Have Door Rattle driving me nuts, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 AM
jsham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have Door Rattle driving me nuts, looking for advice

Hello All,

I have a 90 C4 and on the drivers side window, I have a little rattle that is driving me nuts, I started taking the door a part (but do to limited time that day) never really could find anything that would make sense or that sound.

The rattle will stop if I roll down the window a little about 1/4 inch, so that leaves me to believe that maybe it's in the window mechanism it self, but I would like some advice on where I should look before taring back into the door again, better to have some sort of Idea this time! So If anyone has had this or similar problem and has some advice or even better pictures, I will be very thankful?

Also I would like to take out the center vent air/heat in the dash, if anyone can share the info/pictures, again I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will watch this one with interest as have the same thing on my pax (left window). Funny it is only this side!!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Jamie,

you need to remove the dash top to remove the air vent. It may be possible to remove it in situ, but the risk of breaking the locking tabs on the air vent is high. The dash top comes off pretty easily though. Do a search and dash top removal will tell you all you need to know.

I had a rattle in my drivers door and in my case it turned out to be the lower channel rubber which had gone hard and the metal channel corroding and no longer securely clamping the glass. When the glas was lowered a little it sat more snugly in the vertical runners so didn't rattle however once it was fully raised it moved around in the lower channel causing it to rattle.

Neil
Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
jsham
Instructor

Neil,

I thought it might be something like that (window rattle), how did you fix it, just by replacing the mount?

Thanks for the heads up on the vent, I use a local P dealer who I've become friends with there master tech, and he was explaining over the phone how to get it out and I just couldn't get what he was saying to work, so I will try the dash removal method and see if that helps out.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 01:35 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Ahhh the sometimes heard and rarely seen Door Rattler… becareful in there.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One likely source is the bracket that holds the bottom of the window frame that has broken. It's at the bottom of the long rail dividing the vent glass from the window and you access it through the speaker opening.
They have been breaking on the earlier 911's for years and it's time to start on the 964's
Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I too have a nagging vibration in the driver side door when the window is up. I can roll it down for some relief but not a complete elimination of the noise. When the window is completely down, the sound goes away. I suspected it has something to do with the attachment piece....where glass sits in channel. I will pull one of the door speakers and see if I can access the problem.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have changed the speakers, you have to pull the door panel to get them out.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,885 Likes on 2,889 Posts

put me on the drivers side door rattle list
Old 10-29-2009, 11:12 PM
fiskarflugen
Rennlist Member

I had a rattle which rattled every time i hit a bump and/or crack in the road. The window scissor lift bracket arms are connected with a small pin that has play in it. It will vibrate and make a rattling noise. I simply grabbed one of the scissor arms and pulled it toward me to crate more of a bow in the arm. It puts enough pressure on the arm and pin joint to stop the pin from vibrating. You can PM me if you want more info. Cheerio.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 AM
fiskarflugen
Rennlist Member

BTW- forgot to mention you can tell if it is that pin rattling if you dont get the ratting noise when the window is down vs up. When it is up, there is no torque pressure on the pin and it rattles. WHen it is down, the scissor arms push against each other and the pin wont rattle. Hope this helps!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 AM
jsham
Instructor

OK, I will try this weekend after I come back from SEMA, I try posting some pictures when I get back (SEMA & the Door) and see if I can find the piece that has let go or is broken. Wish me luck, and thanks again to everyone offering up there idea's and help!! The List Rules!!

Cheers All
Old 11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I think I'm pointing to where the pin is that fiskar is talking about. You can't really see the pin in the pic, but it's attached to the metal bar nearest the outside of the door and it slides in the metal bar nearest the inside of the door. Mine is rattling there too and there is a good bit of play of the pin in the track that it slides in.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 PM
ABQ Slim
Instructor

When you say the rattle only happens when the glass is all the way up - that gives it away. I had this a couple years ago. When you get inside, and you have to get inside, you'll see why it behaves that way. Here's a link to a thread telling how to remove the door panel:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=44660

After that, you'll have to gently peel the plastic covering off. Here's a link to the fix - check post #18, which has a picture of the mechanism. You won't have to remove it from the door - this just gives you a reference.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=44660

There's a hex nut that you will have to loosen, then take all the slack out of the regulator, then retighten the hex nut. It will be obvious to you when you manually handle the regulator - with the window rolled all the way up, it will make the noise that's been bugging you for so long. Best of luck.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Here's the direct link to post 18. You can link to an individual post by appending # and the post number to the URL.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...rerid=44660#18

Quick Reply: Have Door Rattle driving me nuts, looking for advice