Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really, really would appreciate some fathers day help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really, really would appreciate some fathers day help...

I don't post fund raising requests or even off -topic threads very often. However on this occasion I would really appreciate it if you could humor me...

A few years ago, I lost my dad to cancer. This was the worst day of my life.

We had no family history of the disease, my dad was a relatively healthy 62 year old and therefore this came as a total shock. Living in the US and having my dad live through this disease 6,000 miles away was extremely difficult. At the end I had to make a mad dash across the Atlantic so I could be with him. I still find that I am in shock and denial at his passing and am left with a feeling of mortality that I never had before; this disease can hit anyone, at any time regardless of how well we think we take care of ourselves. Its not just scary, its terrifying.

One of the hardest parts to swallow was that it could have been detected early and prevented but was not. In fact misdiagnosis after misdiagnosis meant the cancer was allowed to spread throughout his body before it was finally detected...nauseates me to type this and think about it, especially when detection rates for so many types of cancer are getting better and better. I wonder if my dad had lived say 100 years later than he did, or even 50 or even 20...or even 10, whether this would have ended his life? Sooner or later medicine will find a cure and the more money invested will undoubtedly help us to arrive at that point sooner. Too late for my dad but there are millions more dads out there with children that love them too.

In addition to being passionate about Porsche's, nearly all of my life I have been a runner. I struggle to stay fit and gain weight easily. yet I still manage to run 20-30 miles on a weekly basis. No one else in my family shares this passion and I have tried on many occasions to get family members interested and coerce them to run with me...but to no avail, no way, no how!

I was fairly surprised then, and feeling more than a little guilty, to see that my older sister(Jayne) had enrolled in 'Race for Life' to raise money for Cancer Research. She hates running and I realize that this is a big deal for her, but something she feels she needs to do to honor our Dad. She is taking part on fathers day and this is the best possible way she could thank our dad for being such an amazing and caring man.

I am sure others here have been affected by this horrible, horrible disease and I am not the only one here to lose a dad or family member in this way. So please follow the link below to check out my sister and niece's fund raising page. A fathers day gift to help diagnose, treat and put an end to cancer would be fantastic, even if its just the cost of a fathers day card! Even if you cannot donate this time, please check out her page by clicking on the link below:

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/jayneduffy

Thanks if you've read this far and happy fathers day in advance.

--Howard

Last edited by Kahdmus; 06-08-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That cause is worth at least a tenner.

Contributed
Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
That cause is worth at least a tenner.

Contributed
Wow, right after I posted, thanks Blueheeler, I really, really appreciate it. Rennlisters aren't like most people though, especially on this board, which is why I decided to post this.

Obviously its very close to my heart and I am really proud of my big sister. I don't think she expected to get many sponsors, hence the low target, so it would be just wonderful to see her really exceed expectations.

Thank you SO much.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:11 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Dear Howard,

Our mortality fuels the romance of life. May the Creator and Author of it give
you peace.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by N51
Dear Howard,

Our mortality fuels the romance of life. May the Creator and Author of it give
you peace.
Hi Noah, there is truth in those words for sure.

However there is no romance or even much life worth living in watching someone you love spend three years of hell having operation after operation, looking like death after chemo, lossing their hair, having to poo through a tube into a bag (and getting toxic poisoning because they cannot relieve themselves), getting so frail they cannot stand and continuing to fighting like mad even though they know all hope is really lost.

I was holding my dad's hand when he died and could hardly recognize him after cancer had ravaged his body. I pray that you and I die in our sleep or get hit by a bus because nobody wants some of the alternatives.

Thanks for the thoughts, I do honestly appreciate the sentiment.

Best to you,

--H

PS. Reading my words perhaps this isn't the right reply as the point of this thread and my sisters effort is one of optimism. The possibility of others avoiding my dad's fate through earlier detection, education, treatment etc. is a real one and seems to get more real everyday with the research being carried out. It stands to reason that we will beat cancer but I think 'how soon' is something we can directly affect through funding research.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hoping I can get away with a shameless bump?

Still lots of help needed....

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/jayneduffy

Thanks,

--H
Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Scotty964cab
Racer

Dear Howard,
Thank you for sharing a very private part of your life in our forum. I'm privelaged to witness your courage. Sharing about your Dad has me emotional, but teaches me I'm not alone. Happy Father's day to you and all you love. Good luck to your Sister and the cause she has put herself into.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scotty, I know your mind is only in one place right now and so it means a lot that you would help out, thank you! --H. (I really, really appreciated the PM)
Old 06-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

DavidI, thank you so much. I only just noticed what you had done and really appreciate it, thank you! --H
Old 06-12-2009, 04:27 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Done. They're doing what I wish I had the committment to do myself. The 6000 mile thing I can relate to and is a daily reminder of one of the shortcomings of being out here.

Cheers
Old 06-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark lintott
Done. They're doing what I wish I had the committment to do myself. The 6000 mile thing I can relate to and is a daily reminder of one of the shortcomings of being out here.

Cheers
Mark,

Thank you. This is exactly how I felt although doubly so as I am supposedly the runner in the family and my sister can't stand to run yet has the strength of character to put me to shame.

Cheers,

Howard
Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 PM
cshaida
Track Day

Default They need to raise their target!

Chipped in a bit. Your help to all of us newbies certainly deserves a little consideration for such a worthy cause.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:56 AM
tommyz
Intermediate

I'll give. Good luck! --Tommy
Old 06-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guy's thank you so much for supporting this. I was not expecting to get emotional but the response to this post has had such an unexpected humbling effect on me I feel I have to share.

My sister called me last night and was filled with emotion because of the support from rennlisters; the show of unconditional human kindness on top of something already close to the heart got us both in quite an emotionally charged state. As we were talking an email came-in informing her of cshaida's donation, the timing was too much, pushing her over the edge and into tears at the generosity of people she has never met.

I don't really know what to say, Rennlist always comes through, whether a slipping clutch, squeaky brakes or something as profound as the generosity shown here.

You guys have really touched my heart, thank you.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:36 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

This is what Rennlist, and especially the 964 board, is so good at and why it is such a great place.

H, regarding the second paragraph of your last post - been there... Simple, yet thoughtful, acts by others are extremely powerful things.

Quick Reply: Really, really would appreciate some fathers day help...