PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I am going back to the shop
Old 08-21-2009, 02:37 AM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Can someone please tell me where to find the resistors so that they can be checked for replacement first thing in the morning?

Along with any other information that would make getting one from the dealership and installing it any easier. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 AM
anto1150
Pro

2. Is there a good write-up available for removing this motor other than that found in the Porsche Manual. Any helpful hints for doing the job? Thanks.
+1

thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

No offense, but anyone having issues of their own, make your own topic so that mine still has a purpose....I need an answer to my last question and wont get it with 100 other questions being added on top.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

"Eric, I also have a non functioning driver side motor. Two questions:
1. Was the motor "cooked" or just "frozen" due to lack of lubrication.

2. Is there a good write-up available for removing this motor other than that found in the Porsche Manual. Any helpful hints for doing the job? Thanks."

For 1, the motor had a black dusty buildup that looks like it was the bearing disintegrating. The motor is a piece of junk, very similar design to the rear blower motor.

For 2, there are a few very good writeups for replacing the front blower motors, take a look at:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...isconnect.html
Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

PC964, which resistors are you looking for? The rear blower resistor is in the air tube attached to the rear blower on the engine. In front there is a plate bolted to the firewall which helps control the speed for the front blower motors.... is that what you are referring to?

For the no AC when stopped, I feel its an issue with the front blowers.... when the car is moving, you get air forced in from outside, when you stop, no flow........
Old 08-21-2009, 01:05 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheCarrera964
Can someone please tell me where to find the resistors so that they can be checked for replacement first thing in the morning?

Along with any other information that would make getting one from the dealership and installing it any easier. Thanks!
The resistor is in the left hand side wheel well, in front of the left front wheel. It is a challenge to get to; you have to jack the car, remove the wheel, remove the wheel well liner exposing the a/c condensor and fan. Visual inspection might help (they often literally disintegrate when they fail) but I'd just turn on the a/c and stick your hand under the fan outlet (the air blows down toward the ground through a grill just in front of the left front wheel) and see if the fan's running. It has two speeds and should run at its low speed when the a/c switch is on. If the resistor is failed, the fan will usually short cycle on high speed, which doesn't work well. If you have access to a Bosch system tester, you can check that the two stages of the fan are functioning.

From your other issues of air not blowing to the windscreen on one side, I'd suspect that you've got problems with your front servos, if both air circulation fans are functioning.

"Small" leaks mean loss of refrigerant - I find this a/c system very intolerant of even small deficiencies. Sounds like you need a good a/c guy who knows these systems...
Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 PM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Thanks a ton both of you

The A/C blows at all times the same speed, however it is only cold when I am driving up to speed.

I will check both of the resistors, the shop wants $200 to replace one, I figure it would be easy enough to do it myself
Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take a look at the following link:

http://p-car.com/diy/fan/

The majority is about the oil cooler fan, but the debugging is the same for the AC fan.

Quick Reply: .:: A/C panel taking a nap - HELP! ::.