Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do i take this little rubberlist/part away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 AM
johnjohnc2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do i take this little rubberlist/part away?

Hi,

How do i take this little rubberlist of the car without hurting it?
Is it just to open the hood and push it forward?

Bad picture but this whas the best i could find on my computer.

Thanx!!

Last edited by johnjohnc2; 01-04-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

It is actally put in during fender assembly.
I think there was a thread saying that you have to loosen some bolts and cut something to pull it out.
Search is your friend.

Last edited by velocitylover; 04-02-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Fender to Cowl Beading

The fender/cowl beading is secured by bolts holding the fender on the car in that corner. It's not easy to remove that trim piece. I've seen a shortcut where the top of the beading is cut off with a razor blade and a new piece beading is glued on top - not the proper way to do it and may not look as good unless skillfully done.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have just discussed this with the paintshop doing my respray in a few weeks and I too remember previous a previous thread that said they were fitted during wing assembly though I thought you had to break some spot welds as well as loosen the bolts but I may be wrong.

Edit: If you can wait a few weeks for an answer my car goes to the paintshop on the 12th so it won't be too after then that they will need to tackle this.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It IS possible to get it out - but it's not easy. Firstly you have to completely remove the several bolts that hold the fender to the scuttle. Loosening them is not enough since the sealing strip has holes that the bolts go through.

In addition, on most cars, there is a tack weld that holds the fender in place so you can't easily move the fender without cutting out the tack weld. An alternative which I found to work is to lever against the fender from the door aperture with a decent lever, just enough to make the gap wide enough to ease out the seal.

Once removed the new seal can be eased into position with a bit of lubrication. Put the bolts back in and you're done.

I replaced mine using this method because the fool who painted the car chose to paint over the seals and it looked terrible. See the top picture here.

Regards

Dave
Old 04-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dave, I will pass that info on to the bodyshop as that could save them a bunch of time.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:31 AM
wit007
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like that
http://tinyurl.com/yd65wkq
Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wit007
It looks like that
http://tinyurl.com/yd65wkq
Those seem to solve the problem of the bolts. Here are mine which I picked up from my local Porsche dealership and as Dave has mentioned they have a hole for the bolt to fit through.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
hawk911
Race Car

it sounds like he wants to remove it completely, not reinstall one.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:46 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default you need em

Hi,

My cousin bought a 3.2 carrera,the previous owner had the scuttle repaired where they all bubble on that joint,but he left the seals out.
The car leaked water into the front quite badly,so we put new seals in and the problem had gone.
You need them in,and that frontal area is into wind,think of the parasitic drag.
Could cost you some kmh's on the top end.

gaz
Old 04-02-2010, 06:24 PM
johnjohnc2
Instructor

Ok thanx.

I am going to repaint a part of my front fender, and the man who will do the repaint asked me if this part was easy to remove. I hope he kan do a nice work even if this stays on.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't let them paint the fender with the seal left in place - you will regret it for ever more. It doesn't matter how well they mask it, the seal moves and it will leave a ridge under the location where it was when it was masked.

Dave
Old 04-03-2010, 01:31 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I've removed this seal on earlier models and they were similar to the description above, except for the spot weld.

Only thing I have to add is:

Rather than removing all the bolts, if you can just loosen them enough to get the joint to open up, even slightly, you can pull the welting out by pulling hard enough to break the back part of the welting at the hole the bolt goes through.

Then, cut the corresponding back part off the new welting before installing, so that it can just be slipped past the bolts without removing them. When the bolts are tightened and the fender is snugged back up, the welting fill be held in place. Just be sure to get the alignment right.

I can't imagine painting a car without removing these seals. Even if it looks good day one, in a short time the paint will start to flake and peal away from the seal. Looks awful!

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Computamedic
I replaced mine using this method because the fool who painted the car chose to paint over the seals and it looked terrible. See the top picture here.

Regards

Dave
Ouch. Talk about spoiling the ship...
Old 04-04-2010, 04:49 PM
johnjohnc2
Instructor

Originally Posted by altarchsa
I've removed this seal on earlier models and they were similar to the description above, except for the spot weld.

Only thing I have to add is:

Rather than removing all the bolts, if you can just loosen them enough to get the joint to open up, even slightly, you can pull the welting out by pulling hard enough to break the back part of the welting at the hole the bolt goes through.

Then, cut the corresponding back part off the new welting before installing, so that it can just be slipped past the bolts without removing them. When the bolts are tightened and the fender is snugged back up, the welting fill be held in place. Just be sure to get the alignment right.

I can't imagine painting a car without removing these seals. Even if it looks good day one, in a short time the paint will start to flake and peal away from the seal. Looks awful!

Good luck.

Thanx,

I want the car 100% so i guess this have to be done. I am just glad to see there are a way arount having to take of the fender.

But do i have to loosen all bolts on the fender or is it just the one inside the hood? How many bolts is it total? Just the one under the hood and some on the inside of the open door? (I have the car in the wintergarage and can not see it now..)

Is it hard to get a grip of the welting and pull it out? Just to grip it and pull untill it breaks?

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: How do i take this little rubberlist/part away?