Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steve Wong Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Must be another one who "sucked-up" the "smoke & mirrors", right?
I betcha my 964 will "smoke" your 964, and you won't be lookin' in the "mirrors" to see that!

Seriously, you need to google "Hooked on Personalities", right next to "Hooked on Phonics"...if you buy both, I think you get a discount...at least that's what one of your chronies told me.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"OP, just FYI but there are a ton of posts regarding Steve Wong chips over on Pelican."

Hardly a forum in the same league as Rennlist, with most posters just basically
able to intelligently comment on which are the best paint polishes!
Calling Pelican a collection of paint polishers is laughable. The technical knowledge on that board is astounding. I could have sworn you were banned there for awhile; maybe the people building race engines got tired of listening to your comparatively ignorant drivel.

Originally Posted by springer3
I have reported this post to the moderator. Loren gets close to the edge on occasion, but it is never personal. He makes a contribution to some pretty technical discussions, and he is qualified to hold an expert opinion.

This post is personal and over the top. Can we keep it civil even if we do not agree?

Thank you
And Ive reported yours for reporting his. Get real.

If you think that Loren's crusade to clear the way for his own 911 chips isn't personal, you are delusional. It doesn't get any more personal.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys...relax. I was just having a little fun with Lorenfb...please, let's not fight amongst ourselves, let's concentrate our efforts towards making fun of people that are making fun of US!!

Lorenfb continues to sling condescending remarks towards "US", the "Wong Supporters" and I think that's just pathetic. To openly flame another member that's "in the business" is basically painting a target on one's ****. I don't spend much time thinking about it, but when I do, I just can't believe that someone could be so publicly brash towards someone in the same business, it's like Lorenfb doesn't understand that Steve Wong is a fellow human, a Porsche enthusiest and would be NOWHERE in the industry if he didn't know something.

There are other VERY WELL respected vendors/Porsche technicians on here that utilize Steve's services...if his services were "smoke and mirrors" I can guarantee the likes of whom I refer to wouldn't have a thing to do with him.

Furthermore, to make fun of another VERY WELL respected discussion/technical board related to our sickness, is just plain stupid. C'mon, wake up and pull yer head out of your intake!

I'm not sure I made any sense, but hell, it felt good typing it!

My light-hearted comments are an attempt to be funny and insert some humor into this thread. I have purchased a chip through Steve Wong and just google race results, the damn thing works! I have another good friend who is a Rennlist member who is going through the steps to upgrade from a 93 octane Wong chip to 100 octane and is getting spectacular results so far.

It is not a "black art", it is not "smoke and mirrors" - it's a talent coupled with vast knowledge of how these systems work. I run 93 octane, that's it, nothing special, no additives, no double-oil cooler system and my car runs perfectly in 90+ degree weather AT THE TRACK. If these chips were hogwash and it was risky to use them, I would've blown up a motor by now.

So far, so good...knock on carbon-fiber.

(That was a play on "knock on wood" Lorenfb)
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I have a 93 Wong chip. I love it, I'm happy. I haven't dyno'd it, but after having driven the car almost 20,000 miles in the past two years, I immediately had to subconsciously change the way I modulated the throttle, not because there were huge hp gains, but because there was a response improvement after the install. The 3.6 always had plenty of torque around town, but subconsciously I found myself waiting for the dial to pass 4k. Power delivery and response felt different after the chip install. I'm happy with that alone.

The other consideration was what Jeff Curtis mentions above
If these chips were hogwash and it was risky to use them, I would've blown up a motor by now.
Knowing guys like him have been taking their engines to the limit with the exact same chip (for a LONG TIME), makes me feel better at night.

I appreciate Lorens comments, and everyone considering this type of product should read everything possible (and drive in Wong chipped cars) to make the best educated decision about chips or any mod they plan to make.

The question is, what purpose do Loren's incessant "smoke&mirrors" comments really serve? (Other than making W. chip owners feel like *****)

Loren, do yourself a favor, lower your blood pressure by not responding. Please try to resist replying next time. Look away. A quick search will pull up hundreds of posts were you've made the same basic comment. (people will find your comments, believe me your voice will be heard) We've got it! I appreciate it. Now move on and make something better... and we'll all buy that product too.

