Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOR SALE: MINT 1990 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 Cabriolet w/ only 10,200 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:33 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price is up to $24,600 w/3-days to go. If these are real bidders, the car will be sold for a decent price as it may move up still! It is beautiful- it someone were looking for a tip there is none finer...

Some of the mid-90's german cars I love so much are really tempting if I had money and space- I know someone contemplating selling a 24,000 mile '98 500SL that I'd buy in a second if I didn't have too many cars already (in fact I'll be sadly putting my 964 on the market in the spring due to a recent acquisition that was the only car I'd sell her for).

These were all dream cars then and the preserved cars like this are just as desirable to me today- in fact more so as I don't like the current porsches/BMWs/benzes nearly as much as the tank-like quality cars of the 80's and 90's.

Good luck with the auction- I'm curious to see where it ends- I think it will be going to a good caretaker as someone in this end of the 964 market price wise likely knows what they are getting!

Happy Holidays to all!
-Andrew
Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 PM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Article in a recent issue of Excellence regarding converting a tip to manual. Some dough involved but seemed to be manageable.

Pretty nice 964 - the owner went with a 6-spd.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:20 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by paa502
Article in a recent issue of Excellence regarding converting a tip to manual. Some dough involved but seemed to be manageable.

Pretty nice 964 - the owner went with a 6-spd.
you swap it over and the originality value is $0. It becomes another basterized car. Some people actually like having the TIP transmission.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:54 PM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not advocating, just mentioning. Agree value would be diminished. Previous comment inquired as to possibility.

Glad you like your tip.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Beautiful, well kept and seemingly properly maintained Porsche 964. Why it might not sell? 1. Many are looking for 'manual transmission' and 2. The recession has hit Florida really hard and those interested parties might have to be conservative right now. Personally, I would hold onto the car and purchase another for daily driving. Especially a car that's original to the family...

I'm holding onto my 2000 Porsche Boxster for my daughter to inherit, and my 1990 Porsche 911 will be passed onto my son. Maybe a little sentimental but passing them onto my children just seem right...
Old 12-15-2009, 03:22 PM
bic
Instructor

Originally Posted by andrew911
Price is up to $24,600 w/3-days to go. If these are real bidders, the car will be sold for a decent price as it may move up still! It is beautiful- it someone were looking for a tip there is none finer...
Thanks for the compliment! I'm pretty surprised to see how much interest there is in the car this time around. There are over 100 people watching the auction on eBay and there have been several potential buyers from Germany inquiring about it *after* the price already jumped up to $24,600 so I feel cautiously optimistic at the moment.

Some of the mid-90's german cars I love so much are really tempting if I had money and space- I know someone contemplating selling a 24,000 mile '98 500SL that I'd buy in a second if I didn't have too many cars already (in fact I'll be sadly putting my 964 on the market in the spring due to a recent acquisition that was the only car I'd sell her for).

These were all dream cars then and the preserved cars like this are just as desirable to me today- in fact more so as I don't like the current porsches/BMWs/benzes nearly as much as the tank-like quality cars of the 80's and 90's.
I agree wholeheartedly. There's something to be said for those over-engineered German cars. I'll be selling another one shortly after this 964 auction closes-- it's no Porsche but rather a beautiful 1994 S500 Coupe with 29,000 miles on it that my dad has been using as his daily for the past couple of years. It also used to belong to my grandfather. I think it's a gorgeous car and the color combo is stunning. Here's a teaser:

Good luck with the auction- I'm curious to see where it ends- I think it will be going to a good caretaker as someone in this end of the 964 market price wise likely knows what they are getting!

Happy Holidays to all!
-Andrew
Thanks!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
bic
Instructor

UPDATE: I know that the auction description states that we do not have the service records from 1990 to about 2005 but we do in fact have them. Its documentation is now 100% complete.

As a reminder, this auction concludes this Thursday at 9:00pm EST and with no reserve, this car WILL be sold in about 2 days so be sure to get your bids in.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

She's up to $27,300. Someone or a couple of people who would like this car suddenly woke up....maybe it's going to be a Christmas present for someone- could you imagine that?

Be ready to contact other bidders if the top bidder is a deadbeat (I see one of the bidders has no feedback...not to say he wouldn't follow through if he won, just no history there...)
Old 12-17-2009, 03:19 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Great news bic! This is the type of money such a pristine car should command.

I'm pretty surprised to see how much interest there is in the car this time around.
I remember when you first informed RL of your intention to sell, but the market just wasn't there...

I don't know what's changed, but maybe this the turning point for all 964s? Just kidding, but I've definitely seen the attitudes of some Porschephiles change in favor these cars.

The next couple of hours (until the end of the auction) will be interesting! Anyway, great news for you and you can move on... you'll be back.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by andrew911
She's up to $27,300. Someone or a couple of people who would like this car suddenly woke up....maybe it's going to be a Christmas present for someone- could you imagine that?

Be ready to contact other bidders if the top bidder is a deadbeat (I see one of the bidders has no feedback...not to say he wouldn't follow through if he won, just no history there...)
I think it's worth every penny (or dollars in this case $$$ ) and whoever gets this car will have a pristine 964 to drive around in....
Old 12-17-2009, 04:18 PM
bic
Instructor

Thanks guys! I definitely agree with the notion that Porschephiles have come around on the 964 and I think the bids we've received on this car reflect that. I'm as surprised as you all are by the response we've received so far. There have been several unique bidders driving up the price and even more who have contacted me and intend to bid that haven't yet. One thing's for sure...it's certainly going to make somebody very happy on Christmas.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You will regret it... no amount of $ will replace the feeling you had when being a child wanting to own and drive that car... and then having it and being able to do so...

But like they say, nobody learns from other people experience. Outside of needing the cash I see no reason to get rid of the car. If you wanted zero expenses, park it in the garage, don't pay insurance nor registration for it, and just let it sit there to admire and re-live your childhood...

I am sounding like scratched vinyl record... going back to my cave.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
You will regret it... no amount of $ will replace the feeling you had when being a child wanting to own and drive that car... and then having it and being able to do so...

But like they say, nobody learns from other people experience. Outside of needing the cash I see no reason to get rid of the car. If you wanted zero expenses, park it in the garage, don't pay insurance nor registration for it, and just let it sit there to admire and re-live your childhood...

I am sounding like scratched vinyl record... going back to my cave.
Jaime you could buy it for me for Christmas. I am not embarrassed to drive a TIP
Hows the knee?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Imagine what it would sell for if those 5,000 miles weren't added(!). Not to worry, at least you drove it and enjoyed it. Seems to me you have the best of both worlds.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wachuko

+1 and I know I am guilty of never letting my cars go.

I still have cars which I have owned from new for more than 20 years.

Quick Reply: FOR SALE: MINT 1990 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 Cabriolet w/ only 10,200 miles!