Sponsored by:

Fabspeed catback vs. header system

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Dave White
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabspeed catback vs. header system

I will be purchasing a new exhaust to go with my rebuild, I was wondering what your thoughts are of the full exhaust vs just the muffler system. Both seem to make the same gains, but the header system is $$$$$$ more! Is it worth it? Does either drone more than the other? Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It depends what you are looking for. If you have an otherwhise stock engine and look for HP increase, the RSR Header/Muffler system is wasted money. The The cat delete and G-pipe will probably give you (nearly) as many HP. However, the SOUND of the RSR Header/Muffler set is awesome, I have it on my 993, and I love it! Sounds like a GT3 on idle, reasonable quiet when your not hard on the gas, and a high pitch scream on WOT. No drone on cruisiong speeds (around 3000rpm). IMO, it's probably worth the price just for the sound.

If you have a modified engine with 350+HP, then this sytem will be significantly better than the stock.

Have you looked up the Max-Speed Header/Muffler system? http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/...ngexhaust.html -It loks very similar to the Fabspeed one, but with only one muffler outlet. I have also seen a Billy Boat system that looks exactly like this one. Maybe not Fabspeed quality, but half the price...
Old 03-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

I have a Fabspeed cat bypass and dual out set up on a stock engine. Sounds awesome and no drone on the highway.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Default Drone City!!!!

I have had four separate exhaust systems on my 3.6L motor. I have been trying to find the best system with good performance, heat and not too loud. I currently have the complete Fabspeed exhaust system with heat and removable cats. The is probably the best system yet considering my needs. However, the drone is terrible from 2500 - 3100 rpm. It is maybe a little better with the cats installed. This is my fourth exhaust system. They all have drone with the exception of the stock heat exchangers. I believe the performance of the Fabspeed system is equal to that of my super expensive S-Car-Go headers system. IMHO, If you want a quiet exhaust system the Fabspeed headers with cats are the only choice available. The quality is also quite good.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Dave White
Racer

Thanks for all of your replies, I am going in for a 3.8 conversion, plus some other things. I currently have a gutted 1st muffler and airbox mod, which gives me some drone at wide open at a specific rpm(can't remember where off the top of my head). The B&B systems have been prone to cracking, and their warranty seems to be worthless for guys that have had problems. Basically, I want good power and sound, and near zero drone, but will accept it if I'm WOT.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In my opinion, the fabspeed dual outlet muffler drones at cruise 2500-3500 and is annoying. Their header system and muffler however, sound like a classic 2.7RS engine with no drone at all. YMMV
Old 03-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Dave White
Racer

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
In my opinion, the fabspeed dual outlet muffler drones at cruise 2500-3500 and is annoying. Their header system and muffler however, sound like a classic 2.7RS engine with no drone at all. YMMV
Thats what I want to hear, are you running cats? Now, is it worth 3 grand? Do I need the tips? I checked out the maxflow system, out of stock and no heat. I do want heat exchangers. I might get collector plates this year, which in Ohio exempts me from smog testing, so cat might not be necessary.

Interesting how 2 people have complete opposite opinions on the catback system. Anyone else have a catback opinion?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

I have used a lot of the maxspeed stuff both on my vehicle and to fit to customers vehicles and I can confirm that it is really nice gear for a very reasonable price.
I have used both the Cat bypass systems and the full header system and whether for a 964, 993, 996 or 997 the thing that impresses the most is the abscence of droning which seems to be a major issue with most aftermarket exhausts for Porsches. It is worth considering if that is the way you want to go.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Dave White
Racer

Those of you with the header kits, can you confirm that there is no drone? On page 13 of this thread,https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/486611-fabspeed-964-c2-c4-rs-rsr-header-muffler-kit.html?highlight=fabspeed I can hear in car drone at times 2:02, 2:06, 2:13 when he shifts. I also had someone pm me that their drone was so bad they sent it back. It sounds great from outside, but if it drones(resonates) inside, especially where you might be cruising at, my wife wouldn't ride with me, I probably wouldn't care for it either. Those that say it is quiet, do you have a cut/cup airbox? Maybe it's something other than the exhaust for some people causing the drone?
Old 03-13-2010, 11:31 AM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
In my opinion, the fabspeed dual outlet muffler drones at cruise 2500-3500 and is annoying.
That reflects my experience with Maxflo duals + 100 cell cat (stock headers). Removed and returned.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Dave White
Racer

Sorry to revive my own thread from the depths. I received many conflicting responses, as I guess everyone has their own opinion of what is acceptable. I was wondering if there is anyone within 50 miles or so of me in Cleveland that would let me hear their system? Specifically, the header setup. If you have a coupe, that would be best. I also will be flying into Miami next Sunday, 3/28, probably staying somewhere near the airport, if there is anyone in that area that could give me a listen, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave,

One option I read about on RL somehwere for someone who found the Fabspeed setup (I forget which) droned was Car Chemistry inserts that really helped.

My Fabspeed header system is still in the process of being installed so I cannot comment but, if it does drone, I'll get a set from CC to try out.

Marc
Old 11-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bumping a very old thread. anyone have the fabspeed header back setup? i cant decide to keep my exhaust ( which i havent even heard yet) or just send it back and pony up for the headers as well.
this would be a daily driver. had plenty of loud cars, just want to know how awful it is
Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had that set up on my car, took it off and returned it for a refund. The drone was simply unbearable. The sound and performance of cat bypass and cup pipe or G pipe is much better for a fraction of the cost.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a new muffler design for the RSR header muffler kit that has zero drone. For those that are interested you can send one of our sales guys a pm, or call in.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed catback vs. header system