Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Midnight Blue C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know some smokers never smoke in their cars while some do. There are ways of cleaning it but it's very difficult to get ALL of the smell out. Personally, I can't stand smoke smell so it would be a deal breaker for me.

1992 Midnight Metallic Blue over grey interior....that's my car combo.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:12 PM
ian89C4
Pro

If you like cigars, just smoke one or two in the car with the windows open and while driving (ash out the window of course) and the overpower smell of the cigar will cover up the cigarette smell and be a little more pleasing to you.

(haven't tried this, just thought I would hop on the conversation)
Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 PM
tom231
Intermediate

Everyone-Thanks for all the posts. I love the one about "just start smoking". That would probably be the best way to solve the problem.

Also, thanks for the Griot products as well!! Worth a try!

Here in Houston, we have those very hot and humid days and I can see turning on the AC to max and having that nice burst of smoke.

Well, hopefully, it will be better than I am anticipating.

Again, should be able to look at the car this weekend and will let everyone know the pros and cons.

thanks to all!! Tom

PS-Also, thanks for the pricing window.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elbeee964
The smoke would (regrettably, reluctantly,... weepingly) give me serious pause.

Then I'd rationalize that a thorough scrubbing of all interior surfaces would knock out a lot of the smell. (But I'm fastidious, so that would also mean replacing some things like the steering wheel. And the ventilation lines would be a stone-cold beech to cleanse.)

Stink is stink.

+a million

Hmmm...
Sounds like it *could* be nice, but definitely sneak up on this one.
41K miles is great, but you have to look at the whole package, and not overpay for it in your enthusiasm. A hell of a lot of "doctor's cars" I've seen were basket cases, seriously. Just because they're intelligent people doesn't mean they're intelligent about car maintenance. And a doc who smokes? I don't even know what to say about that...

PPI......PPI...PPI...PPI...

I bought the daughter a really nice '03 Subaru recently long-distance from a dealer. Helluva deal, except that Dad didn't ask about it being a shmokin' vehicle and they didn't volunteer it. My goof. So rather than pay a detailer, I thought I'd try attacking it myself. After using a whole bottle of Nature's Miracle and Febrese Auto, it's pretty decent - but you can still faintly tell it was a smoker's den. I have heard that a day with the ozone machine will kill it completely - but if it were me, I would make the purchase contingent on that because I HATE that stink.

I wouldn't be inclined to go higher than the low $20K's because of the smoke issue.

"Stinky-Be-Gone", I love it - wonder if that would work on people???
Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Baltic964Cab
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will never get rid of the smell of smoke (unless you strip the car - all of it - acid dip the shell, repaint, and then rebuild the whole thing with new parts). (period). A good reference would be to re-watch the Mythbusters episode of getting rid of the dead rotting pig smell out of the Corvette and then try to sell it. The episode has a nice segment about the HVAC system!!! Check it out. No need to comment - in my book, dead rotting pig smell = smoker.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Only one way to find out. Give it the nose test. Maybe she only has one leaving work and that is when you see her. With low miles like that she is probably never in it. Shouldn't stop you from saying you smell smoke though, when your negotiating. lol.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 AM
tom231
Intermediate

Going to go pick the car up tomorrow evening and keeping for a week or so. It needs to be driven. This way if it has the smoke smell I can take it to a detailer and see what I can do.

The car has the tan interior.

AND best of all. The price she is wanting is $12,500. Yep, you read it right.

My wife even told her that the car was worth a lot more than that.

This is how she stated she came up with the price. She went to Kelly Blue Book, used cars, typed in her car's information, ie...41,000 miles, excellent shape, private seller and the value came up at around $12,600 and she rounded it off to $12,500.

I went and did the same thing and she was right. She knows she could sell the car for more.

I will let you know how things go. thanks, Tom
Old 01-22-2010, 12:45 AM
karlusmagnus
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom , for that price, you could have R J Reynolds himself come and remove the smoke smell, and still come out ahead.
Sounds like this is your car indeed. Enjoy the test driving.
Karl.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tom231
Going to go pick the car up tomorrow evening and keeping for a week or so. It needs to be driven. This way if it has the smoke smell I can take it to a detailer and see what I can do.

The car has the tan interior.

AND best of all. The price she is wanting is $12,500. Yep, you read it right.

My wife even told her that the car was worth a lot more than that.

This is how she stated she came up with the price. She went to Kelly Blue Book, used cars, typed in her car's information, ie...41,000 miles, excellent shape, private seller and the value came up at around $12,600 and she rounded it off to $12,500.

I went and did the same thing and she was right. She knows she could sell the car for more.

I will let you know how things go. thanks, Tom
For that price...just buy it. Forget about wasting time with keeping it for a week. Hell, I'll buy it.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This is a no brainer.... buy it now...
Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Buy it... Do you like RS themed interiors?

Now you have an excuse to strip it out and do something really nice inside... lots of great examples on this forum!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 AM
hawk911
Race Car

oh hell, for that price I'd have money left for a full interior swap with fancy new seats and all. BUY NOW!!! Even an engine rebuild will leave you with a sweet car that will give you another 150K miles after spending the money.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:12 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I agree with the others- don't waste time with a week test drive and just buy it at that price. That price is just nuts- deal of the decade, even with smoke. If it was that bad you could always sell it to someone else who smokes and still come out ahead- the color combo sounds awesome too!

People using KBB for specialty cars like 911s and corvettes...I don't get it
Old 01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell buy two. You'll have a smoker and a non-smoker!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Gotta love KBB!!!!!!!!!! (when you're buying)

Use the Buy It Now!!!

Quick Reply: 1992 Midnight Blue C2