Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got a good drive in! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 PM
rockpicker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got a good drive in! (pics)

Well, it worked out that a group of us planned a daytrip to Northern Maine for some offroad biking at the new ski facility. I wasn't real keen on driving the Prius full of bikes, so I was psyched when a buddy agreed to haul 3 on his car so I could take the RSA. Couldn't have asked for a better way to spend a beautiful Sunday after literally 5 weeks of rain.

Heading north

This thing stuck out like a hooker in church in Northern Maine. Did you know the motor's in the wrong end and youi can't check the oil when its turned on?

The view in Aroostook County

These are the new turbines in Mars Hill. Obviously, the locals hate them, but I applaud the State for a step in the right direction.

Before the ride

After the ride

The governor must be in town

Shortly after this the road develops lots of twists and elevation changes for 50 miles

Carbo loading

Joe, you should make an offer on this. It has a plow!

Mt. Katahdin behind the clouds at +speed limits...

Great day, great friends, great driving. Enjoy!
Matt
Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the riding like up there?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a terrific road trip. I'm in the process of planning a mtn bike trip with a buddy of mine and can't wait; I'll have to consider driving the Porsche. Is that your 429? I'm completely sold on mine!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 PM
rockpicker
Advanced

The Red 429 is mine, the silver one belongs to the Audi driver. There were also 2 Santa Cruz Blur LTs, 1 Carbon LT, and a Niner 29" FS. I've had a lot of bikes, including other FS 29s, and this one is by far the best one yet. The riding in North New England is quick steep rocky climbs and descents with roots, gnarly wooded singletrack. Really hard on bikes and quite anaerobic. Love to have you come up. This particular location has about the most elevation we're going to see in Maine with a lot of winding switchbacks.

Matt
Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a little spoiled because I'm very close to two parks that are very different.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan.../fairhill.html
http://www.destateparks.com/park/white-clay-creek/
Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 AM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't agree more on the 429. Previous 29r's include an Ells Evolve and an Intense Spyder, both good bikes however the 429 just has something the other don't. I won't be switching from the 429 anytime soon. Sounds like a great ride and hope to venture north in the near future to partake. I've been riding Patapsco (Baltimore), Roseryville (near Andrews AFB) and Fountain Head in VA. Anyhow back to Porsche content: I usually put the bike rack on the 964 and enjoy both the drive and the ride. Enjoyed the pics of the bikes, the culture and of course the RSA.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:17 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 232 Posts

Nice pics! I've camped & biked in Baxter State Park - what a gorgeous area!

Is that a PIVOT Mach 4 or 5? I've been considering one, but keep coming back to the Titus Moto-Lite...

Andreas
Old 07-22-2009, 01:30 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a great day! Maine rocks. Nice RSA btw...

I ride every day myself... Have a single track right behind my home.

-B
Old 07-22-2009, 11:25 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Now those are real friends, offering to carry your bike so you can drive the Porsche! I've driven a bunch with bikes on the top... but having someone else carry the bike really allows you to enjoy the drive!

I started to think about a drive I took last week....

A buddy wanted to meet at a local MTB trail for a ride, to get there I had to use the 964. The rack and bike went up on the car in a couple of minutes...

What a taunt though! My bike is heavy, so I needlessly worried about the rack coming of the top if I took a corner too fast? Therefore I took it easy the whole time, which is really hard to do in the 64. I ended up driving the car like I had an RV in front of me the whole time! Granny starts, taking it real easy around corners, leaning in with my body as if it would help counter the turning forces...

Then after the ride, I got a bunch of crap from a group of riders as I was leaving the trail. They were sucking down post-ride beers while telling me that I'm ruining my car by putting the rack on top?

So strangers are telling me to keep the car in the garage + then driving slowly for fear of the rack coming off = crappy drive. Note: no marks on the car rails post drive. I need to buy a cheap pickup truck for this kind of stuff.

What I love about Porsche's is the all duty nature of these cars. I haul kids, drive in the rain, etc. but this recent "utilitarian" drive wasn't enjoyable for me...

I need to keep repeating ""The miles you don't drive a 911, you don't get those back".
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2009, 01:12 PM
rockpicker
Advanced

Andreas
Its a Mach 429. I had an Asylum OCD prior to this, and briefly demoed the Intense Tracer as well. I had no idea there were this many riders here; I'll have to check the Off Topic forum more often.

I have a fit kit for the Porsche, but its a PITA to put on and take off when I can just use a different vehicle or get someone else to carry my stuff for me.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Finally got a good drive in! (pics)