Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love at first drive...(and hello)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Tagsley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love at first drive...(and hello)

Not sure about you guys, but it took exactly one drive for me to fall in love with the 964 C2 Cab. I love the engine, the handling, the fact that a 6'2" driver fits comfortably. I love the air-cooled engine, the G50...everything about it makes me feel more alive when I am driving it. (My daily driver is an E55, and it has quite an isolating effect.)

So help talk me out of buying one 964 in particular.
1. It leaks a LOT of oil...maybe a full teaspoon while at rest for 15 minutes.
2. The power for the top doesnt work (cable.) but it works manually
3. Over 130k miles...never rebuilt.
4. 2 accidents, but looks good to to eye.
5. bald tires
6. power windows only work intermittently
7. air conditioning isn't very cold
8. a leak down test performed 10 years ago showed 8, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 on the cylinders (I don't know what those numbers represent but the 4 can't be good.)

Yet it would only cost me $9-10,000 to drive home and it ran strong on the test drive....

And I love the color. Grey.

Help.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you got another $10,000 to spend on it in the near future? If not, it might be best to leave it where it is.

p.s. Presuming those are percentage points for the leak-down test they look pretty good to me but may no longer be relevent as you say they were done 10 years ago.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes, the 964's are great cars. If you are considering buying one, I would look for a better example than the one you described. The cost of repairing all of those things will be more than the cost of a 964 in better condition.

Good luck and I hope you find a good one soon.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like a parts car
Goodluck in your search
Old 07-01-2009, 08:37 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if it weren't for all the other faults - bald tyres would keep me away. If the current owner can't even be bothered to replace bald tyres you can guarantee there hasn't been any other maintenance either (as the rest of the list seems to suggest).

Even the problems you have listed would be expensive to fix (significant oil leak + that mileage probably means you need a top end rebuild). And I guarantee that for every problem you did notice - there are at least another two that you didn't.

It's a money pit.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with the comments above. You see only the tip of the iceberg when you find examples of neglect. There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche. A well-maintained example will cost less money and hassle to maintain and bring more joy of ownership every day. It will be easier to sell, and you will get back more of your initial investment.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 AM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Move on to a better example for all the reasons stated above. IMO your ownership experience will be far better starting off with a machine that isn't a headache from the word go. The car your looking at sounds expensive $$$$$ after the purchase!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes I agree move on you can find another example for just a bit more if your not afraid of high miles that has had a rebuilt motor or at least top end with no leaks and in good working order. I know a tope end has been discussed here and can cost like 5-7k and total rebuild like 13k or so.

Most have been rebuilt due to the leaking issue and you will be better off.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Tagsley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaveK
Even if it weren't for all the other faults - bald tyres would keep me away. If the current owner can't even be bothered to replace bald tyres you can guarantee there hasn't been any other maintenance either (as the rest of the list seems to suggest).

Even the problems you have listed would be expensive to fix (significant oil leak + that mileage probably means you need a top end rebuild). And I guarantee that for every problem you did notice - there are at least another two that you didn't.

It's a money pit.
Thank you all for your comments. I will indeed keep looking for a better 964. DaveK's comments made me recall that the owner also tried to hide the fact that it had been in a bad accident until I just happened to know the person who did the repairs on it. That should have been enough of a red flag!

I will continue my search and research. This forum is simply awesome and a wonderful resource.

ps - Can someone tell me where to find the answers to the FAQ outline?
http://members.rennlist.com/jfk964/faq_toc.htm

TIA

Mark
Old 07-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

A firend of mine who was a foreman at a Porsche Main Dealer came to look at the first Porsche I considered buying. Sounds like it could have been the brother of the car you described above. After spending 45 minutes examining the car he told me to never waste him time again on such a pig of a car and the obvious faults he pointed out should have been spotted by me. Needless to say, the next 13 cars were all rejected for one reason or another. It is a learning curve and the issues you spotted on this one make them easier to spot on the next one.
My advice is to not be in a hurry. Somebody has the car you want stored out of the elements just sat there waiting for you to buy it. That's the one you want.
Good luck in your search.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

You're falling in love with the colour! Resist!

The car you descibed is a wreck and you'll do MUCH better for only slightly more money.

As the saying goes, "If you can only afford to buy a 911 - you can't afford to OWN a 911".

Unless you can get this car for silly money (<$5K?) you will spend WAY too much money fixing it. Further - and I'm suffering this right now waiting for a clutch pedal part - if you love driving the car so much - you'll be frustrated as it spends too much time on the lift, in the shop or stranding you time after time as parts that should have been replaced/renewed fail on you.

Buy a BETTER car - drive it all the time and enjoy the 964 experience - it's magical!

RK
Old 07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,016 Likes on 2,969 Posts

is the cab you were looking at the one that was on san francisco craigslist?? for $12K fast sale
Old 07-01-2009, 05:51 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Good move walking away. The right car is out there. The time you spend now to find it will pay off many times over in the future.

Quick Reply: Love at first drive...(and hello)