Sponsored by:

ENGINE CARRIER PAINT OR SHOT BLAST

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 PM
92silver964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR786
I am no engineer in this field etheir but I assume thats stainless steel is more expensive then mild steel.. Also exaust and headers which are made from stainless steel have to be able to cope with extremes of engine temps so if anything the mild steel will flex and crack easier then the stainless steel ...

I agree that the mild steel would flex and the stainless steel will not it is more rigid and thus might result in a seperation of weld I will keep an eye on it and see what happens ... if need be it will be done again but I will update people if this eventuality arises..

My 2 cents: Stainless steel is generally more "flexible" than mild steel due to its slightly lower elastic modulus and increased ductility. Also not sure if I would classify the Porsche engine carrier as mild steel - it may be a higher carbon grade in order to increase strength/weight. Lastly, the issue I would be more concerned about is the difference in thermal expansion rates between stainless and carbon steel. Stainless "grows" at a rate around 1.5X that of steel. So, if a lot of heating and cooling goes on in the area of the stainless/steel weld joint, then you may experience cracking at some point. Perhaps you can grind the welds smooth to help minimize crack precipitation.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: ENGINE CARRIER PAINT OR SHOT BLAST