Sponsored by:

Enhancements vs. Molestation

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
jaudette3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enhancements vs. Molestation

My recently acquired '91 C4 is bone stock. Since 964's are new to me I have spent many hours reading back threads here to familarize myself with these *great* cars (I'm astoundied that they are so undiscovered.) One pattern that has emerged that there are certain modifications that are highly desirable and considered enhancements, while others fall into the category of molestation.

I'm pretty much a purist at heart when it comes to Porsches. I once restored a '60 356 Super 90 Roadster to showroom condition using only original and NOS parts - there wasn't a single repop on the car. But I do loosen up just a bit with the newer car. For example I agree with the majority here that the barn door mirrors are ugly, detract from the looks of the car, and need replacing with something. But I don't want to ever cross the line and do something to the car that enters the twilight zone of Tokyo at Miidnight, Miami Vice or East El A Lowrider.

From my reading here this group seems to approve of the following:

o Replacing the barn doors with Aero mirrors or racing mirrors
o Replacing the original wheels with Cup wheels, maybe even after-market or 993 turbo-twists.
o Replacing headlkights with something brighter

I really respect these cars and I don't want to do anything stupid. I find this group to be passionate and knowledgeable and I'm interested to hear what modifications that folks here feel are on the enhancement side of the line - and which ones are on the molestation side.

Cheers,
JohnA
Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

For the most part I try to stick with period correct parts when modifying my cars. The aero mirrors are a must. The Cup I wheels are great as well. And for the headlights I'd recommend a set of Euro H4s with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs - they make a huge difference. You could relay them and get brighter bulbs as well if necessary later on.

There is one thing missing from your list, however, and that is suspension. I'd do that first.

Best of luck!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The basic upgrades around here seem to be:
Mirrors
Headlight
Ride height
Any 17” or greater Porsche wheels
One of the following exhaust mods - cup pipe, gpipe, or cat bypass

As all of these were factory/race available I do not think that is molestation.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:42 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Welcome John,

Let your 964 inspire you... just keep all the old parts.

Stubby is an awesome car, I really enjoyed reading about it in Excellence and on your website!

Very glad to have you on our board!

Best,
Udo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

You can be very confident that taking the ride height down a little is still in spirit of the 964 because a stock European 964 is lower than a stock US 964 and a stock euro 964RS is lower than both. It's a definite enhancement in my book.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

964 rules and regulations.

1. Flag mirrors are a must.
2. Rear under tray must remain in place at all times.
3. D90 wheels only.
4. Stock USA ride height can not be changed.
5. No by pass pipes permitted.

I hate rules and broke all of them !
Old 11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I do what I want to the car....it's mine and the only opinion that matters is my own.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Oracle
Pro

Shouldn't you do whatever you want with it? Why seek for approval. heck if you want to chop it go for it! Do it for you not for the next guy..
Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

No rules.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would clean it, detail it, polish it... inside and out, engine bay and everything... then start with checking what it needs to bring it to mechanical perfection... old oil lines, sensors, dme relay, ceramic resistors, distributor belt, flush brake lines, replace clutch slave hose, bleed again, belts, tune up, rubber trim, etc...

Then I would worry about any cosmetic changes that you like...
Old 11-26-2009, 12:45 AM
jaudette3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nine11
I do what I want to the car....it's mine and the only opinion that matters is my own.
I know that these cars are still simply used cars at this point - they haven't reached the point of being collectibles and they may or may not be some day. Most of my experience with Porsches has been with cars that are now collectibles. Those cars - 356's, early 911's - all went through used car phases and were dirt cheap. As a result many of them got pretty messed up. Those of us involved in restoring those early cars have *no* respect for the folks who did the messin' up.

964's are pretty special csrs and I'm old enough to realize that I'm more of a temporary custodian than an "owner". Probsbly just an age thing. Anyway, I'm also old enough to not worry about being cool, so I don't mind doing things that are not "approved of" by the majority here - or anywhere else. But I would like to do things that improve the car in a way consistent with the excellence that defines Porsches.

FWIW

Cheers,
JohnA
Old 11-26-2009, 02:35 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John,

I have worked with Adam Audette (your son perhaps?) on a few projects.. I am in Portland. I have a C4, with some of the mods you speak of, (Wheels, H4 lights, but I still have the flag mirrors) as well as some pretty cool suspension upgrades. My folks live in Tumalo... we should hook up sometime. Shoot me a PM and we can talk. :-)
Old 11-26-2009, 02:50 AM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Agree with most of the above. Lowering is essential. As for other appearance issues, I think clear front corners look great on most colors.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:28 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

John,

To me, modifications and enhancements fall into two categories: cosmetic and performance. The former is totally subjective and the latter is all about what you will use the car for and how you drive.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

I find the 17" Cup wheels and the fat tires that usually go along with them a bit heavy on the steering and I don't know about the rest of you but my knuckles are already white when it rains even with my narrow 928 wheels and tires (i.e. sometimes I wish I had a C4). I find the 16" are a bit easier on the kidneys too, for most of the driving I do and my car is near SUV ride height. Those sporty sleek mirrors, I don't how you guys see out of them, I find the flags more functional. I like brighter lights, they make for better seeing, just as long as they don't blind the other drivers. If it's purely asthetics, then the choices are a bit subjective and personal. It would be difficult to please everyone on this board let alone the general public, the majority would rather see a bright new shiny Hundai over a 40 year old design.

For performance and the most "bang for your buck", tighten the nut behind the steering wheel, it will take more time and patience but the end results are transferable to the next vehicle you buy

Quick Reply: Enhancements vs. Molestation