Sponsored by:

Air Recirculation Button Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:57 PM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Recirculation Button Fix?

The Air Recirc button on my AC panel is broken and won't stay in place on the switch. It appears that a piece has broken away on one side of the button and it can't clip into place properly. I can't source just the button and would be forced to replace the entire panel if I can't figure out a reasonable way to keep the button in place. Any ideas? (or spare buttons?)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

The switches, complete with buttons, are available separately from the dealer. There are only 2 button variations shown on PET for the US market so it shouldn't be difficult to establish which you need.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-25-2010, 06:50 PM
hamah
Pro

Thanks Dave. I was going by what was told to me by a US based wrecker/reseller who wanted $750 USD for the whole assembly.

I just got off the phone with the local dealer and indeed the switch can still be had at $236 CDN plus taxes. (yikes!).

While that is still expensive for such a rarely used item in a cab I am now at the point where I could try something like an epoxy fill on the button to hold it in place and buy a new switch if things didn't workout. I'd still love to hear if anyone else has tried something similar or has a spare switch/button kicking around.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:03 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

The buttons were available on eBay recently. Do a Porsche 964 search. It's a ine drawing for the picture.

I searched for over a year before I located a "defective" CCU from a fellow R'lister. Bought it at a good price just for the two small buttons.

The buttons have a couple of light bulbs behind them with a small spring that compresses against the back of the recess and (I think) a flat plastic plate with tabs on the sides. They are positioned on a thin piece of the plastic plate that allows them to compress then slide into holes in the sides of the recess, one set at OFF and one at ON. Be careful not to let the small spring shoot out of the recess if you try to remove the button and repair the tabs.

I heard you could get them from the dealer for about $75.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be less expensive to order the switches from the UK.

94465392200 tip switch air conditioner £56.59
94465392100 tip switch £103.74

The are ex-tax prices but you would not pay the tax if ordered form the US/Canada

Go to www.design911.co.uk

Regards

Dave
Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

hamah, if you're cheap like me, PM me if you would want to try to repair the one you have. I may have the part of the switch that's damaged. I could check on it this weekend.

I just had trouble paying what seemed like gemstone rates for such a small, crudely designed part. I felt like I got my money's worth with the entire CCU. At least I can send it in for repair and it will be worth more than the cost + repairs, making the buttons "free".
Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Oracle
Pro

This is what you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1040wt_1165

Very expensive IMO but it's your money
Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

951s and 944s use the identical switches/buttons (same part number). Mine were scratched so I found a cheap 951 control panel, removed the switches (they simply plug in to the base circuit card), then resold the working 951 control panel. It ended up costing me about $30 for both switches.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 PM
92silver964
Racer

I've been looking for one myself since my was scratched up pretty bad by the PO. $100 new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item3eedf8a669
Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 PM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by Oracle
This is what you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1040wt_1165

Very expensive IMO but it's your money
hhhmmm. The illustration for this item doesn't seem right. I'd be looking at switch #7. In my case that position is actually 2 switches. The top one (the one broken in my case) is the Air Recirc switch while the one below it is the Defroster switch. Is it possible this is just a poor drawing and that both switches are in a single housing?

EDIT:

oops I missed the enlargement and in fact both the Air Recirc and Defrost switches are in the single housing. I still think that is steep for the switch considering I'd likely never use either one but I'm at bit OCD

Last edited by hamah; 03-26-2010 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Edit for correction
Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 PM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by 92silver964
I've been looking for one myself since my was scratched up pretty bad by the PO. $100 new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item3eedf8a669
Unfortunately that is the wrong switch for me. In my case I'm looking at the switch to the right (top right if there are in fact 2 separate switches in that position) of the Air Distribution slide controls. While still expensive that is more reasonable than the price I've been quoted.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:34 PM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by altarchsa
hamah, if you're cheap like me, PM me if you would want to try to repair the one you have. I may have the part of the switch that's damaged. I could check on it this weekend.

I just had trouble paying what seemed like gemstone rates for such a small, crudely designed part. I felt like I got my money's worth with the entire CCU. At least I can send it in for repair and it will be worth more than the cost + repairs, making the buttons "free".
PM sent

Quick Reply: Air Recirculation Button Fix?