Sponsored by:

Interior re-trim complete - pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:04 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior re-trim complete - pics

I would say that this is a showing-off post, but other than my bank balance taking a big bow, all praise must go to David Nunn and his team at Southbound for their superb workmanship, dedication and attention to detail. It really was a pleasure doing business with them and I can't thank them enough. Also, a big thank you to dfinnigan for helping me source the RS seatbelt reel covers. You really were an unexpected boon in getting them over to the UK. You are the epitome of what RL is. All I need to do now is pass the good deed on... . Pics are below, before I waffle on: all carpets and leather are new.

The only hic-up we had was getting the correct colour for the leather, which is Matador Red. The company that used to supply it to Porsche went bust in 1996 and none of the 30+ German/Austrian suppliers could help. We ended up having 3 full hides custom dyed to get the closest match possible. Worked out extermely well, though getting pictures of it for this post is nye on impossible. I am sure it will look 100 different shades of red through to pink to 100 different Rennlisters. A poor description, but it is a dull red.

I was aiming for an RS Touring-ish look, keeping it as authentic as I could. Infact, the only non-period details are the door pockets ( though inspired by older 911s ) and the 993 RS door handles. I am still not sure about those. The aluminium look insert is not my thing, so I may paint that black. I wanted 964RS handles, but the recent price review by Porsche sent them up to £400 for the pair (!?!?~%*$£!!!). I thought RS handles were plain black plastic, but these 993 ones are black leather, plus the insert; £100 the pair - bargain!. Anyhow, something to faff about with later. Anyone know if I can take the insert out without breaking it or if anyone makes good copies of the orignal 964 items?

I had a great drive back home with it today. Soooo many traffic jams! Excellent! Three hours of stroking and sniffing - big all the way. Everyone else parked on the M3 must have thought me high or crazy.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:09 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally beautiful... Great with your car color too.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Hey, it is a brand new car! Simply beautiful.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:27 PM
johnjohnc2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

NICE!! Very nice!
I diddnt think you could get this lovely originallook if you had to change the leather.
Do you want to tell ut how much you had to pay?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:38 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Now, that is nicely rendered.
Well done.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Thanks chaps. I knew someone would ask how much. Don't know why I feel coy about it. But, if I type it fast it won't be so shocking...£5,700.... no, still looks HUGE.

There were cheaper options, but having gone that route before and regretted it, I went with the get what you pay for attitude. Southbound are the UK Porsche trimmers. You would never hear them say, "that will do". The re-trim was delayed because of that mentality. David could have got the car back to me a month ago, but he spotted an issue with the leather, wasn't happy and stripped it all out and started again with fresh hides, at his expense. When he told me what he was doing and why, I know I would have never spotted the fault that he was correcting. I spent a year debating whether to get it done and saw the work of various firms at numerous Porsche shows, all of which looked good, but not great. Met David, saw his work and knew from there that he was the man. ( mmmm....hope that doesn't sound...wrong.. )
Old 02-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by meek
Thanks chaps. I knew someone would ask how much. Don't know why I feel coy about it. But, if I type it fast it won't be so shocking...£5,700.... no, still looks HUGE.

There were cheaper options, but having gone that route before and regretted it, I went with the get what you pay for attitude. Southbound are the UK Porsche trimmers. You would never hear them say, "that will do". The re-trim was delayed because of that mentality. David could have got the car back to me a month ago, but he spotted an issue with the leather, wasn't happy and stripped it all out and started again with fresh hides, at his expense. When he told me what he was doing and why, I know I would have never spotted the fault that he was correcting. I spent a year debating whether to get it done and saw the work of various firms at numerous Porsche shows, all of which looked good, but not great. Met David, saw his work and knew from there that he was the man. ( mmmm....hope that doesn't sound...wrong.. )
Adam

That interior looks amazing, yes its a lot of money. But you now have one of the best interiors in one of the best Porsche's. I ask you, can you put a price on that????
Worth every penny!!!
Tell me, how do you feel when you open the car door, smell, see and feel that interior?? See you now know its worth the money.

Barty
Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
johnjohnc2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if the car is a keeper for a very long time, then why not.
It must be a nice feeling to sit in a ld car that feels like new.. I felt this in my 944 Turbo cab with only 9500km on the clock

Well must say that silver/red is a stunning combination.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Redcoat
Instructor

meek

That looks fantastic, money well spent!

I love the doorpockets and seat piping.

More pics please!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:15 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Aye, it is worth the money. Will keep telling myself that, over and over and over again It is a keeper, which is why I decided to go for it. I really can't think of any other car that I would want to replace it. There are others that I would like to add to a mini collection, but not replace my 964. Hopefully get my 944 Turbo back one day, plus a Lancia Fulvia 1600HF, Citroen DS and or Traction Avant...etc.... . I can't think of another car that would tick all the same boxes; style, unique sound, oily/leather smells, ticking of the head cooling fins after a good blat, view out font over the bazooka tubes, rock solid build quality and putting all the power down out of a corner; great!

Will post some more pics in the general pic thread when I can. Dark and cold over here now, so must go to bed early to I can wake up sooner and drool over it again in daylight. I know, I know...sad little boy.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
paa502
Pro

Stunning. Really nice! Looks like a million bucks, er pounds..whatever..

Like the whole package. Looks factory and pristine. Perfect. A+.

Last edited by paa502; 02-17-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:44 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks superb!

Well worth the money - an investment in your car that you will enjoy every time you're in it.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 PM
V
Drifting

Alan, I'm very impressed. WOW! Stick with the 993 door handles, they look great!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, that looks amazing!

Quick Reply: Interior re-trim complete - pics