Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 with 75 miles... $130,000?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:33 AM
doug751
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought a 1989 C4 Coupe with 3000 miles on the odometer 3 years ago. It was like a brand new car when I picked it up. Paid $42,000 for it. Now have 15,000 miles on the odometer. Very happy with purchase decision compared to paying $27 K for a ratty 1993 a couple years before.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
at this point in time, based on info my bro in law in japan has been provided, we remain of the opinion is in a from the factory 94 flachbau (flatnose) euro spec turbo.....and not "converted"....(virtually all porsche in japan are euro spec).
No I have no way of knowing what version this car is based on and has a combination of parts. Here is a link of a Japanese version turbo S.

http://www.flachbau.com/X83-Japan.html

Another of a ROW version

http://www.flachbau.com/X84-ROW.html

The US version

http://www.flachbau.com/X85-USA.html

lastly the US package version

http://www.flachbau.com/package.html

AS you can see the picture you posted looks like a ROW version with different tail and who knows what else done.

Just my opinion but these cars modified in any way loose there value. The lack of factory turbo S tail would hurt the value of this car. The tails have been NLA since 1996 and I have probably the last and only real turbo S tail from the factory in original gelcoat that exists. One of a few at min but I have never seen or heard of another I have been offered crazy money for it and I don't plan on selling it so unless you are looking for a driver and not a collectible I would say the value of a car like this is worth far less than a stock Turbo S. If this was a US version in teh US this might fetch mid $90k vs $125K +.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

actually no (prefer pinot gris).....but why are you asking?? of the 100 or so flatnose turbo s that were produced in 94 are you suggesting this may not be from the fatherland??
No...I just have no idea what that post was trying to get across. Are all the words there? Sorry...just confused...
Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
No I have no way of knowing what version this car is based on and has a combination of parts. Here is a link of a Japanese version turbo S.

http://www.flachbau.com/X83-Japan.html

Another of a ROW version

http://www.flachbau.com/X84-ROW.html

The US version

http://www.flachbau.com/X85-USA.html

lastly the US package version

http://www.flachbau.com/package.html

AS you can see the picture you posted looks like a ROW version with different tail and who knows what else done.

Just my opinion but these cars modified in any way loose there value. The lack of factory turbo S tail would hurt the value of this car. The tails have been NLA since 1996 and I have probably the last and only real turbo S tail from the factory in original gelcoat that exists. One of a few at min but I have never seen or heard of another I have been offered crazy money for it and I don't plan on selling it so unless you are looking for a driver and not a collectible I would say the value of a car like this is worth far less than a stock Turbo S. If this was a US version in teh US this might fetch mid $90k vs $125K +.
thanks for that, and aware of the stats/info on these cars. having lived in japan for better part of past 16 yrs. nothing surprises me (as to depth of grey market nor mods done ferraris, lambos, porsche - particularly during the end of the bubble of the early 90's when japanese domestic spending power was huge).

we are tracking both the car under critique & here
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/det...031/index.html

they have been on the market for a very long time(top end market in japan is as weaker/weaker than here) - we return to our place in japan in may, so will have 1st hand look ....and advise.

if those are not suitable there are always 1st rate speedsters or RS 3.8L's on the market there
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/det...984/index.html
Old 01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

raspberryroadster are you Japaneses ?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

no, but wife is japanese national and i have japanese residence status
Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$130k 964.....there's got to be a nut out there who may think this is worth it...not this nut though.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

thanks for that, and aware of the stats/info on these cars. having lived in japan for better part of past 16 yrs. nothing surprises me (as to depth of grey market nor mods done ferraris, lambos, porsche - particularly during the end of the bubble of the early 90's when japanese domestic spending power was huge).

we are tracking both the car under critique & here
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/det...031/index.html

they have been on the market for a very long time(top end market in japan is as weaker/weaker than here) - we return to our place in japan in may, so will have 1st hand look ....and advise.

if those are not suitable there are always 1st rate speedsters or RS 3.8L's on the market there
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/det...984/index.html
I think for the sake of rarity the top one you posted is an interesting car to look at. Although I prefer the looks of the standard US and ROW flachbau Turbo S the Japanese version is one of the rarest production street cars made with even fewer cars than the US Package version.

I was never a speedster fan and See no purpose to them myself however if I could get my hands on a real 964 RS3.8L I would take that over the TurboS. I think in time they will hold their value the best. I am thinking of converting my 93 C2 to a 3.8 RS clone.

