Sponsored by:

Alarm flashing rapidly and more

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
doruiacovescu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alarm flashing rapidly and more

Hello! I have the following question. I have C4 1990 european targa. The previous owner gave me nothing but the keys. No remote control, no imobilizer. I have no other alarm system installed. I have a blue large relay, which is part of the alarm, that the P.O. said that i put it back to where it belongs, the car would not start anymore, because of the lack of the remote control or immobilizer.? My car locks and unlocks with the key, engine starts. REd lights are flashing(one more rapidly)
1 Question. Is it possible to buy(from where?) immobilizer and/or remote control? Will they work on my present alarm system? Do i need immobilizer and/or remote control? Do they need some sort of voodo to align them with the unit?
2 Is it worthed? Are they good enough to work, or they can leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere?
3 My passenger's side led is flashing more rapidly than the driver s side(when the doors are locked) What is this suggesting? I did not connect the misterious blue large alarm relay.

I don t have a bosch hammer, neither porsche dealer. I understood that the system may be set to on or off by this hammer. Could you guys illuminate me?

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 AM
doruiacovescu
Racer

up
Old 01-29-2010, 04:39 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

On early cars, like mine, the door LEDs aren't synchronised - they do flash at (slightly) different rates. Would that explain yours are are they very different? The standard alarm includes an immobiliser - if you beat the system and try to start the engine, nothing will happen until the alarm deactivates a moment later.

Large blue relay sounds like an aftermarket addition to me. Does it have a position in the 'central electric', where most of the fuses and realys are - and if so, what is the slot number?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:28 PM
doruiacovescu
Racer

The right led is flashing at about 3 times per second, but sometimes it flashes normally. It is the signal for a fault?

THe large blue box is original, it s made by hella and has the part number of 928. 6??????????

I want my old original alarm to work. What do i need to buy for making it complete?
Imobilizer, remote control or both?
What is the missing part that i have to buy?

Last edited by doruiacovescu; 06-19-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:41 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Most, or all, of those components you've pictured are not 'factory'. They will have been installed by a sub-contractor via the dealer after the car was imported.

The 'PA 1000' label refers, as far as I know, to the original alarm/immobiliser (which requires only the small key shown in your middle picture (immobiliser component), in conjunction with the normal door key (alarm component) For example, see http://www.964uk.com/Documents/H&P%20PA2000.pdf for what I assume is the later PA 2000.

Edit: rapid flashing of the LED should indicate a fault in the arming process, for example a faulty switch, although I think this should apply to both LEDs, not just one.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
doruiacovescu
Racer

The pictures are from different sources. I do not know how is delivered a 90 c4 targa. I just want to make my incomplete alarm to work. So, it is enough the immobilizer key? Do i need the remote control(i understood that if you don t have that remote, the alarm will kill the gas from the engine)?
The immobilizer key needs to be tuned to my alarm, but waht is the procedure?
What faulty switch shoul i check?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:45 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Faulty switch might be one of the door (courtesy light) switches or maybe the glovebox.

If it's set up like PA1000 UK cars, then yes, the only key you need is the one to disarm the immobiliser - the one in your second picture.

I'm afraid I don't think there is a 'procedure' as such to 'tune' an immobiliser key to your system (it's not like a modern set-up). It is just possible Porsche (via the importer for your country) might be able to supply a key for your car, but I wouldn't count on it. Once sytems this old start misbehaving, it's probably best to start looking to fit something a bit more up to date, I'd say.

Someone else with more knowledge may help you further.

Do you have a little slot on or near the cowling/surround for the steering wheel that is the slot for an immobilser key like the one in your picture?
Old 01-29-2010, 05:29 PM
doruiacovescu
Racer

Hmm, have to check it. Gar is in winter storage... Maybe monday
Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 AM
BIG'UN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The red flashing lights you refer to are they the ones in the door pins or on the centre console in front of the gear shift?
The immobilizer in your second picture should not be connected to your alarm system. This unit is a stand alone Cat 2 (i think) immobilizer and if you can start your car you may not have it fitted anyway, but check as John has suggested. The only time my door pin lights flash more rapidly is when one door hasn't unlocked because of heavy frost! As John has said these systems are getting old now and do fail and in the UK may not come up to Cat. standard. Myself I had a much better alarm system fitted and more recently had the immobilizer removed and replaced with a transponder unit after it let me down in heavy rain a few times. Much better...no more waiting for the bleeps.
Hope that helps.

Andy.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:51 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Those bleeps are like an old friend, though!

Not very 'Le Mans start' mind you!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:56 AM
doruiacovescu
Racer

YEs, the red led from the upper door trim. So, it s not worthing to rebuild the alarm system. Maybe a new better unit?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:14 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I'd say go for something new.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 AM
BIG'UN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd agree. But old friend or not John, when they go wrong it's time to get rid....Just ask Wayne Bridge!!!

Andy.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:41 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

That's true.

Some untoward flashing and an inoperational immobilser...
Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 PM
doruiacovescu
Racer

Thanks! Go and check the alarm systems. DO i need to dissable completely the ald alarm system?

Quick Reply: Alarm flashing rapidly and more