964 daily driver in cold climate

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:49 PM
steve100
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 daily driver in cold climate

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice on driving a 1989 964 C4 year round in a climate that gets snow and about twice a year gets down to -30C. I had originally planned to buy a 2002-04 996 as they are common to see driven year round. I went through two inspections and both failed miserably and I came across a clean 964 that I love the sound, look, and feel of.

I understand it doesn't have all the creature comforts of a 996 and that is a part of the appeal. Also I'm sick of the depreciation bath that continually happens. With the C4, outside of maintenance it will likely hold it's value.

On the 964 it needs an AC recharge (clutch and brakes were done recently), I'll change the steering wheel, mirrors, and install snow tires. That's about it to get through the first 6 months.

Can you let me know your thoughts on driving this 20 year old car throughout the year. Your experience and feedback is appreciated. I currently drive a Lexus IS350 and 67 MGB in the summers so you can get an idea of what I'm used to. In the past I've owned a 1988 944T and an 84 911.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:44 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome.

I drive my 91 C4 year round in New York. I mount snow tires (good ones) and it handles very well. The heat comes up faster than any car I've ever driven and it's a real pleasure to drive through all four seasons.

There have been several threads on this topic so a search should turn up some useful info; search has been kinda lame for a while; perhaps it's better now.

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the reasons to get a C4 is to drive it in rain in snow - they do great! I drive mine every day, and while we don't get snow in my area, we do get some pretty good rain in the winter, and that's when my '89 really comes into its own!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I also drive mine everyday. I live at 9,000 feet in the central Rockies.It actually snowed today. Anyway, its a great snow car, just put on good winter tires and use tires that are more narrow than the summer tires. Also, make sure you change out the wipers a few times during the winter. Also because of the curvature of the windshield, I find that a regular blade works better than a snow blade as it flexes more at cold temperatures.

Have fun
Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 19 years ago, I had my '75 911S in the Big Bear area of California and in Hot Springs Arkansas when we got about 8-10" of snow in those areas. With a set of cables on the rear tires, I was able to go everywhere. In the Hot Springs snow, where they get snow from time to time and know what it is, my car and one other were the only two cars I saw on the road for the entire morning after the snowfall.

Fast forward to the 964 over the past few years. It is the most incredible handling car in the wet I can imagine. I'll bet it would be a blast in the snow with the AWD and wheel sensors shifting the power!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

About 19 years ago, I had my '75 911S in the Big Bear area of California and in Hot Springs Arkansas when we got about 8-10" of snow in those areas. With a set of cables on the rear tires, I was able to go everywhere. In the Hot Springs snow, where they get snow from time to time and know what it is, my car and one other were the only two cars I saw on the road for the entire morning after the snowfall.

Fast forward to the 964 over the past few years. It is the most incredible handling car in the wet I can imagine. I'll bet it would be a blast in the snow with the AWD and wheel sensors shifting the power!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Just beware of corrosion. I drove my S2 through a winter here in Toronto and it was VERY hard on the car. YMMV - but I had to rebuild all four calipers due to the backing plate caliper corrosion issue.

I think if you wash the car often, taking care to keep the underside as clean as possible - you'll do great. Might be the ONE time you'll WANT your engine undertray on!

I've driven 10,000's of kms rallying on snow and ice with AWD - it's AWESOME.

Get new Blizzaks and enjoy!

RK
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM
steve100
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. I'm going to take a second look at the car this weekend.

My screw up on the search. I first punched in cold climate daily driver and didn't find much. Winter driving gave me a ton of great stuff. Sorry about starting a new thread.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:51 PM
RS 197
Pro

I only drive my C4 in the winter.... Love it, handles great in the snow with a good Sipped all season tire....

You wont regret it...

Quick Reply: 964 daily driver in cold climate