Sponsored by:

1992 Midnight Blue C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
tom231
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Midnight Blue C2

Hey everyone. I am new to the 964 Site. Have alway been a 993 guy and wanted to get back to the "original" Porsche shape. Looked at the 87 to 89 Carreras but decided to go for the 3.6 engine.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me their impression of the 964, ie...driving, handling, feeling, etc...compared to the 87 to 89 3.2s.

Also, I am going to look at a 1992 Midnight Blue Metallic C2 this weekend. It is a one owner, 41K original miles. All original documents, service history from new, maintained to date. New Pirelli tires.

What do you think would be a "FAIR" price for this car? $20K??

Thanks for your help and any "Pearls of Wisdom" would be appreciated! thanks, Tom
Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, nice. A '92+ C2, 5spd, one owner, fully documented with only 41k miles, AND new tires?? That's the Holy Grail....

.... and definitely NOT a $20k car. More like a $25k+ car.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 - the owner would be crazy to let it go for $20,000.

That being said, good luck with the purchase - sounds like a great find.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
zunix
AutoX

I agree - sounds like a real find. Do your PPI, of course...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by tom231
What do you think would be a "FAIR" price for this car? $20K??
That's "fair" only if you drank Bruce Anderson's Kool-Aid. In the real world you're looking at north of $25K as others have suggested.

This thread will give you a great idea of what to look for when you see and drive the car: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...checklist.html

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 AM
fishician
Track Day

hi tom!
what color is the interior on this one? specifically, dash, wheel & door panels? i saw one like this & the parts i mentioned appeared very blue in the pics. after talking to a few folks, i started thinking maybe it wasn't as blue as it looked. here's the link for this one:
http://www.mercedesexpert.com/webtem...px?iid=2497912
sounds like a great deal, provided your ppi is clean!
heidi

Last edited by fishician; 01-21-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: addition of link
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fishician
hi tom!
what color is the interior on this one? specifically, dash, wheel & door panels? i saw one like this & the parts i mentioned appeared very blue in the pics. after talking to a few folks, i started thinking maybe it wasn't as blue as it looked. here's the link for this one:
http://www.mercedesexpert.com/webtem...px?iid=2497912
sounds like a great deal, provided your ppi is clean!
heidi
My cab is the same color blue in your picture. I offset all the blue with black floor mats which breaks it up nicely.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 AM
tom231
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for their input, keep them coming!!

In response to some of the questions. I do not know the interior color. I do know the owner and car from new.

The car is owned by a female physician who used to park a couple of levels above me in the garage. I would wave as she went by so I know it has been undercover both at home and at work.

She had an incident last year which has made it difficult to drive the 964. So she knew I was interested in Porsches and called me/left a voicemail to see if I was interested in the car.

So should see it this weekend. I will let everyone know how things turn out.

I think there is ONE BIG PROBLEM with the car, at least to me, my doctor friend is a smoker, NOW, as George and Jerry say "There is nothing wrong with that!!"

I am worried about opening up the door and being hit by a stale smell. I may be over-exaggerating things BUT I am preparing myself.

Would a car that has been smoked in STOP most of you?? Is there a way to get the smell out, if it turns out to be a problem, ie...how do those OZONE machines work??

Thanks again for all your help, guidance and expertise!!! Tom
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tom231
Thanks everyone for their input, keep them coming!!

In response to some of the questions. I do not know the interior color. I do know the owner and car from new.

The car is owned by a female physician who used to park a couple of levels above me in the garage. I would wave as she went by so I know it has been undercover both at home and at work.

She had an incident last year which has made it difficult to drive the 964. So she knew I was interested in Porsches and called me/left a voicemail to see if I was interested in the car.

So should see it this weekend. I will let everyone know how things turn out.

I think there is ONE BIG PROBLEM with the car, at least to me, my doctor friend is a smoker, NOW, as George and Jerry say "There is nothing wrong with that!!"

I am worried about opening up the door and being hit by a stale smell. I may be over-exaggerating things BUT I am preparing myself.

Would a car that has been smoked in STOP most of you?? Is there a way to get the smell out, if it turns out to be a problem, ie...how do those OZONE machines work??

Thanks again for all your help, guidance and expertise!!! Tom
no, would not stop me (non-smoker) from buy decision, but get a p.p.i.
sounds like a very fine deal, and 964 series is fine solid car/fun to drive.
http://www.getridofthings.com/get-ri...moke-smell.htm
Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Get a PPI if all the important stuff checks out, buy the car and take it to a detailing shop to get it clean and rid of any smoker's smells...

Best of luck, keep us posted. And yes, share some photos!!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

The smoke would (regrettably, reluctantly,... weepingly) give me serious pause.

Then I'd rationalize that a thorough scrubbing of all interior surfaces would knock out a lot of the smell. (But I'm fastidious, so that would also mean replacing some things like the steering wheel. And the ventilation lines would be a stone-cold beech to cleanse.)

Stink is stink.

I had a sports car once, that HAD to have its stock steering wheel replaced because on hot days it wafted off the most disgusting fumes of jheri curl... [blech!]

Attachment 414149

Last edited by elbeee964; 06-21-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Willie P
Instructor

a couple comments;

1) I have a '93 midnight blue on cashmere C2 that is a 3 owner documented car that I purchased in the DC area with 72k miles for $26,000 - 3 yrs ago. It has been well worth it, because of the quality of the car I've had nothing to do except for oil change, new tires after 15k miles and the value adjustment. I would have rather paid $24k - my original offer, but they stood their ground hard. So, that all being said - you'd probably look to pay $26k-$27,500 in todays market for the car you are mentioning. And if you were buying in Philly from Holt - $30k+ Ha!!!!

2) 41k miles!! they could have smoked a bhong inside and the car would have tattered seats - mileage is king - interiors are replaceable.

3) great driving car overall - the big difference is the creature comforts (not quite 993 level), but close and leaps and bounds over a 3.2-era car. I drive mine over 300 days a year and recently in days when we had 4+" of snow on the roads and single digit temps for over 10 days. the car started up every morning and blew hot air from the heater within 500 yards of my house
Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Baltic964Cab
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I wouldn't touch a doo-gan mobile....makes me want to hurl. I'm sure that tar/nicotine saturated german leather would smell mighty freash on a steamy summer day. Oh, I'm sorry for the rant...... "its a disease" (what a joke).
Old 01-21-2010, 11:26 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Get rid of the smoke smell, so the true "964 smells" can come out... oil/gas/old interior padding.

Here are two more stink removing products (no. affiliation)
Griot's Garage Odor Exterminator and/or 2 Pound Bag Of Stinky-Be-Gone

Sounds like a great car... cool story how you used to see it drive by... and now you may own it?!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Start smoking.

Quick Reply: 1992 Midnight Blue C2