Suggested cross post from 993 re: carpet removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Suggested cross post from 993 re: carpet removal

So I've searched and read all the threads, but they aren't quite getting at what I'm trying to find out.

I'm considering switching carpet colors, so I'd need to remove the existing and install new/kit/used/whatever, plus sound deadening (I use the car for the street still too, so don't want to go sans-insulation).

I understand that removing the carpet, sound insulation, and glue completely (if you are going full race set up) is a complete pain in the ***, esp. removing all the glue. I also understand that removing the sound insulation from the existing carpet in tact for reuse is essentially not an option since Porsche used some sort of super glue. With this glue plus after 15 years in the car the sound insulation will either stick to the carpet or come off it in pieces.

What I don't have a clear picture on is how hard it is to remove the existing carpet if all you are going to do is put some other back in? I don't care if the sound insulation sticks to the carpet, and I don't care if there is a little residue (at least, I don't think I care?). In other words, how easy / hard is it to pull up good enough that you can smoothly lay new carpet/insulation?

Thoughts? Estimates on time to remove?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:08 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

You can get enough out to make it look good without going insane.

Thomas
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

From my experience there is a good glue and a bad glue side to this - Porsche used one glue type that has gotten brittle and hard with age, turned a orange color. This glue comes off fairly easy and can be broken off or scrapped off without much of and issue. The other glue - the tacky until you die glue - is the glue that is the pain. This glue was used in most areas where the carpet was glued directly to the body works and on some sound proofing, or on the sound proofing when glued to the body. It is strong stuff and caused me to tear some of the carpet when trying to pull out. That is to say were the tacky glue was used the backing of the carpet was glued to the body so well it pulled the face of the carpet through the carpet mat.
If you are careful you may be able to save large sections of the insulation, but mine came out mostly in pieces and parts. I used a very sharp putty knife and utility knife to cut the tacky glue as I pulled up the carpet or insulation. The insulation ( made of foam with a backing ) tends to tear out very easily, so cutting at the glue line is the only way to really save as much as you can. This seemed to work pretty well but does leave a mess. You cans then wire brush the parts left attached off. I don't think that there is an easy solution to getting the glue up. I used a wire brush but after a while it filled up with glue, used the putty knife and it helped, tried solutions - just kind of moved the tacky glue around - but did make it a little smoother - so if you are re-carpeting getting the old glue smooth (to flatten out) is your goal. If you are putting the sound proofing back in then you will be covering up a lot of the mess - so it should not be a major effort - the only areas you will have to really work to smooth the glue out is those areas where the carpet is directly on the body work and you have glue build up. Probably about 15 %

Quick Reply: Suggested cross post from 993 re: carpet removal