indeed a top bloke. I've visited him a number of times and watched him work on other people's cars. You certainly get value for money from him. He's a perfectionist but doesn't charge extra if the job takes longer than it should. Just thought I'd check you knew of the alternative since you mentioned Tech 9.

I'm sure the billys and the H&Rs will suit your needs. The first time you take it out after having a new setup is one of the best days you will have in it. It was big grin day when I had mine done

BTW has anyone mentioned yet having the wishbone bushes done at the same time?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Steve,

I was looking forward to having a talk with you and a look at your coupe on the next run out its a shame your away.
But I hope we all get together again next couple of months for one of the meetings.
I thing Baz will be out next weekend and I think he'll give me good advise and as most of the gang will have changed to newer suspension I'll get some pointers of them.

Gaz.

ps, I'm mot'ing the turbo in the morning it's going to be sunny I HOPE!!!!!!

I'vE OWNED IT FOR FIVE YEARS AND 3K KHM'S
Old 04-23-2010, 04:45 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Don't forget to come along to the trackday at Oulton that there are now nine of us booked on and bring a helmet if you want some lifts round the track

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-2nd-june.html

Old 04-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gaz, just buy those bl00dy KWs will ya! Was my price expensive?

Or just go with the Green H&R springs.

This was how low it sat before putting the KWs on.....

Suitable for you, cheap as chips but not as comfortable on the ride.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:44 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

SUSPENSION,,,,

Hi Folks,

Today was Turbo time, its past its test and ready for the 1st of may god its quick!
You just forget what you have when you haven't used it for a while.
I was at my Porsche guru's garage today sorting the Turbo and he had a 964 there which he lowered 30mm and put bilstiens on.
I now have seen and felt what I want, its good enough for me and my pocket.
Norm,were mates and what you offered me was fantastic and I'll get some in the future for the Turbo but the Targa wouldn't be happy on that stuff as the shell just isn't rigid enough for it.
Get your **** over to mine and we'll have a garage fest and you can see the collection of prime pork.
Oh, Norm you can show me how to load loadsa pictures of my car's on the forum as I have been very rude on the forum and never done a hello am Gaz and these are my PORSCHER's yet thing.

Gaziller the last dinosaur with pc's
Old 01-05-2011, 04:04 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

After searching, rediscovered this topic. I am planning lowering my USA P964 C4 1991 100k miles in the near future.
Front shocks (wit old usa height springs) seem eeally new, however no bill in history maintenance about new front shocks. Rear shocks seem slightly older, but still in good condition (no oil leak, minor rust on outer housing rear shocks). All-in-all car suspension handles still good, but is at Paris-Dakar truck height (USA height).

I am reasonably handy and would like to start with original shocks. I raced a lot with carts, motors when I was younger. However I want to start learning, not at a too steep rate, driving my P on nurburgring etc. But probably 99% of the time I will drive the car (sporty) on normal roads.

Now comes the questions: which shocks should I start with here to lower it to RS-height? It would be even best if these springs would be also usable with more sporty shocks (will probably be something like Billstein PSS10, KW Clubsport/Racing with other swaybars) in the future, when I want/need them.

In this thread HR Turbo, HR Sport, KW Green and Eibach springs passed by. These were on my mind too. However not sure how these go with fitting on standard C4 USA shocks and future PSS10/KW-shocks.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by screamingflat6
Keep it coming please,

The car is ok on the rear, but the front must have 4 inches of travel to the arch.
I would love the car to have at most a couple of inches so she needs the 50mm treatment.
I am really after your experience and what worked for you, but 50mm is the goal I think.
The garage told me that the suspension platform spring collar is limited for a 50mm drop, so springs is the first call and maybe shocks because of the 85k miles means they are worn out.
I love the car and I want to do it right as I don't want a freshly painted car with allsorts of mechanical tinkering to do as she's getting a full hit in October(repaint)
So my plan is suspension and exhaust mods then its only basic maintance so no chance of a garage scratching my fresh paint.

Thanks for your help

Gaz,
The rear is okay looking probably because it's fallen down and the springs need replaced anyway.

There is not a lot of factory adjustment. About enough to balance the car but not enough to lower it a bunch.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
perelet
Instructor

Can somebody please measure and post thread length on Bilstein HD's compared to factory struts. I'm curious if Bilsteins add extra thread to lower the car.

Thanks!
Oleg.
90 964 C2
Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Here's a photo of my '91 with H&R Reds and the factory shocks. I've found this setup to be fine on the street over the past two years. Roads in the Philadelphia area are not great, either.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman

Now comes the questions: which shocks should I start with here to lower it to RS-height? It would be even best if these springs would be also usable with more sporty shocks (will probably be something like Billstein PSS10, KW Clubsport/Racing with other swaybars) in the future, when I want/need them.

In this thread HR Turbo, HR Sport, KW Green and Eibach springs passed by. These were on my mind too. However not sure how these go with fitting on standard C4 USA shocks and future PSS10/KW-shocks.

Thanks for the replies!
The PSS10 and KW kits are coilover kits. They come ready assembled with their springs so any springs you buy now won't be used if you fit either of those coilovers later on.

Quick Reply: suspension dilemma's for the poor.