Sponsored by:

Petrol Smell in Cabin & Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:26 AM
ianellison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol Smell in Cabin & Engine Bay

I know this is a recurrent question but despite checking all the fuel line connections, changing the petrol cap and checking that the latest type of filler neck is fitted (it is) I am still getting a petrol smell in the cabin and in the engine bay after a drive. My questions are:
1. Is your car free of any fuel smell or do we all get a bit of odour?
2. Has anyone changed the carbon filter in the rear wheel arch to solve this problem?

What else can I do to solve this? Thanks...
Old 08-21-2009, 07:50 AM
appletonn
Intermediate

Had exactly the same on my newly acquired C2 - turned out to be the plastic valve that sits right on top of the fuel tank expansion chamber (sits in a rubber grommet with a 90 degree bend top and bottom with rubber pipes connected to it) had a crack in the plastic outlet on top, thus breathing petrol fumes into the car!

New one cost me £23 in UK and fitted it in 15 mins, now all sorted.

Good luck
Old 08-21-2009, 02:51 PM
JDD
Instructor

I have tightened all lines, replaced the filler neck, cap, and carbon filter. The smell remains!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:21 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a very faint smell of gas if the trunk hasnt been opened in along time.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

My cars are free of gas smell. I would check/replace the gas cap, gas filler neck, evaporative canister, gas filter and all rubber gas lines.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the problem of fuel / petrol smell in the cabin just at start up and once i'm driving (with windows down) the smell goes away. Will check the 90 deg plastic part for cracks etc.

Appletonn, would you have pictures of the fix?

thanks!
Old 11-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by ianellison
2. Has anyone changed the carbon filter in the rear wheel arch to solve this problem?
Where is this carbon filter? For some I was led to believe there was no cabin filter to clean/replace. Best of luck with the troubleshooting. I just thought it was normal to have a slight oil/fuel smell in our cars. That is part of the charm.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Where is this carbon filter? For some I was led to believe there was no cabin filter to clean/replace. Best of luck with the troubleshooting. I just thought it was normal to have a slight oil/fuel smell in our cars. That is part of the charm.
Hah! Me too... My wife always says "you smell of Porsche" whenever I've been out in car. I just took it for granted that was how 911's smell.

Neil
Old 11-19-2009, 06:12 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

One other thing to check(after looking at hose connections etc...) is the banjo fitting on the fuel pump. I've seen these loosen up slightly, enough to give an occasional drip of fuel, but not enough to accumulate on the floor. Check for tightness.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
I have the problem of fuel / petrol smell in the cabin just at start up and once i'm driving (with windows down) the smell goes away. Will check the 90 deg plastic part for cracks etc.

Appletonn, would you have pictures of the fix?

thanks!
I was nervous about changing the filler neck but found it was easy following Jamie's DIY write up.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...placement.html
Old 11-20-2009, 12:10 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

My car has that distinct "porsche smell" as well and have been contemplating the fillerr neck replacement.

Just went and checked that shut-off valve on top of the expansion chamber (#10) below and its real easy to pull up from where it sits. I suppose that means its probably broken?

Add another thing to the winter list.
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by appletonn
Had exactly the same on my newly acquired C2 - turned out to be the plastic valve that sits right on top of the fuel tank expansion chamber (sits in a rubber grommet with a 90 degree bend top and bottom with rubber pipes connected to it) had a crack in the plastic outlet on top, thus breathing petrol fumes into the car!

New one cost me £23 in UK and fitted it in 15 mins, now all sorted.

Good luck
+1 A lot of the threads I have seen here have been related to that and not the filler neck.

Order of troubleshooting (from free to more expensive...):
1. Check the condition of all hoses, and that all hose clamps are secured. This also includes the tube going to the carbon canister, and removing bottom cover to check fuel pump area.
2. Fuel cap seal. This seal can be purchased separately for around US$3-4.00 or you can just buy a new fuel cap.
3. Vent valve at the top of the small fuel tank on the drivers side could be craked. Part No. 964 201 175 01 (This is a US$30-40.00 part)

After all this I suggest you remove the trunk carpet and give it a shampoo and let it air dry completely before installing... sometimes you remove the source of the leak but keep looking because the carpet still has the gas smell.

All these steps will help you eliminate the smell. But if your significant other has grown used to your oil and gas smell, well... you can bring back that fragance by mixing one part gas with two part oil and placing small drops of the mix behind your ears, neck, and the back of your knees... drives them wild!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:12 AM
jzc28
Advanced

I noticed the same problem 2 months after purchasing my '89 C4. Replacing the gas cap did not help so I took the car to a smog check shop. They pressurized the system and found a leak in a vapor line under the driver's door. My mechanic replaced the deteriorated line and within a week, the smell was gone.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:56 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by newsboy
One other thing to check(after looking at hose connections etc...) is the banjo fitting on the fuel pump. I've seen these loosen up slightly, enough to give an occasional drip of fuel, but not enough to accumulate on the floor. Check for tightness.
I've owned my car since August of last year and about a month after the purchase I noticed a faint smell in the trunk. Over time it was getting worse and I have since replaced the fuel filler neck, the overflow valve and all of the rubber hoses. The smell is less, but I still have it and it isn't the carpeting as I have completely removed it and the smell still remains.

Newsboy, I would be interested in more information about the banjo fitting you are discussing as I am almost out of things to check or replace except the tank itself and I have had it pressure checked.

Quick Reply: Petrol Smell in Cabin & Engine Bay