Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the Transmission Mounting from a G50/03 Manual Trans Still On the Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 AM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Removing the Transmission Mounting from a G50/03 Manual Trans Still On the Car

Would appreciate any details regarding the removal of the stock rubber transmission mounting from a G50/03 manual transmission still in a C2. My search hasn't turned-up a DIY write-up / detailed discussion on rennlist.com, or elsewhere.

After properly supporting the transmission, removing the transmission carrier looks to be straightforward, leaving only the rubber trans mounting as an obstacle. Specifically looking for any techniques & tools for removing the stock rubber trans mounting pressed into the front of the transmission housing. Is there a gear press or something similar that will do the job with the limited access while on the car? Heat the transmission housing before using a block and mallet?

On another note, my GPW C2 wants to be a Cup car one-day ...
Old 03-25-2010, 05:32 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

That's not an easy job from under the car, but I'd do it like this. Use a hole-saw and drill/saw out as much as possible of the rubber. Then take a metal saw and saw through the outer edge/rim of the bushing. When you have a slot you can take something sharp and flat, like a big screwdriver, and bend around the slot. Now the hole rim should start to give up. The new bushing shouldn't need that much force to get in place, sand down and clean the surface on the tranny house, maybe a little, little grease then you should be able to press it in place.

Thomas
Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 AM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thomas, I wasn't thinking, thanks for setting me straight.

Last year I used a similar approach to convert a 1987 944 Turbo torsion bar suspension, with rubber-metal bushings, to coil-overs, plus firm-up the suspension with Delrin bushings. Even with parts off the car, it was a major effort for ten or so bushings of the torsion tube, rear trailing arms, both front control arms, etc. At least the 964 transmission mount is only one rubber-metal bushing, so how long could it take with a compact hacksaw on the metal bushing? Whatever, I'll will take my time. Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:09 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I will soon this to but when my tranny/engine is out of the car for some other work. What bushing will you use instead of stock? I'm going for the semi solid one from Turbokraft.com. Solid delrin gives to much noice and vibrations.

Thomas
Old 03-29-2010, 12:13 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
... What bushing will you use instead of stock? ... I'm going for the semi solid one from Turbokraft.com.
Thomas
I haven't decided whether to use the stock rubber/metal bushing or go with the Turbokraft RS Semi-Solid Transmission Mount Kit. I just replaced the C2's original hydraulic engine mounts with the solid rubber 993 C4 mounts, which firmed-up the drivetrain considerably. I'd like to avoid additional rigidity & NVH in the drivetrain for the intended mostly street use. Anyone have experience with this Turbokraft mount?

Click here for a Turbokraft mount link

Quick Reply: Removing the Transmission Mounting from a G50/03 Manual Trans Still On the Car