Sponsored by:

Oil Change to Brad Penn - Less Leak, more Burn

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unkle
I never said forum experts, I didn't assume anyone on here was an expert from the oil industry or from Porsche. I simply implied "rational" advice, i.e. regardless of opinion, its weighted in favour of Porsche and Leading brand oil companies instead of others, or as Perlfather put it, "experts".

I don't favour one brand, i use all sorts in cars, I just can't believe that the oil industry and Porsche are wrong and a few engine rebuilders are right. but thats just me...
And what if you found out that Porsche and Leading brand oil companies were not allowed by law in the U.S. to tell you the truth ?

It would be funny if Porsche came out and said ,
none of the new motor oils that the feds have degraded the specs on ,
meet our requirements for our older motors .

The thing is they do not want the old type oil in the new cars , the new cars don't need the old spec oil . The new oil is better for the environment .

The feds said the the new specs for the oil (sm) will be such and such .
The people who make cars built the new cars to run on (sm) oil .
Old 11-29-2010, 04:37 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand what you are saying, Thats very possible, but many oil companies in Europe make car specific oil: VAG long Life, Jaguar Long life, Ford and even GM specific oil. Although Shell now make an Ultra Extra oil which meets or exceeds all the different oils supplied to the car manufacturers for their individual oil requirements and many garages are buying this. although due to "refining and additive shortage" it is on back supply at this time.

Couldn't Porsche and Mobil (being partners) make a specific oil if they wanted or felt it was necessary for all 911's or 993 and older?

Last edited by Unkle; 11-29-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:27 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Although Shell now make an Ultra Extra oil which meets or exceeds all the different oils supplied to the car manufacturers for their individual oil requirements and many garages are buying this. although due to "refining and additive shortage" it is on back supply at this time.
Reads like you copied & pasted from a Shell brochure.

Do you have some information / tech facts on this oil?

On the Shell website it doesn't say much about long life additives for older engines and unfortunately there isn't a caution that it could reduce catalytic converter performance (which is usually good news for us, I think).
Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 AM
Unkle
Pro

I work for a company that supplies Shell, Mobil and Castrol and Comma to the automotive trade industry, so I tend to read the literature and speak to Reps at some point, "meets and exceeds" is the script used in most oil literature these days. That oil won't be suitable for our cars it was an example for the discussion only. This is the link, Shell Ultra EXTRA but as i say its not relevant. http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/...x_ultra_extra/ Its a low SAPS oil so protective of Cats.

The correct oil (just spoke to Shell Technical again)
The Shell Ultra 5w40 catalytic compatable, approved by Porsche/Ferrari (not low ash spec either)

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/...w/helix_ultra/

But I understand some may still think its not good enough, even if its approved. Each to his own I guess...

Last edited by Unkle; 11-29-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Couldn't Porsche and Mobil (being partners) make a specific oil if they wanted or felt it was necessary for all 911's or 993 and older?
You could ask them why they don't keep on making the oil the way they use to do back when their oil was good for our cars .
Old 11-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
You could ask them why they don't keep on making the oil the way they use to do back when their oil was good for our cars .
Because no boy-wonder-MBA in Accounting would buy off on that decision for such a small market? So it is left to the "boutique" companies.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
So it is left to the "boutique" companies.
"Founded in 1881 at the height of the domestic oil boom, the Bradford refinery is the only refinery processing 100% Pennsylvania Grade crude oil. It is also the oldest continuously operated lube oil refinery in the world."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...utique?view=uk

I wonder if I can get cheese on a chip and a glass of port with my next box of brad penn ?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

"Founded in 1881 at the height of the domestic oil boom, the Bradford refinery is the only refinery processing 100% Pennsylvania Grade crude oil. It is also the oldest continuously operated lube oil refinery in the world."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...utique?view=uk

I wonder if I can get cheese on a chip and a glass of port with my next box of brad penn ?
"a business serving a sophisticated or specialized clientele"

Only sum of us iz sufistic...sopfisstik... you know, what it said up there -

but we'z all specialized here. Verrrry specialized.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Even my mom says I am verrrry "special" .
Old 11-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Unkle
Pro

I asked Shell about a section of 964 users using and promoting a 20w50 oil alternative that was not approved by Porsche and not within any industry spec. But a few engine builders, and not the manufacturer or its oil partner (Porsche and Mobil) recommend it, and whether it would be suitable.

I can't tell you all that was said, but they were amazed that anyone would put that oil within a mile of the Porsche engine without proper testing and cooperation with the car engine manufacturer.

But as I say each to his own...
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Where do I find the latest list of Porsche approved oils for a 964?

Do they maintain this list, or is it now superceded?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Rouxzy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I see this oil issue is this. Today's new Mobil-1 oil is for today's new cars with their newer technology. Yesterdays cars had yesterdays Mobil-1reccommended for it, but they no longer make the old formulated Mobil-1. So the issue is do we use today's oil that was not designed for the older cars or do we use an oil that still has the additives that were designed for yesterdays cars? To each his own but my feeling is that the Mobil-1 formula that is produced today was not around in 1990 when my engine was made. That is why I use Brad Penn because it is still made with the specs that are necessary for my engine where Mobil-1 isn't.
Tom
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Unkle
Pro

@SML Porsche pretty much only approve a 0w40 or 5w40. But like all things it will depend if you track the car or not, if the engine is in good condition or not and also your climate.

Some lists (I can't account for the validity)

http://www.wrightune.co.uk/downloads/approved_oils.pdf

http://kiyor32.cocolog-nifty.com/gt3...-List-2006.pdf

A40 approved, listing PAO synthetic group IV oils. Ester/PAO synthetic, group V oils. Specs are backwards compatible so improve, however you could contact you local Porsche dealer for the latest list or their own suggestion.

My personal opinion is the 0w40 or even the 5w40 is possibly a bit thin, unless your engine is in top condition or you race (requiring some 0W & 5W oil that are group V Ester oils so they are of a higher spec and to prevent oil drag). But I might change to a 5w40 at the next change. 10w40 full or Semi would be a good choice too, not fussed on brand as long as its a leading oil supplier Shell, Castrol, Mobil etc and approved.

Last edited by Unkle; 11-30-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Thanks .. I have reading to do!

Just a thought, but if we can find an oil on the approved list with a zinc ppm 1400 then we might have an agreed solution between Indycam and Unkle!?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Unkle
Pro

LOL

Its great to discuss these things, its like N rated tyres I guess, some agree some don't

Anyway its lunch time, I'm off to read some more wiki leaks

Quick Reply: Oil Change to Brad Penn - Less Leak, more Burn