Sponsored by:

New Rear Speakers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:07 PM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Rear Speakers!

Just finished installed a pair of Infinity Reference 4x6's.
Sound is not bad at all given that these are only 4x6's. I used a pair of BMW E30 speaker spacers with a top cover. Had to do a little cutting on the inside of the spacer but otherwise, once it was fitted with the top cover looks like a factory install.
Now I move on to installing my Focal component speakers up front.
If I can gripe for a moment, why the heck do folks buy a Porsche than proceed to install the crappiest/cheapest speakers they can find once the OEM ones go bad? Damn! My mini portable radio sounded better!

By the way, can anyone tell me the color code/polarity of the front wiring? I saw a post previously that referred to striped (not stripped) wires but mine are all solid colors. However, the one consistent color is brown. I think there's a yellow, green and some other color.
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been eying Infinity References for a while. Which Model number did you go with? Were these the 4x6 plate speakers or the oval 4x6's?
Old 08-10-2009, 03:25 PM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Originally Posted by HalV
I've been eying Infinity References for a while. Which Model number did you go with? Were these the 4x6 plate speakers or the oval 4x6's?
Can't remember the exact model no. but these were the coaxial version and not the plate. The people I bought them from (Ebay lister) sent me the wrong ones since I wanted the plates. But after hooking them up I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm not too concerned about the rears since my main speakers will be the Focal fronts.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I've recently been running w/o the rears as I upgrade the whole system. Despite being a hard-core 2-channel home audiophile, I actually prefer the immersion of 4 channels in the car. I'm interested to know more about high-end rear solutions people have installed. Plates at least. Can you stuff anything larger in the rear shelf??

RK
Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 PM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
I've recently been running w/o the rears as I upgrade the whole system. Despite being a hard-core 2-channel home audiophile, I actually prefer the immersion of 4 channels in the car. I'm interested to know more about high-end rear solutions people have installed. Plates at least. Can you stuff anything larger in the rear shelf??

RK
One old school possibility is using ADS 300i plate speakers. But not sure about the fit in the existing cut outs. The one thing I hate to do is start modifying the existing panels.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rally Guy

RK
I am a hard core 2 channel audiophile at home too. After hearing the acoustics of the 911, I am not going to bother much. I am in the process of installing Boston Acoustics all the way around, but without a sub 5.25 doors and plate rears will never cut the mustard. Not to mention a 3.6 snarling engine. I am fine with that.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 AM
TA911-64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just upgraded door speakers with Boston Acoustic Pro 60 Se 6.75" speakers powered by Boston Acoustic GT-42 amp. So clear and loud can't hear engine at
6500 rpm. (I KNOW I'll get some negative responses for THAT one!!!)
Old 08-11-2009, 01:08 AM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are the stock oem speakers 2 or 4 ohms? I'm looking foe some rears myself, but the Infinity are not available down here...

Quick Reply: New Rear Speakers!