Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Is it possible that the steering or sway-bar is interfering w/ the brake linkage at the vac can/mc?
Bill, can you point to the area? Where should I be looking??
Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Bill, can you point to the area? Where should I be looking??
here's the area on a 993, a 964 will be similar

the sway bar is the thick black thing on the right, front of the car is to the right

m/c is is above the vac can here
Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Reviving an old thread, since it is after all this time that I finally get to tackle this...

I have the correct steering stops (checked while I am doing the steering rack rebuild)...

It must be the tire rubbing against the wheel well (found indication of this when I inspected the area...):

Driver side is the only one showing any indication of tire rubbing...

Passenger side looks fine:

Which brings me to the question... What is the correct wheel spacer needed?? My car was born as a 1991 narrow body car, that was converted to Turbo look with factory parts... but spacers were used in front and rear to accommodate the factory turbo wheels. So maybe I have incorrect spacing?? And this only showed up after I installed the big brake kit and new tires??? Rotor hat width or tire width differences from prior setup??

This is what I currently have:

Help!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Which brings me to the question... What is the correct wheel spacer needed?? My car was born as a 1991 narrow body car, that was converted to Turbo look with factory parts... but spacers were used in front and rear to accommodate the factory turbo wheels.
Has the front end been moved out to Turbo specification? I too have a '91 NB that was converted to a WB, although I have not physically checked yet, I don't believe my front end was moved to Turbo specs. Below is a pic with Cup 1s and it seems that I would need wider spacers (currently have ~7/8) if I were to run them, or do the front end mod.
I am no expert and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night but from what I read, there are additional holes drilled on the 964 lower member that moved the strut out 1" further, then your rotate the to top strut 180 degrees, essentially giving you a turbo front end.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
Has the front end been moved out to Turbo specification? I too have a '91 NB that was converted to a WB, although I have not physically checked yet, I don't believe my front end was moved to Turbo specs. Below is a pic with Cup 1s and it seems that I would need wider spacers (currently have ~7/8) if I were to run them, or do the front end mod.
I am no expert and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night but from what I read, there are additional holes drilled on the 964 lower member that moved the strut out 1" further, then your rotate the to top strut 180 degrees, essentially giving you a turbo front end.
Thank you! I will search on that... So maybe all this is a product of when I upgraded my suspension, changed to the big red brake kit, and different set of tires, and not setting up the car correctly with what you mentioned.

I ordered a set of 3mm spacers just in case... 27.00... they can decorate the wall if I end up not using them.

Quick Reply: Brakes locking up