Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 c4 driving characteristics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 PM
roblav
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not so sure about that button with three suspension settings!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

I have a horrible feeling that the seller of that 964 hasn't got a clue what the rotating switch on the centre console does; if that is what you are talking about? Its only purpose is to engage/release the diff. lock. I think you should do some more reading/searching on RL and get to know a little more about the 964 C4; will help you avoid the BS on the next test drive

Last edited by meek; 03-28-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:24 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meek
I have a horrible feeling that the seller of that 964 hasn't got a clue what the rotating switch on the centre console does; if that is what you are talking about? Its only purpose is to engange/release the diff. lock. I think you should do some more reading/searching on RL and get to know a little more about the 964 C4; will help you avoid the BS on the next test drive
+1

It the switch the guy said adjusts the suspension the one in the pic below? This is the 4-wheel lock in a 1989 C4. The later model C4s would have 2 dial switches, one diff lock and one spoiler.

Although it is possible the car has an aftermarket electronically adjustable suspension, it would be expensive and unlikely.

A big difference in the feel of the car is the suspension. I am not sure of the service life of a stock 964 suspension, but a new aftermarket shocks and springs will make all of the difference in the world.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:08 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I've owned three mid-70's 911s before my current 89 C4. I would never buy another 2wd 911!

I know DE and full race owners prefer the C2, but I've autocrossed both the 2wd and the AWD 964, so I've learned where the limits are. The rear wheel drive cars always keep you wondering when you're going to hit that bit of oil or gravel, or where the edge is in the rain in everyday driving.

The 964 is much more fun than the 70's cars because of the power, and the C2 and C4 are almost identical in acceleration performance acording to specs. I believe the average driver can't tell the difference without a timer.

AWD is amazing, especially on a wet curves and twisties. For usual driving it's great. Unless you plan to spend almost all your time racing the car, I can't imagine why a C4 would not be preferred.

Regarding the additional mechanicals and controls in the AWD, The AWD system is just about the only thing I have not had problems with in my car.

Good luck and I hope you make the right decision for you.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The power steering of a 964 takes away a little of the feel you get from earlier 911s. However, you should still feel very connected with the road whether it's a C4 or a C2. Get the geometry checked out and adjusted at the very least. A badly set up car can feel numb and a little floaty at the front. A properly set up car should feel sharp.

Quick Reply: 964 c4 driving characteristics?