Sponsored by:

Radio/Amp question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio/Amp question

Got a new head unit for the Pcar. I currently have the Blaupunkt Stuttgart with DIN cable to amp under seat. I really don't want to put another amp under the seat just hoping to disconnect and throw out. Hoping to run everything off the deck, 18x4 alpine unit. Not looking for a fancy install just some nice tunes. I will be upgrading the speakers in the new year, again nothing special maybe some cheap alpines or something.

Ok here is the question, does anyone now if the wiring harness that plug into the amp will have the appropriate speaker wires attached or do I need to run new wires to each speaker? Can I tap into via the din cable some how for the wires and then remove the amp and connect from din cable to individual speakers eliminating the need for me to run speaker wires to under the seat? Anyone have any suggestions.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure of the exact differences between the 964 and 993, but i just put an Alpine system in my 993. My 993 doesn't have the Hi-Fi option (no amp) so I just tapped into the front rear speaker wires. If you have an amp you may be able to disconnect it and jump the input wires to the output wires to eliminate the amp and complete the wire pairs from the radio to the speakers. I was going to run new wires in the 993 and if the 964 is built anything like the 993 you will change your mind really quick. The wire harness in the door jamb between car and door is very high up and not much fun to try to access from inside the car or inside the door unless you have a 6 year old who can reach up in there an pull wires for you. The rears... I broke my passenger side sill plate trying to remove it and could not for the life of me get the carpet up to hide wires under it. They used so damn much high strength glue to hold down the carpet. As I said I'm not sure 964/993 differences but I used the factory wiring as much as possible. I did however need to get some wires under the passenger seat from under the dash (keyless entry). I had to tear out the passenger seat and the console. I ran them down the center console then poked a hole in the carpet beneath the console and got my hands in under the carpet from the floor up and was able to pull some of the glued carpet apart. I then electrical taped all my wires to a coat hanger bent straight and poked it through the hole in the carpet and down the tunnel side to under the seat where I pulled it through. Unless someone knows some tricks this was the most difficult car I have EVER attempted to run stereo wires through. Accessing a route to the seat area and rear deck of the car was nearly impossible.

Nick
Old 12-14-2009, 02:07 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Nick

Thanks for the response. My set up is different. I do not have speaker wires that go to the speakers in the dash. Instead on my original wiring harness I have a red (12v), red/black (constant), brown (ground) and black shielded with green wire inside (from what I can tell this is the dreaded green wire for the alarm I'm assuming, someone please confirm!!) then I have a din cable. I also have a white wire that plugs into the antenna. Also on the radio bracket, there was a spade end that plugged into the bracket for a ground I am assuming, again someone please confirm.

I tried to cut open the din/co-axial cable and found the following. Red, blue, white, yellow, green and brown. I peeled away the wire shielding, and attached the red and blue together and that will act as my trigger (turn the amp on). I then opened up the white, yellow, green and brown found that each wire was shielded but also had another wire inside. I assumed the outside was neg and inside pos, but was wrong. I powered everything up and when I touched the outside wire (neg) to the neg from the radio I got terrible stactic, but when I plugged the inside wire (pos) to the pos from the radio I got clear crisp sound.... AND no need to attach the negative wire!!!

So my thought is this, I guess the white, brown, yellow and green are speaker wires and the inside of these wires are pos (like an rca cable) the outside is shielding, but neg and useless. From my radio I will take my pos speaker wires and attached to the inner wire of the white, brown, yellow and green. These wires will act like an rca and just send the signal to the amp. Then the amp will do its job and send the appropriate pos/neg signal to the speakers.

I would love to hear anyones opinion or suggestion about this. I do need clarification on the following - 1) is the black wire thick wire with the green in it the dreaded 'GREEN' wire 2) what would that spade connected the the bracket of my radio be grounding 3) is my wiring set up going to burn down my car in the middle of the night.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:04 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced my head unit a few years ago, with one that had a built in amp. I just got rid of the amp under the passengers seat, and used this as the place to junction the speaker wires.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by newsboy
I replaced my head unit a few years ago, with one that had a built in amp. I just got rid of the amp under the passengers seat, and used this as the place to junction the speaker wires.
Did you run new speaker wire from the radio to under the passenger seat? Did you remove the DIN cable or just leave it in?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911porschefan
Got a new head unit for the Pcar. I currently have the Blaupunkt Stuttgart with DIN cable to amp under seat. I really don't want to put another amp under the seat just hoping to disconnect and throw out. Hoping to run everything off the deck, 18x4 alpine unit. Not looking for a fancy install just some nice tunes. I will be upgrading the speakers in the new year, again nothing special maybe some cheap alpines or something.

Ok here is the question, does anyone now if the wiring harness that plug into the amp will have the appropriate speaker wires attached or do I need to run new wires to each speaker? Can I tap into via the din cable some how for the wires and then remove the amp and connect from din cable to individual speakers eliminating the need for me to run speaker wires to under the seat? Anyone have any suggestions.
installation of new head unit and upgraded speakers without a new amp....akin to taking a bath with your socks on.
amp is most important part of audio install ....underseat with new amp works or best is trunk install.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
installation of new head unit and upgraded speakers without a new amp....akin to taking a bath with your socks on.
amp is most important part of audio install ....underseat with new amp works or best is trunk install.
I honestly don't think my ears will notice the difference.... and I have inadvertantly taken a bath with socks on one drunken night....
Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Please call SW Stereo and hire them to make 2 adapter cables for you. One for power etc, the other to take the speaker outputs from the new radio to plug into the speaker leads that are under the seat and would normally connect to the amp.

All will be plug and play without cutting your original harness.

He may need you to send the Alpine or it's harness down to him in order to do the work. No association with SW, just happy with the work he did for me (Newer Becker Radio into 1989 964, bypassing amp).
Old 12-15-2009, 07:50 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The amp is contained in my head unit. I ran new speaker wires to under the passenger seat. Believe, I left the DIN cable.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
NeilW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I retained the amp and simply used an RCA to DIN adapter. This way I can restore the car back to factory configuration if I need to. See the following thread:-

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...placement.html
Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Well I finished it today, even tool out the DIN cable and factory amp. Sounds A LOT better but definitely need new speakers, will start the search for those now. Anyone have any suggestions? Again, I do not want to run an amp so don't need anything to high end. Nice set of alpines or maybe even sony etc.

Quick Reply: Radio/Amp question