As far as value most people can't comprehend the value of such rare cars and only see what a driver is worth. After seeing the special work put into making the turbo S's and the rarity of them They are a car to watch over the next few years.

I made comments like this myself many years ago.

$130k 964.....there's got to be a nut out there who may think this is worth it...not this nut though.
when I was offered a prisitine all original low mileage 73 RS for $60k I laughed it off saying it could never be worth that much, even worse was when I passed on a beat up 904 for $12k. Boy I couldn't have been more
wrong.

I never doubt what a car like this can do in the market although I never recommend buying them as an investment. Buy it because it is what you like and you can always get out of it what you put into it, assuming you ever sell.

Good Luck
Old 01-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

when I was offered a prisitine all original low mileage 73 RS for $60k I laughed it off saying it could never be worth that much, even worse was when I passed on a beat up 904 for $12k. Boy I couldn't have been more
wrong.

I never doubt what a car like this can do in the market although I never recommend buying them as an investment. Buy it because it is what you like and you can always get out of it what you put into it, assuming you ever sell.

Good Luck
If I were looking to blow $130k on a vehicle or vehicles, this would be near the bottom of my list. Sure this thing might be go up in value to say $250k in 30 years, but it could also be 'worth' $40k in the same time period. Nobody could have predicted 20 years ago what a 73 RS would be 'worth' what it is today nor can we say for certain this 964 will go up or down in value as years go by. Cars can be investments but like anything else, there are risks associated with it.

Last edited by Nine11; 01-31-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:10 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

I think for the sake of rarity the top one you posted is an interesting car to look at. Although I prefer the looks of the standard US and ROW flachbau Turbo S the Japanese version is one of the rarest production street cars made with even fewer cars than the US Package version.

I was never a speedster fan and See no purpose to them myself however if I could get my hands on a real 964 RS3.8L I would take that over the TurboS. I think in time they will hold their value the best. I am thinking of converting my 93 C2 to a 3.8 RS clone.

As far as value most people can't comprehend the value of such rare cars and only see what a driver is worth. After seeing the special work put into making the turbo S's and the rarity of them They are a car to watch over the next few years.

I made comments like this myself many years ago.

wrong.

Good Luck
thanks, your information is helpful
Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nine11
If I were looking to blow $130k on a vehicle or vehicles, this would be near the bottom of my list. Sure this thing might be go up in value to say $250k in 30 years, but it could also be 'worth' $40k in the same time period. Nobody could have predicted 20 years ago what a 73 RS would be 'worth' what it is today nor can we say for certain this 964 will go up or down in value as years go by. Cars can be investments but like anything else, there are risks associated with it.
You really don't know much about these cars do you!

I am also assuming you have never driven a 94 turbo 3.6. If any newer Porsche's will appreciate in the US market the only ones will be super low mileage collector cars or cars with limited production numbers. We have seen an increase in value in all of the 964 turbos because of their amazing performance, driving pleasure along with their limited production numbers. Same thing has happened with the RSA's and they are not much different than a stock C2. In the ROW market the RS's, 3.8RS's 1992/94 turbo S's and 993GT2's have all shown a serious upward swing in value for those that know their cars, these are the best of the best.

There is more here than speculation.

I will leave it at that.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

You really don't know much about these cars do you!

I am also assuming you have never driven a 94 turbo 3.6. If any newer Porsche's will appreciate in the US market the only ones will be super low mileage collector cars or cars with limited production numbers. We have seen an increase in value in all of the 964 turbos because of their amazing performance, driving pleasure along with their limited production numbers. Same thing has happened with the RSA's and they are not much different than a stock C2. In the ROW market the RS's, 3.8RS's 1992/94 turbo S's and 993GT2's have all shown a serious upward swing in value for those that know their cars, these are the best of the best.

There is more here than speculation.

I will leave it at that.
Thanks for the business lesson smart stuff. Perhaps you should have shown such confidence in the cars when the RS and 904 were offered to you.

Now back to this thread, where can the $130k 964 C2 go?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nine11
Thanks for the business lesson smart stuff. Perhaps you should have shown such confidence in the cars when the RS and 904 were offered to you.
LOL

I guess you didn't read my posts.

If I had the money at the time I am sure I would have. I helped bring over 70 cars to the US during the gray market years of the early 80's. I am sure I can teach you more than you could imagine. I have owned numerous Porsche's far more than the significant ones I posted below and have always sold them for far more than I had into them. I also enjoyed each one to the fullest.

Lets keep the thread on topic and enough with insulting people that find value in these cars even though they serve no purpose to you.

Quick Reply: 964 with 75 miles... $130,000?