Sponsored by:

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:09 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
Turbos are driven by exhaust. Exhaust is hot. The intake charge will be hotter per lb of boost on a turbo compared to a blower.

Seems like an intercooler would be a very good idea for a turbo, not an upgrade.
Absolutely correct....(not to argue s'charger against turbo)- for low to mid boost installations - supercharger does tend to deliver power earlier and in a more linear fashion and big issue for low to mid boost installs its usually lighter (no plumbing).

Best thing to do is get all the research - you can on forced induction and the issues faced with adding it to high compression engine....then decide.

Am interested in seeing dyno sheet!!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
964speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
Absolutely correct....(not to argue s'charger against turbo)- for low to mid boost installations - supercharger does tend to deliver power earlier and in a more linear fashion and big issue for low to mid boost installs its usually lighter (no plumbing).

Best thing to do is get all the research - you can on forced induction and the issues faced with adding it to high compression engine....then decide.

Am interested in seeing dyno sheet!!
I am not looking at all to start a worldwide argument, I am just looking to understand why there aren't other makers of SC for 964's /993's? If Superchargers are better why doesn't more aftermarket companies make Superchargers for Porsche plantform? TPC has sold many hundreds if not thousands of SC - it would seem here is a large enough market for other makers... Thusly driving the cost down - nothing like pure Competition

again not looking to start an argument just trying to understand the market place and the lack of SC manufactures for 964's...

Old 09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Can I ask why sink all that money into a plain Jane 964 instead of getting a 965? The cost of the car + cost of turbo = a decent 965 3.3 turbo. And the turbo is a better car with a better resale value any way you look at it.

And as to why TPC or Promotive or anyone else don't make more kits, it's a simple: there is no market. There weren't that many cars produced to begin with, they are older, and only a few people are looking to get those kits. I doubt TPC or Promotive move more than a dozen units a year of those kits. There is no real profit in that. That's why most of the tuner companies have concentrated on the 987, 996, and 997 platforms. They are new and Porsche made a ****load of them. Oh yeah, and they are dirt cheap these days
Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Can I ask why sink all that money into a plain Jane 964 instead of getting a 965? The cost of the car + cost of turbo = a decent 965 3.3 turbo. And the turbo is a better car with a better resale value any way you look at it.

And as to why TPC or Promotive or anyone else don't make more kits, it's a simple: there is no market. There weren't that many cars produced to begin with, they are older, and only a few people are looking to get those kits. I doubt TPC or Promotive move more than a dozen units a year of those kits. There is no real profit in that. That's why most of the tuner companies have concentrated on the 987, 996, and 997 platforms. They are new and Porsche made a ****load of them. Oh yeah, and they are dirt cheap these days
+964
Old 09-15-2009, 05:25 PM
964speed
Pro

Originally Posted by ilko

Speaking with Tom from TPC he has stated to me on the phone that they have sold over 2000 units since its inception in 1998 964 /993. That seems llike a lot more than 12 per year more like 180 per year. There seems to be a pretty big market.

Protomotive also states they they have sold a few thousand of these system in the past 10 years. there is still a good size market out there for these systems.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:38 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

well from what I have looked the turbos are more money then it would be for my PP plus the install. Plus i would not want to take a specialty car like a turbo and start playing around with it.. Any of these cars like a turbo that has been tweeked and aftermarket parts added seem to lose value. On mine I feel it would gain value not as much as I pay for the turbo but still some return.

I guess it is an option to get a turbo as well or instead. will look into that. so ilko you would not turbo or s/c any car? just get the stock from the factory? any issues on teh 3.3 that I should know.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

You really believe those claims?

If there were 2000 TPC superchargers out there that would mean that close to 1 in 10 964/993 cars are supercharged!

And Promotive's web site looks like it's from 2001, it is hosted on Geocities or something. If you run a business these days, you better have a quality web presence. Do you really believe that if they sold "a few thousand" kits they wouldn't try and make it look like a real company?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

wellcraft, your car will not gain value, believe me.

