Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really, really would appreciate some fathers day help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got home. I am totally speechless, I have no idea what to say, too emotional. Absolutely in shock. So, so sorry but words completely fail me....

I will post shortly...
Old 06-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Shaun Leahy
Advanced

Howard

I had chemo and when 1st diagnosed with the Little C: I did not realise the positive impact it would have on my life form then. Before I started chemo I saw an old guy leanoign against a doorway, bent over, crying outside a respected S. London cancer hospital, not caring who saw him. I asked what was wrong, thinking he had lost somebody, might need to chat etc. Surprise surprise he had just finished his last course of chemo and was so happy, no relieved it was over and he was able to re-start his life. He was going abroad after very little travel in his life. He was alive and over it and the relief came pouring out from this stranger to me, as I was about to start chemo.

I am sorry for what happened to your father about the misdiagnosis; I had unknowlingly reached end-stage yet I lived despite the "care and attention" of my local doctor (I was too young to have anything serious tested for) before another doctor took notice of my symptoms. It may help if you get some photos of your dad taken in the good itme and put them in your wallet/screensaver etc for a time just to rememebr him when he was out smiling or worklign & enjoying the life he had. Think of those times at family weddings, over dinner, watching sport, taking pets out, having a beer, what he hated and what he loved etc

Nothing can take away the precious memories you have built up of him and make sure you dwell on all the good things in his life which cheered you both, rather than the small fraction of his life spent in a torrid fight over something which will still be taking others in 10 years time. Above all, if a doctor is not certain what is wrong with you or your family, ask what is the worst case-scenario to be tested.

I am proud of you for the way you want to help others in this way, you are one decent man in a world of mediocrity.

Shaun
Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Still having a really hard time putting into words how grateful I am to all of you.

In fact there are a couple of people that I haven't been able to thank and the truth is, as nonsensical as it sounds, I have felt guilty posting on Rennlist at all until I have done so. I also truthfully just don't feel I can sufficiently articulate how amazed, shocked, moved and just downright grateful I am for the generosity shown. Its unlike anything I've seen before and it has moved me in a way that I didn't count on. I am so humbled by the pledges and have to tell you that I have literally been brought to tears by some of the PM's and emails.

There are truly some amazing people on this board.

I don't think I am generally an overly emotional person but its hard to remember a time I felt so, so grateful for my fellow man. I wanted to wait until I was less emotional rather than bare-all in an embarrassingly over-emotional post but I have been in this high-emotion, almost surreal state of mind since Friday and its showing no signs of abating.

My sister was absolutely shocked by what you had done and, bless her, needed some reassuring as she felt somehow unworthy to be receiving so much sponsorship for her race. She obviously WANTS to raise as much as possible but what rennlist had done just overwhelmed her emotionally (I know the feeling).

This really, really does make a difference....

What was tragic in my dads case was that he had colon-cancer that was not diagnosed until it had metastasized to his liver. Even then the doctors misdiagnosed him and treated him for liver-disease. What really was stunning was that they had previously done a biopsy and were waiting on the results and actually canceled the analysis with the lab when they decided to treat for liver-disease. It was only after my sister's (other sister) remonstrating with them that they didn't discard the biopsy material and found that dad's liver had malignant tumors.

Sorry to ramble but the point I wanted to make was that all throughout my dads illness, and before final diagnosis, there were opportunities to have diagnosed the cancer. Opportunities, that had they been seized, may have meant him being able to see my 964........................or maybe even his grandson.

I looked over the weekend at some graphs on the internet showing changes in mortality rates for different cancers from the 1970's until present day and for some types of cancers it appeared that there had been big changes. The accompanying articles suggested that screening and detection as much as treatments were a major reason for this. Money donated to UK Cancer Research is used to help further these areas as well as look for a cure and has already done much to save thousands of lives through detecting cancer earlier. Small advances can make a huge impact in this regard and every penny helps.

