Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof seal felt height above roof?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:04 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sunroof seal felt height above roof?

My felt sunroof seals were absolutely shot when I bought my car and I am in the process of installing new ones.

Can someone post a picture of how the seals are supposed to look once installed. Close up pictures of a closed sunroof and properly installed seals would also help me in a huge way. I tried searching but didn't have much luck. Are the felt seals supposed to protrude about 1/8" above the roof line and have a "caterpillar" look or should they be flush with the rest of the roof.

In other words, should the felt seals be above the sunroof/roof gap or inside the sunroof/roof gap? This is probably racking my brain much more than it should be!

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, don't do what I did the first go 'round...and put the "caterpillar" part of the seal ABOVE the gap so you can see it sticking up above the roofline all the way around - that will get you some good chuckles at the next Club breakfast.

The seal silouette is somewhat of a "P" imagine the "P" on the forward part of your gap with the bulge of the "P" facing inward, pretty much aligned with the edge.

If you put the bulge of the "P" above the gap, you will still have a gap once your suroof is closed and it will look quite goofy - again, I know this from personal experience.

I don't believe I have any pictures, that I can find anyway...and my car is in storage while I arrange sale of my home and gathering/packing things up to move...I'm going for THREE TIMES the garage/shop space I have now!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not terribly zoomed in but I guess it's better than nothing.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:13 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the help guys.

Jeff - I feel your pain because I installed the seal with the bulge of the "P" facing out and much too high...doh! The glue was already dry when I realized this and I ruined the newly installed seal when I removed it. New seals come in tomorrow for round 2.

Mrmandmman - in looking at your photo, the seal does appear to be above the roof line by about 1/8". Do you know if this is how it came from the factory or have the seals been replaced?

Any other pictures of sunroof seals out there?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Is that a hard job??? Do you actually have to remove the sunroof??? The front and sides of mine look good but the back portion seems older and worn out.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Polman
Pro

How do you hardly mount those seals.....do you have to take the hatch out from the car? I must soon make this DIY my selves......good to be prepared in my head...
Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sunroof seals come in two parts. The front (longer) part is glued to the main roof panel and goes some 3/4 the way down each side. The rear (shorter) part is glued to the rear edge of the sunroof panel itself and, yes, you have to remove the panel in order to attach the seal.

When the roof is closed the two parts of the seal come together (if you've done it right). I don't believe the seal sits above the level of the roof - it's just flush. It's also not meant to be a water-tight seal either - there are drain holes to let the water out at both the front and rear edges of the sunroof.

Regards

Dave
Old 11-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Polman
Pro

-But how to pop the hatch out off the car?
Old 11-26-2009, 03:16 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Polman
-But how to pop the hatch out off the car?
This might help.

Regards

Dave

Quick Reply: Sunroof seal felt height above roof?