I personally wouldn't spend the money on adding a blower on a N/A car. Mine came that way, I love it, but I wouldn't have chosen to do it if I had the opportunity. I'd rather have the engine rebuilt and remapped for that money. That would definitely increase the value of the car.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964speed
Speaking with Tom from TPC he has stated to me on the phone that they have sold over 2000 units since its inception in 1998 964 /993. That seems llike a lot more than 12 per year more like 180 per year. There seems to be a pretty big market..
I wonder how many of those were sold in the first few years when the cars were worth more. Buying a $10K mod for a $50K car made more sense than now buying a $10K mod for a $15K car.

Protomotive also states they they have sold a few thousand of these system in the past 10 years. there is still a good size market out there for these systems.
There is a market all right, a diminishing market. In the economy of scale, these are not Hondas or Camaros. We will never have that level of aftermarket competition.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:34 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

well Blue I really doubt my car is only worth 15k. Even in this down market. I have a 91 with 50,000 miles in mint condition with rebuilt drivetrain etc. I would not take less then 22k or more for it.

I really don't care about resale etc anyway or does it make sense to do a mod just want to get opinions on if safe or real world exp. If I cared about throwing good money after bad I would never change the oil because that would just be throwing money away that I would never see back or better yet buy any car.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:38 PM
964speed
Pro

[QUOTE=ilko;6906151]You really believe those claims?

If there were 2000 TPC superchargers out there that would mean that close to 1 in 10 964/993 cars are supercharged!

And Promotive's web site looks like it's from 2001, it is hosted on Geocities or something. If you run a business these days, you better have a quality web presence. Do you really believe that if they sold "a few thousand" kits they wouldn't try and make it look like a real company?[/QUOTE

It's hard for me to believe anyone one when it comes to Porsche ...it seems alot of folks talk loads of $h!t... What I can tell you is I've seen Eddie Bello 1100+ hp Turbo car and that is real. I have had many many discussion with him regarding SC and turbo - His feeling is TURBO hands down. SO I believe him because I've seen what he can do with the car. I know Low boost can work on these cars.

As for good investment I don't think many of us are going to get back what we put into the cars anyway. So to sell my car for a loss and 15k - 20k additonal for 3.3 turbo seems like more of a leap for me.

or maybe I'll wait a while until I find a great deal on a 993 TT. Thoses deals are coming sooner or later.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with above posts - general rule of thumb......always cheaper (and often safer) to buy power on the hoof rather than modify and that is especially true if you are dependent on shop labor for the installation.
personal view (no arguments) the 964 in terms of performance adders - seems better suited to weight reduction/suspension modification, and for power adder built out to a 3.8 (naturally aspirated).
Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

rasp problem in my mind of a 3.8 is it is expensive with nominal gains. I have seen or heard that the costs to build a 3.8 is between 15-20k. I just feel I will be very close to what I have now but more expenisive. If I could get 150 hp more then maybe worth it.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
well Blue I really doubt my car is only worth 15k. Even in this down market. I have a 91 with 50,000 miles in mint condition with rebuilt drivetrain etc. I would not take less then 22k or more for it.

I really don't care about resale etc anyway or does it make sense to do a mod just want to get opinions on if safe or real world exp. If I cared about throwing good money after bad I would never change the oil because that would just be throwing money away that I would never see back or better yet buy any car.
I was not speaking of your car in particular, but the point is still the same. There is a very small market of people that will put $7-10K in mods into a 20 year old car that is worth less than a new civic.

Personally I love the idea of low boost intercooled turbo on high compression. Reason being you can run a small turbo that will have quick response and full boost at low rpms. Perfect for street driving.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:02 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Blueheeler I agree with the setup. It should be amazing. Actually driven a stage 1 964 and it is incredible. and 964 I agree we all do things we will never see a return on.

Oh well live and learn but when I am living and learning with a turbo I will be a head faster
I just need to see if anyone else has done it only know of one guy with the kit and teh car was great.

Quick Reply: turbo