You have made a difference to potentially thousands of people through your generosity and, completely unexpectedly, have touched my heart beyond words.

I think I'm rambling because I wish I knew how to say what needs to be said because 'thank you' just doesn't cut-it.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Howard,
I have given this post 'sticky' status, so it will be at the top of the forum.
Hopefully this will help in more people finding this thread.
Regards,
Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm in for 20.00 of that metric money

Happy to donate!!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris, thank you so much!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Scotty964cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Howard,
I wish you peace. Enjoy your family and celebrate Father's day with Joy, Hope and Love!

Your Friend,

Scotty
Old 06-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scotty, you too mate and thank you. --H
Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 PM
pchak
Pro

I lost my dad to lung cancer a couple years back. In for $10.
cheers!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am so, so proud of Jayne and Steph who completed Race for Life yesterday on fathers day. I can’t think of a better way to remember our dad than raising money so that others do not have to suffer like he did and other families don’t have to watch their dads or loved ones go through such an agonizing ordeal.

So far it looks like they have raised £2, 145.00 (unless I am reading and adding wrong) that will go directly towards cancer research. This is quite amazing as initially they set out with the aim of raising just £200.

What is truly, truly amazing to me is the generosity shown by Rennlisters after I posted above asking for your support. I was not prepared for the astounding response.

One rennlister in particular gave such a generous donation that I was stuck for words and I couldn’t even tell my wife because I just didn’t believe what I was seeing. Thank you so much for this amazing generosity I can’t tell you how grateful I am.

I also received emails and PM’s from many ‘listers all of which were so sincere and heartfelt that I was brought literally to tears while reading them. I am familiar with the bond I share with my family over my dad’s passing and the emotions that go with it, but I was now sharing those intimate feelings with people that I usually only share my feelings about painted taillights, suspension options, and oil types with. This was unexpected and made me realize not only how similar we all are as human beings but how badly this disease affects so many wonderful people. I had to explain to my surprised children on one occasion that dad was ok and was actually really happy, when I got up from my monitor in one such emotional state.

Thanks again to every single person who took time just to read the thread and have their day interrupted by something not just off-topic but that asked them to dig into their wallet. I was leary about posting on rennlist initially but I know now that I was right to do so, as not only is this an amazingly understanding place, but the overwhelming response has really been a perspective-changing experience for me, in the most positive away. Truly, this was so profound and touched me personally on a level I did not expect.

Its hard to end this post because I am trying to build up to a ‘big thank you’ but just don’t feel I can express adequately how very grateful I am and have it sound as sincere as I am feeling it.

Thank you to everyone reading this thread for supporting this cause, even by just reading and generating awareness, if not able to donate.

A simply enormous thank you to those lending their financial support. Your donations will make a difference. Look at the detection rates and mortality rates for many cancers over the past 5, 10, 20, 30 years…lives are being saved and people are living longer. Scientists, doctors and millions of others are working hard to beat this and I honestly do believe they will (and pray that its sooner rather than later). The true heroes however are selfless people like those on this board who give so freely and generously and embody the true human spirit…thank you guys so very much, you have touched my heart and left me speechless.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Like you said Howard, maybe we can raise awareness and find an end to this brutal killer. My FIL had symptoms, but his stubornness to seek treatment caused a late diagnosis. his cancer- glioblastoma, is a fast growing kind that would likely have ended up with the same result, but he might have enjoyed better quality of life had they removed the tumor sooner, while it was smaller.

Contrats to Jayne and Steph, for their determination and accomplishment.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 PM
OCJoe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been there...

wife and i are survivors. nuf said. $$ enroute.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Done.

Howard - you are one of the bedrocks of this wonderful forum. And I know what it is like to be when your life takes you so far away from people you care about.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I can speak for a few here when I say both "You're Welcome" to you, Howard and also a big "Thank You" to you as well for allowing us to contribute to this very worthy cause.

Marc

Quick Reply: Really, really would appreciate some fathers day help...