For anyone thinking about the chip... buy it, if it doesn't impress, return it.

Last edited by 911Jetta; 08-07-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: text
Old 08-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I just can't believe that someone could be so publicly brash towards someone in the same business"

Same business, where's that the case???????????????????

"If you think that Loren's crusade to clear the way for his own 911 chips isn't personal, you are delusional."

Do what? Where is that the case, please?
Some just can't deal directly with the issues and have to make up lies
and do personal attacks, i.e. not the same as attacking the technical
hyperbole posted on Rennlist which few if any address! Isn't this a forum
to provide reliable data/info to make intelligent decisions or promote products
for "your good buddies" and discredit challenges?

"Calling Pelican a collection of paint polishers is laughable. The technical knowledge on that board is astounding."

Please! Even the simplest technical issues, e.g. 1972 911, most get it wrong
and waste money for many, which is great for selling parts on that site.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 08-08-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Loren: We get your point. You don't like SW chips. Your reasoning is flawed and has been refuted. Regardless, your replies are no longer on topic and are really showing your personality in a bad light. Move on please.

Steve W.: I've a question on your 93 chip. If a tank of 89 is the only option and the knock sensor triggers whatever ignition advance algorithm that it uses, how much advance does it pull out and for how long a time? Is it going to be a bear to drive until the tank octane is brought back up? Do you alter this at all in your chips? And how dangerous is this scenario? I'm not too familiar with how the 3.6L knock sensors are setup.

Also, are there any future chip options that contain multiple maps? Say one for 89 oct, 93 oct, stock exhaust, muffler bypass, etc.

Thanks,
nick
Old 08-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"If you think that Loren's crusade to clear the way for his own 911 chips isn't personal"

That lie, initially made by the so-called "tuner" goes to indicate his lack of credibility!

"You don't like SW chips."

Actually all "performance" chips.

"Your reasoning is flawed and has been refuted."

Really? Where, please provide some factual data and not guesses or beliefs in posted hyperbole.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

topic change or back to topic `coming at you`
Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Arguing with you really isn't worth my time Loren. Your position is pretty obvious to everyone. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:56 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by -nick
Arguing with you really isn't worth my time Loren. Your position is pretty obvious to everyone. Best of luck to you.
now having reread this complete forum subject.....I fully agree with you
Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Amroth
Racer

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
And Ive reported yours for reporting his. Get real.

If you think that Loren's crusade to clear the way for his own 911 chips isn't personal, you are delusional. It doesn't get any more personal.
Indeed, I don't think it's fair that I've received an infraction for "insulting other members". All I did was state some obvious facts. I guess this forum is quite strict about confrontation between members. Just to be sure I read my own post again from a third-person perspective but still don't see anything wrong with it, I stand by every word.

:shrug:
Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM
96foe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone shut up lorenfb is God of all Porsche's. If your all scared to say it, I will. ]Lorenfb Get a life.

Last edited by Bonster; 08-08-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Point can easily be made without useless name calling.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:15 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Its too bad this thread appears to be derailing as it is actually extremely interesting. Shame there isnt more dyno backed data being submitted. This always seems to be the case in these debates over the effectiveness of aftermarket bits. The missing piece that could really settle matters always seems to be a very simple collection of third party verified before and after dynos done same day.

OK... back to raspberry's topic change post - its mesmerizing.. LOL
Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mlambert890
... Shame there isnt more dyno backed data being submitted...
One 'interested' party is planning on doing just that, and I think they would be willing to share their findings. We'll see.

All PM's replied. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 96foe
Everyone shut up lorenfb is God of all Porsche's. If your all scared to say it, I will. ]Lorenfb Get a life you Condescending Retard
1) Personal attacks violate the forum rules If you object to a condescending tone, why do you degenerate to such a hostile and personal one?

2) We should welcome the balance Loren brings to the commercial hype we see on performance upgrades. Loren is well-informed and completely within the common wisdom: fast, cheap, reliable - pick any two.

Quick Reply: Steve Wong Chip?