Sponsored by:

Oil Level Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM
RacinToday
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Level Question

Greetings. Just did a search on this and did not find precise answer so...
Is it normal, or OK, for the needle on the oil gauge to be fairly steady in the red when driving down the highway at 3,200 rpms?
The dipstick says oil level is perfect. And the gauge rises well into the white when car is idling.
The manual said the movements of the needle are irrelevant when the car is being driven but, boy, I would hate to make a mistake on oil level.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that is irregular. It rattles me too, but once warm and at idle, it should come up.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

No worries. That's normal. The oil level in the oil tank will vary depending on rpm, attitude of the car (hilly areas vs flat) and acceleration forces.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't look at the gauge when you are rolling .
When you are stopped at a red light , look at the gauge and see if you have lost any oil since the last red light oil check .
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
When you are stopped at a red light , look at the gauge and see if you have lost any oil since the last red light oil check .
Checking the oil level at every stop light... you called me out on that one! Sometimes I forget to check the level for a couple miles... of course I add a quart when I get home...

You have to have a sense of humor with these crazy cars!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 PM
RacinToday
Instructor

Thanks, guys. Was not real worried as the dipstick showed there was the right amount of oil. I have a lot to learn about these cars and it's great to have a support group.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife always forgets that the guage means nothing while driving and until the engine is warm. She also gets nervous when the oil pressure light comes on at idle occasionally. I just have got used to it. They also have a lot of oil in them. If they were down 1/2-1 quart, could it really hurt the car?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

My oil level sender is bust and I have been using the dipstick recently...I actually find the dipstick in the 964 really hard to get an accurate reading from so your doing better than I am!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Duck
If they were down 1/2-1 quart, could it really hurt the car?
Being down 1/2-1 quart is nothing .

2 quarts in the cooler ,
2 in the case ,
1 in the oil filter ,
1 in the hoses ,
6 or 5 1/2 or 5 in the oil tank ?
Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 AM
frankvan
Pro

I also find that the dash gauge can be inconsistent between different cars.
Mine won't show a level until the engine is completely warm but with the thermostat closed plus it will drop as soon as the revs climb above idle. I can also tell the moment the stat opens as the level drops almost instantly on the gauge. Mine also seems very sensitive in the upper half of the scale - half a liter more will take it to the top of the gauge.
A friend's 964 oil gauge will show a level as soon as the engine is slightly warm and doesn't change when his t-stat opens (unless his stat is broken and doesn't open). He'll also show a level, albeit lower, up to about 2500 rpm.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Before adding oil, you should also remember, that your oil level gauge will show a bit higher when the oil temperature is high, as opposed to a very cold day, when it may be lower.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by RacinToday
The manual said the movements of the needle are irrelevant when the car is being driven but, boy, I would hate to make a mistake on oil level.
I have found from experience that if the gauge needle stays elevated while driving (e.g., to where it should be at warm idle) then the oil level is too high - it's overfilled. Curious if anyone else has found that out. Only made that mistake once. Other than that occasion, my needle has always stayed pegged at the bottom of the gauge while driving.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does vary from car to car, but remember that even when it's off the bottom of the gauge or dipstick, there's still (almost certianly) a hell of a lot of oil in there - the gauge and dipstick are only showing the tip of the er... oilberg, so to speak. Overfilling is definitely the risk if you get too **** about it all.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/503895-oil.html
Old 02-03-2010, 02:05 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frankvan
I also find that the dash gauge can be inconsistent between different cars.
Mine won't show a level until the engine is completely warm but with the thermostat closed plus it will drop as soon as the revs climb above idle. I can also tell the moment the stat opens as the level drops almost instantly on the gauge. Mine also seems very sensitive in the upper half of the scale - half a liter more will take it to the top of the gauge.
A friend's 964 oil gauge will show a level as soon as the engine is slightly warm and doesn't change when his t-stat opens (unless his stat is broken and doesn't open). He'll also show a level, albeit lower, up to about 2500 rpm.
Only Porsche would make a gauge that is effectively useless, unless the user understands the basics of air/oil cooled engines, thermostats, and showing zero oil and running in the red is just fine.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Question