Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension dilemma's for the poor.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension dilemma's for the poor.

Hi,

I have a March 1990 964 Targa, I would like my car to sit lower than it came from the factory.
I only want this car as a fast road vehicle no track action.
My head is in all directions of how I'm going to go lower and at a price were I haven't got to sell a Kidney.
Targa owners please tell me what is the cheapest way of loosing 50mm off the height and what should I refurb while I'm doing it.
Kw's seem to me as over kill for what I want to use the car for it's a 85000miler and drives okay really. I just cannot live with the 4x4 stance I have been pointed in the direction of Koni inserts and a set of h&r green springs but for the difference in price am I better spending more and running kw shocks on a street car?

Please help as I am confused and I am sailing around with ideas in my head like a rudder less boat.

Gaz
Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember the drop with the H&R Reds (turbo) springs I have on my cab, but it certainly got rid of the 4x4 ride height. I put bilstein HD shocks all the way around.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Dave White
Racer

Unless you want it really low, you should be able to lower the perches on the stock suspension quite a bit.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:27 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

H&R greens will be a good value option, but if you are unable to do the work yourself, its going to be about £300 or so ....

Kevin

Last edited by warmfuzzies; 04-22-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

H&R greens with stock dampers will lower the car 1.3" and 1.5" rear and front IIRC. Check their website, the info should be on there.

Last edited by crg53; 04-22-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default 4x4 targa it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooo high

Keep it coming please,

The car is ok on the rear, but the front must have 4 inches of travel to the arch.
I would love the car to have at most a couple of inches so she needs the 50mm treatment.
I am really after your experience and what worked for you, but 50mm is the goal I think.
The garage told me that the suspension platform spring collar is limited for a 50mm drop, so springs is the first call and maybe shocks because of the 85k miles means they are worn out.
I love the car and I want to do it right as I don't want a freshly painted car with allsorts of mechanical tinkering to do as she's getting a full hit in October(repaint)
So my plan is suspension and exhaust mods then its only basic maintance so no chance of a garage scratching my fresh paint.

Thanks for your help

Gaz,
Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by screamingflat6
Keep it coming please,

The car is ok on the rear, but the front must have 4 inches of travel to the arch.
I would love the car to have at most a couple of inches so she needs the 50mm treatment.
I am really after your experience and what worked for you, but 50mm is the goal I think.
The garage told me that the suspension platform spring collar is limited for a 50mm drop, so springs is the first call and maybe shocks because of the 85k miles means they are worn out.
I love the car and I want to do it right as I don't want a freshly painted car with allsorts of mechanical tinkering to do as she's getting a full hit in October(repaint)
So my plan is suspension and exhaust mods then its only basic maintance so no chance of a garage scratching my fresh paint.

Thanks for your help

Gaz,
In that case go with the Bilstein HD and the H&R green springs, I have mine set at RS ride height + 15 mm and alignment according to Bruce Andersons recommedations, very nice ride, firm but with great feed back.
I bought mine from www.shox.com, no affiliation, best prices around.

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep it coming please,

Thanks for your help

Gaz,
Your car is ok on the rear because the springs have sagged, well known issue to do with lots of heat at the back, so don't be fooled by that.
the most economic route is Bilsteins on H&R greens for value, but you'll still end up with a £1k bill or so, decide what you can afford first, and then go for it, or save for a few months and go a deal better.

kevin
Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Originally Posted by crg53
In that case go with the Bilstein HD and the H&R green springs, I have mine set at RS ride height + 15 mm and alignment according to Bruce Andersons recommedations, very nice ride, firm but with great feed back.
I bought mine from www.shox.com, no affiliation, best prices around.

that looks about like mine.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:32 PM
mr pg
Racer

Hi,

I have a March 1990 964 Targa, I would like my car to sit lower than it came from the factory.
I only want this car as a fast road vehicle no track action.
My head is in all directions of how I'm going to go lower and at a price were I haven't got to sell a Kidney.
Targa owners please tell me what is the cheapest way of loosing 50mm off the height and what should I refurb while I'm doing it.
Kw's seem to me as over kill for what I want to use the car for it's a 85000miler and drives okay really. I just cannot live with the 4x4 stance I have been pointed in the direction of Koni inserts and a set of h&r green springs but for the difference in price am I better spending more and running kw shocks on a street car?

Please help as I am confused and I am sailing around with ideas in my head like a rudder less boat.

Gaz
Gaz, I too have a'90 targa. I now have , Koni inserts at the front (they are adjustable), but sadly they no longer make them for our model year (the suspension design changed in case you weren't aware). I still have the Boge at the back, but will probably go for Bilsteins instead. I also have H&R greens.
You won't get a drop of 50mm. The RS was 40mm lower than standard, and when I had the springs fitted to mine, it I later found out it was a fraction lower than RS. Looked great, but ride and steering were hopeless. I took it to Center Gravity for a geo, and the Koni's, as the lowering had completely overwhelmed the original shocks. My car now sits at MO30 factory settings, but I may get this changed when having the Bilsteins fitted.
Don't get carried away with going as low as possible on a targa, as the less stiff chassis doesn't cope as well as a coupe. I'd recommend somewhere between RS and MO30 height. Get the geo set up correctly, which is essential.
I'd recommend at least enquiring with Chris Franklin at Center Gravity for he's views.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

H&R (turbo) Red & Bilsteins

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b92&id=1932796

You are looking at about 1k said and done.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:18 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Good advise PG, when I first had my Bilsteins/H&R's installed they set it up way too low; the car was all over the place i.e. bump steer, and personaly I like the look of the car when the radius of the tire follows the radius of the fender as close as possible; also if set too low you hit curbs on drive ways etc. etc.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:45 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The simple and cheap alternative is either the H&R greens or Ebach lowering springs with your current struts/shocks. It will be slightly stiffer, factory RS ride height (about 25" to the fender lip) and within the dampening capability of the factory valving. it will be less than half the cost of the full strut replacement.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:51 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Old shocks are still old, unless you are going to replace with new Boges
Old 04-23-2010, 03:10 AM
mr pg
Racer

Originally Posted by hawk911
Old shocks are still old, unless you are going to replace with new Boges
Agreed. Don't keep the old (worn out) shocks when you go lower.

Quick Reply: suspension dilemma's for the poor.