Sponsored by:

odd whistle

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question odd whistle

I have been hearing an odd high-pitched noise that varies with engine speed. It seems to come from the LH side of the car. I thought maybe the radio was hearing an RF and it was coming through the door-mounted tweeter, but it carries on with the radio off.

My first thought was that it was the air-flapper-whistle some have identified, but it varies with engine speed, not road speed.

Any Wise Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:41 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

See if it isn't your fan belt roller sensor.. Turn off the car - and take a tie wrap and tie the roller/pulley slightly off the belt (so it doesn't rotate). Start the car and see if it still whistles. Once you figure out if that's the issue - remove the tie-wrap..

JD
Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Does it happen when the car is stationary and the engine is running or is it only when the car is at speed?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
grankin
Instructor

Originally Posted by John D.
See if it isn't your fan belt roller sensor.. Turn off the car - and take a tie wrap and tie the roller/pulley slightly off the belt (so it doesn't rotate). Start the car and see if it still whistles. Once you figure out if that's the issue - remove the tie-wrap..

JD
Did (after losing the rubber band in lieu of tie-wrap, then retrieving it), noted a tiny bit of difference.

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Does it happen when the car is stationary and the engine is running or is it only when the car is at speed?
Hard to replicate when stationary w/out wincing, but it comes through loud & clear in first gear. Really comes in about 2,500-3,000 rpm, rises in pitch with engine speed.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Not sure I understand why its hard to replicate with the car is stationary? I was thinking that if it makes the noise while stationary, then the problem is some how related to the engine because the driveline is stationary when the car is stationary.

Can you put the car in neutral, set the hand brake, radio off, HVAC off, roll the windows down and then rev the engine to 3,000 and then back to idle? If the noise does not occur, then try turning on the radio and repeat the test. If nothing, turn on the HVAC and repeat.

I'm suspecting that you may be hearing a noise through the heater/ac ducting. My cabrio has a slight whistle because of a small tear in the cooling shroud boot.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:20 PM
grankin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Not sure I understand why its hard to replicate with the car is stationary? I was thinking that if it makes the noise while stationary, then the problem is some how related to the engine because the driveline is stationary when the car is stationary.
errr ... because I was being chicken about revving it up in the garage? No excuse, sir!

Can you put the car in neutral, set the hand brake, radio off, HVAC off, roll the windows down and then rev the engine to 3,000 and then back to idle? If the noise does not occur, then try turning on the radio and repeat the test. If nothing, turn on the HVAC and repeat.

I'm suspecting that you may be hearing a noise through the heater/ac ducting. My cabrio has a slight whistle because of a small tear in the cooling shroud boot.
Dinked around with it some more. It gets louder when a window or the sunroof is opened. It is inaudible when the engine's cold. The heat duct that runs in the LH footwell was replaced recently. Will have a look at tightening up the hose clamps, in the event that I'm getting air escaping from there - which might be explained by the increase in loudness when the sunroof is open.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grankin
errr ... because I was being chicken about revving it up in the garage? No excuse, sir!
Didn't mean to sound harsh, I just didn't want to waste your time or $$$ on the wrong thing.

Sounds like you have eliminated the drive line (wheels, brakes, tranny, etc) as a cause. After you have tightened the hose clamps, let us know if the problem is solved or not.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I think Rob is right on target since it's not the roller wheel.

As it acts as an air whistle - rather than a mechanical issue - I'd be interested as well... And Rob? You are in Nashua?? Dang - howdy neighbor!!

John
Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D.
I think Rob is right on target since it's not the roller wheel.

As it acts as an air whistle - rather than a mechanical issue - I'd be interested as well... And Rob? You are in Nashua?? Dang - howdy neighbor!!

John
Yes, John. I'm in Nashua. How is the clutch job coming?

Quick Reply: odd whistle