Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Third brake light (ET) removal....yes, or no and why??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cabriolet Third brake light (ET) removal....yes, or no and why??

So, guys, do you think the 3rd brake light in the cabriolet's should be removed for better looks, or should it be left alone....and what are your thoughts?

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 11-04-2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: forgot to say cabs
Old 11-04-2009, 02:22 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I will be having my rear windscreen replaced in the near future for one without the 3rd brake light. I will look at installing a slimline led light in it's place (not the roof mounted 993 spoiler stop light either). I find it a real pain in the butt and aesthetically it looks awful!

Neil
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

When I first got my cabrio, I was planning on yanking off the cyclops off the rear decklid. However, over time, I have adjusted to the looks. 17 years later, the light is still there.

Is it the best look with or without? I would say without looks better but that having a light is required by DOT, so I live with it. I'll be curious to see if anyone has a creative solution for cabs.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 AM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Martian eye is staying for the moment. Makes me think of War of the Worlds everytime I see it. :-)
Old 11-04-2009, 12:48 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

good discussion here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ht-delete.html

I would get rid of it.
I went with the basket handle . not as good as getting rid of it completely , but it is legal and does not look like ET

John
Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM
ianellison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1990 C4 Cab hasn't got this light! Was it a US reg's requirement?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:01 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ianellison
My 1990 C4 Cab hasn't got this light! Was it a US reg's requirement?
both US & Can required 3rd brakelights.....while ROW cars did not.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:17 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rotorheadcase
I will be having my rear windscreen replaced in the near future for one without the 3rd brake light. I will look at installing a slimline led light in it's place (not the roof mounted 993 spoiler stop light either). I find it a real pain in the butt and aesthetically it looks awful!

Neil
What is the price of a rear window with defrost, but without the obstructive 3rd brake light, and where can you get one ? It really annoys me to look at that thing all the time.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
So, guys, do you think the 3rd brake light in the cabriolet's should be removed for better looks, or should it be left alone....and what are your thoughts?
operating on the basis that:

1) 964's in the rest of the world have survived very well indeed WITHOUT need of a 3rd brakelight

and

2)removing ugliness/ill-design wherever & whenever possible is a reasonable persuit

then:

....seems only reasonable to conclude that in N.Amer. one of the easiest/best modifications should be cab 3rd brakelight delete...

......so in Europe, standard look......

and

....so now transported to N.Amer...........

hard to argue that it is best to retain this...........

(3rd brakelight delete complete, and alien is packed away....in the event a few small holes need to be drilled to do reinstall to stock - awaiting a new carrera 2 badge to replace faded original).
Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Nice. I'm all for it then. Reason I ask is my car actually does not have the 3rd light. For safety and originality, I thought it best to have it installed. However, my car is far from original and the only questionable real issue is the safety concern. I guess I'll live dangerously.....

thank you all
Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 PM
vasculardoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interestingly in New Zealand (and Australia I think) the high position brake light is mandatory as it reduces the number of rear impact accidents in a significant way - I figure our cars are so low and the brake lights even lower that something that will alert the moron behind me riding my **** on the motorway that I'm about to engage the picks might prevent about $20k worth of truly beautiful porsche rear end being turned into $200 worth of scrap. Mine stays. :-)
Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vasculardoc
Interestingly in New Zealand (and Australia I think) the high position brake light is mandatory as it reduces the number of rear impact accidents in a significant way - I figure our cars are so low and the brake lights even lower that something that will alert the moron behind me riding my **** on the motorway that I'm about to engage the picks might prevent about $20k worth of truly beautiful porsche rear end being turned into $200 worth of scrap. Mine stays. :-)
agree - everyone has to make their own decision...not sure about safety issues as seems our european and asian brethern (with 964's and no alien emerging from rear deck) seem to fare ok....as they do with later series 993 and i would offer a view european/asian drivers are likely as fast - deal with more congestion than you & i.

in terms of impact of 3rd brakelight - i have only found this definitive statement:
(cut & paste from wikipedia):

"Early studies involving taxicabs and other fleet vehicles found that a third stop lamp reduced rear-end collisions by about 50%. The lamp's novelty probably played a role, since today the lamp is credited with reducing collisions by about 5%."

likely since most countries (i think japan may be an exception) have adopted
3rd brakelight laws all studies on the subject are dated.

you are absolutely correct - it is the law and if required by an inspection or police enforement, then a 3rd brakelight install will be needed (AND i have identified the install, a flush mounted thinset LED system as i simply cannot tolerate that horrible little piece of plastic on such a fine car).
Old 11-06-2009, 03:30 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

So, are you saying you have a thin led strip to mount? I'd like to see a pic of that......

thanks, Jaime
Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

The only thing that would make those cab's look better from the rear would be to add the red vinyl film over the tail lights and center section to give them a rich red color-and do away with the washed out pink look-
OH!! I want to see a picture of the LED strip as well -
Old 11-06-2009, 11:10 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
So, are you saying you have a thin led strip to mount? I'd like to see a pic of that......

thanks, Jaime
its here TT....you have a wing so not sure of mount-but for a 964 stock spoiler (after doing a mock up on my car) i determined spoiler up or down this small installation would be visible from driver's height in following car (up to bumper distance) if flush mounted where stock brakelight resides.

website for product is here. light is part # L58 SMB-SK which i would combine with billet frame , part # L58SM-FR. this would result in a flush mounted install of 9"X1" less than .4" above body (and if billet frame was painted to match body color....pretty seamless i expect).
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/leds_plus.html

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Third brake light (ET) removal....yes, or no and why??