Sponsored by:

That old car smell...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:17 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default That old car smell...

After about a month I got my 964 back from the body shop. You might recall I got rear-ended in a parking lot bender. Low speed. At first I thought it was just a set of rear lights, but of course the body shop thought differently. Long story short, it became nearly $6K of body work, and I threw in a bit extra to get a new windshield, and to have that ubiquitous rust bubble at the bottom corner of the windshield repaired. They had decided to paint the roof all the way to the front valance under the wipers, so it was only an incremental bill to get the windshield done too.

Generally the car looks great. They re-did the felt seal for the sunroof, used a genuine Porsche windshield and seal (I insisted) and all the taillights are new. There is a nice coat of delicate black paint over the whole top of the car. Now the hood and front end look kinda shabby by contrast. I need to let the paint cure a bit, then I'll claybar and polish as best I can to make the rest of the car come up to standards. The roof paint is a godsend, as the previous owner had hired a goon to "detail" the car, buffing it out to the point that primer began to show through on the roof. Whee!

The only bummer is that I just spent the last 2 hours repairing the retractable spoiler. For some reason it wouldn't go back to its rest position. They had botched the installation and had bent the closing microswitch, so it was sticking up about 2 inches at rest. Also the airbag light was on. Good thing I have the diagnostic tool, so I could reset that error.

This is typical for this shop, as they had returned a car to me with a piece of trim that was painted the wrong color. It was a graphite car, with a black piece of trim... not matching anything else. I need to have a word with their QC people. Who returns a car with warning lights on, and a spoiler that doesn't retract... ugh.

Also, isn't there supposed to be a strip of rubber trim above the taillights? I have a gap of about 3/8 inch between the light and the fender...

Otherwise, super glad to have that old Porsche smell around again... leathery and oily.

Smells like Victory .
Old 03-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it go after being gone ?

"Also, isn't there supposed to be a strip of rubber trim above the taillights?"
Early = yes , Later = not so much , iirc .
Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

The early models(89-91) have a gasket that goes around the lights.
If you need I have 2 new gaskets.
Dwane
Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhhhh you are going to start a thread like this and NOT have 964 pics?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 PM
paa502
Pro

Congrats - glad you got it back and are happy with work. How about a picture of BRAND NEW rear lights? Interested in the difference.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will post pics when we get some sunlight. The new black paint is super pretty, with the new lights. Right now its dark and snowing...
Old 03-09-2010, 11:59 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbennett017
I will post pics when we get some sunlight. The new black paint is super pretty, with the new lights. Right now its dark and snowing...
You are back in my good graces.

Quick Reply: That old car smell...