Sponsored by:

Monday Menagerie

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday Menagerie

Well, not much with the Porsche. I was going to drive it to a wedding consultation that was 80 miles away, but my wife said no. See, we had the kids, and were taking 2 cars to the same city 80 miles away. she had plans that night, so I was going to drive the kids home with me. that would mean she'd have to drive the Porsche home.... 5 yrs later, and she's only driven it once- and that was under duress!

so I have a few things to get done. I did change the heater ducting off the exchangers. Thanks tom for the ducting. now if you could have sent smaller hands to make the install a bit easier I hate small spaces on cars! Small spaces on other things are just fine You'll have mail this week too, Tom. Nothing big, just a Thank you for the "assistance".

got to replace the engine lid shocks soon; the desklid just falls now. Got to find time, as this weekend is a big photoshoot for me. I've helped organize a half dozen bikes and models, plus other people have organized some additional models. The space doesn't look like we're going to have room for cars, but I may bring the Porsche down anyway. I've got 1 model that has a very nice look that may go very well with the car so a wash and wax is in order before Saturday night.

so what about you?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Finally----finally----finally finished installing the roll cage, 6-point harnesses and Sparco Evo ii seats! Slow going, with a lot of new holes (all sealed up with silicone) and rerouted much of the underseat wiring.

Spent Friday changing out one of my young engineer's brake pads and rotors on his Infinity G35 (I was only "instructing" him on the How To, so why did I end up so dirty?)
Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
xeps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a ton of porsche work this weekend...

Finally got the bumper off (hoorah!). Whomever claimed it would be easier to undo the bolts that go through the aluminum bumper bar deceived me - penetrating oil, heat, impact wrench... nothing worked aside from a huge cheater bar and a ton of cursing.

Dropped a nut down beside one of the cylinders when putting the alternator and fan back in. Took a lot of effort to get it back out, tons of wasted time...

Still need to do a valve adjustment, and I'm wishing I had bought replacement upper covers. The inside of mine are flaking and generally terrible looking.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
hawk911
Race Car

James... look at refinishing those.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:19 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Great weekend of driving...then yesterday I noticed the oil temp gauge climbing to 10 o'clock (normal driving)?!

Time to do a search and learn all about "oil temp, thermostat, oil cooler, ballast resistor..."
I am a grasshopper and I am learning from my master, the 964...
Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM
hawk911
Race Car

no stop and go driving in 90deg weather, was it? for us, that's normal rush hour driving in summer
Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

My dad called me up on Friday to ask what I was doing Sunday. Usually this is because he has something fun planned like shooting automatic weapons. This time he wanted my help to remove a 700lb safe from a basement, up the stairs, into a truck and out of a truck. That is well in the weight of a piano. We got the job done using simple planks, straps, rollers, chains, and a come along. I was well impressed. Plus I got to drive the pcar out to their house in the country which was good fun.

I was in a client meeting this morning giving a spiel on developing IT solutions. The head honcho stands up in the middle of what I was saying and points directly at me and booms, “I DO NOT LIKE THAT!” Huh? I have had bad ideas before, but this was unexpected. “I do not like what you are wearing, that Porsche lanyard… every time I see your lanyard, I want to drive a Porsche and I do not have one.” He actually seemed to be upset. I forget the car is somewhat of a status symbol that can put some people off. I just like driving it. Oh well.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Great weekend of driving...then yesterday I noticed the oil temp gauge climbing to 10 o'clock (normal driving)?!

Time to do a search and learn all about "oil temp, thermostat, oil cooler, ballast resistor..."
I am a grasshopper and I am learning from my master, the 964...
I had a thermostat fail closed once about 10 years ago. The oil temp gauge would go that high. Fortunately, it didn't harm the engine. I hope you find the culprit and its easy/inexpensive.

My weekend was spent fighting off a head cold. No car work or fun. :-(

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 04-19-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:08 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched the best GP of the season so far while having a leisurely breakfast and then spent the day taking the door panels off to try and solve my door un-locking problem without any success
Old 04-19-2010, 02:33 PM
xeps
Instructor

Originally Posted by hawk911
James... look at refinishing those.
I'm wondering what I can do to the current valve covers without potentially compromising the seal.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had lots of car trouble, but nothing with the p-car. It sat in the garage all weekend. Had to replace the MERCON in the minivan, as the pump was groaning and whining.. .black foamy goo was replaced with shiny red stuff. It no longer groans. I need to educate my family on what sounds are bad, and what ones can be ignored. Also lent my old 85 Toyota pickup to my son, who left the lights on all day. Somebody attempted a jump start with the polarity backwards and fried all kinds of components. BAH. I have to get used to diagnosing a different car's issues. Until now it never needed any help, but the fuel pump won't run, and the radio is fried.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Originally Posted by xeps
I'm wondering what I can do to the current valve covers without potentially compromising the seal.
you mean to not have to replace it? Probably nothing but to replace the seals at repair time
Old 04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I just got back from vacation today. It sucks I have to go back to work tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:25 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Jim, most of us had to go back to work TODAY!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
xeps
Instructor

Originally Posted by hawk911
you mean to not have to replace it? Probably nothing but to replace the seals at repair time
The finish on the inside of the upper valve covers is flaking off, but not to the point that it is easily removed. It is clearly bubbling in spots and falling off from those spots outward.

I would like to remove the flaking finish without damaging the covers themselves, but I'm not sure of anything that will take it off without being overly abrasive.

I think I will just buy new uppers... perhaps I should have started a thread

Quick Reply: Monday Menagerie