Sponsored by:

Poor Quality - Reman Bosch Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:21 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Poor Quality - Reman Bosch Alternator

I just installed a remanufactured alternator. The new one had the condenser screwed into the spot that the third harness wire is supposed to go. I didn't discover this until noticing that this wire was causing the rubber grommet of the wiring harness not to seat because I had screwed it into the (wrong) open hole. A bit of an annoyance.

The real trouble is that they apparently tapped the hole that the condenser is supposed to screw into for a larger thread. So off to the hardware to find a screw that would fit.

Just a heads-up to check your replacement alternator to make sure that everything is as it should be before installation. I have no choice but to presume that a little more attention to detail was applied to the inside of the alt!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:01 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I had very poor experience with "Bosch Remanufactured" alternators on a Mercedes I owned for many years. Two alternator failures in less than 40,000 miles was bad enough, but the third unit had a bearing noise right from the start.

I complained to the shop that sold them. When I threatened to complain to Bosch, the owner confessed that someone in a town named Sleepy Hollow (I am not making this up) rebuilt them in his basement. What he actually did was get them working again and clean them. He had evidently repaired an electrical failure on a ~300,000 mile unit, and that is why the bearing made noise.

The units came in brand new Bosch boxes with credible-looking instructions, evidently from new or Bosch-reman units the fellow had sold. I am afraid it is caveat emptor in the rebuilt parts business. There is a lot of money there, and anywhere there is money, the scams follow.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:16 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Wow, quite a story! Mine came from one of the big online parts houses (partsgeek.com). Given the volume they deal with, I can't imagine that these aren't official Bosch remaned units. Whoever Bosch is using though, is not keeping with any kind of a standard.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:21 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Well, maybe Sleepy Hollow is still in business -

I got stranded with a dead battery last night on my first night after installing the new alt. No battery light came on. After checking the wiring, I swapped in my old alternator and it charges just fine (but with a bearing noise) and the battery light comes on with the ignition key.

Result: brand new reman Bosch was dead on arrival. I'm out a Saturday evening dinner party that I was on my way to, 1.5hrs waiting for a tow truck ride, and lots of aggravation pulling the alt back out this afternoon.

Be sure and check that the battery light lights up with the key before driving off if you've just replaced your alternator!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
JDD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me three reman units before I got a good one. I was left stranded as well with no light with the key!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Bosch reman alternator #2:

Plugged in the wiring harness and the battery light in the clock came on. So this one works.

However, the condenser was again screwed into the hole for the ground wire. And BOTH SCREW HOLES WERE STRIPPED! Straight out of the box! I drilled them both out and tapped for a short M8 bolt. Is there any quality control at all on these units?

I have a feeling that I'll be lucky to get 40k out of this thing.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Well, #2 worked. For almost an entire month. Battery died on me over the weekend. I charged it up and while running there is only 12v at the battery (should be ~13.5v if the alternator was charging). Battery light didn't come on so I only assume that it failed internally just like the DOA 1st one.

Am taking it to an alternator shop. With some luck they can do a real rebuild and I won't have to worry about it replacing it with another dud.

Of course, Bosch has no feedback / contact system that I can find either.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I've always wondered about what quality control is done on "rebuilt" alternators and starters. Is anyone in the business?

Quick Reply: Poor Quality - Reman Bosch Alternator