Sponsored by:

ENGINE CARRIER PAINT OR SHOT BLAST

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile ENGINE CARRIER PAINT OR SHOT BLAST

hello all just did the mod to my engine carrier on my list of things to do however I used stainless steel metal along with stainless steel weld so it will not rust. But to make it look pleasing to the eye I am considering using Hammerite (Rust proof brush on paint) in black or going for a shot blast & powder coating session in gloss red ...

Was wondering if my engine carrier has been replaced by previous owner at some point because it had two steel brackets already seam welded in at what porsche must consider a stress point. I have noticed some peoples brackets break at the point where mine was already reinforced.

since I had it out I thought I will modify ...

doing a leak on the timing chain cover as well while I have rear bumper off had to replace camshaft seal o ring along with gasket as well as timing cover gasket. was gonna powder coat timing cover but its plastic???
Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 PM
CBR786
Pro

here are the pics tried uploading not sure if they will take here goes
the silver bit is what i bodgered and the the other bit was already present

Last edited by CBR786; 01-23-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would not have used SS; generally mild steel for that sort of thing. The engine carrier does a lot of flexing and now you have 2 different types of steel trying to do the same thing, not the best choise.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:19 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Powder coat semi gloss black IMHO

Nice welds BTW...
Old 03-08-2010, 06:19 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the carrier had not broken and the welds were evidence of repairs, I think the welds might have been precautionary. There was a thread a while back about reinforcing the carrier to prevent failure, as some had experienced. Maybe someone was just rying to avoid a problem.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:20 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

+1 black. I wouldn't draw attention to such a utilitarian, unexciting part by painting it red!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just did this. High temp glossy black (wanted satin but they didn't have any at the hardware store). As mentioned, it's not going to get a lot of visibility but the rust protection is nice.

This is the Rennline reinforcement brace before and after. I'd say this is a must have for anyone who tracks their car.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 09-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
CBR786
Pro

useful comments gonna go with black did not realise I was gonna start a turf war between two different types of metals ? hope they neutralise each other out other wise I might have done something silly..

On a good note car is a convertible so will not be tracked only street use hopefully this will mean the metals can get along and be good neighbours..

otherwise the flexing might cause adverse effects to other areas of the carrier warping or something ... time will tell ..

here is a pic of the timing chain gonna pull the sprocket and change out the o ring & gasket to cure drip drip leak when car warms up

Last edited by CBR786; 01-23-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I painted mine black with POR-15 to ward off the rust demons.

Marc
Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Just did this a few weeks ago. Those patches were on my carrier too. I chose to have the parts powder coated satin black. Came out pretty good and witht he guy I went through, was not more expensive than having him paint it for me.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:17 AM
roblav
Advanced

I just did mine too with the engine rebuild. The carrier had re-inforcing welds in the same spots as shown here. I also Tig'd a couple of angled cut steel tubes between the bolt mount bosses and the stamped steel. As designed, the stock carrier is relying on those welds to the mount bosses, which will flex (then break). I did not like that design at all. The Rennline part looks nice but probably overkill for a streetcar.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the difference in metals becomes an issue as they have different material properties. Mild steel will flex and bend, and also respond to heating and cooling differently than Stainless steel. They simply have different properties and coefficients for heat. That's the worry, as heat cycles mount up, will you simply have a situation where the parts separate from each other. Also will the SS welds actually bond perfectly with the mild steel? This is beyond my expertise, but I wonder if that repair will last... It might have been better with all mild steel. Just my devalued $.02
Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't even know you would weld stainless steel and mild steel together. I learn something new every day here.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM
CBR786
Pro

I am no engineer in this field etheir but I assume thats stainless steel is more expensive then mild steel.. Also exaust and headers which are made from stainless steel have to be able to cope with extremes of engine temps so if anything the mild steel will flex and crack easier then the stainless steel ...

I agree that the mild steel would flex and the stainless steel will not it is more rigid and thus might result in a seperation of weld I will keep an eye on it and see what happens ... if need be it will be done again but I will update people if this eventuality arises..

Old 03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

CBR, there are many different types of SS, and some are an excellent choice for their specific purpose, the down side in your case is, it is very heavy compared to mild steel, secondly it work hardens and becomes brittle and is prone to cracks, so when you have 2 different materials like that welded together, they work against each other instead of together. That said, chances are that your mount can outlast the car, I was just pointing out that is was not the best combination.

And yes, SS can be welded to a host of other materials, as long as the procedure is correct.

Quick Reply: ENGINE CARRIER PAINT OR SHOT BLAST