Sponsored by:

SUNROOF FIXED!! ...some steps not covered in DIY threads

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:46 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,888 Likes on 2,891 Posts
Default SUNROOF FIXED!! ...some steps not covered in DIY threads

WOW...sunroof cables are $100+ each and i was certain one was broken after reading most of the threads associated with sunroof not closing and pulling more on one side...

initially, i didn't want to attempt a DIY repair on my sunroof as the idea of removing everything made me nervous for proper fitment/track alignment when i was finished.

this afternoon i decided to take my sunroof apart and figure out which cable broke...i gingerly removed the sunroof following the steps on the pelican thread...got the sunroof lid out and removed the cables...i was very surprised to find that both cables were complete and not broken nor were they worn at the points were the gear engages them

i cleaned and greased all tracks and regreased the cables...i also greased the track that the headliner slides in

.....put everything back together and tested sliding the roof before re-attaching the gear motor...the roof slide smooth and the cables moved freely...i made sure the sunroof lid was postioned parallel to the opening edge and re-attached the gearbox...

the sunroof works like new and slides much faster than before!

**a couple of notes regarding some info that is missing from the pelican DIY thread:
1. when accessing the sunroof motor, after unzipping the headliner in the rear, the 964 has 3 phillips screws holding the foam sound deadening material in place.
2. when the headliner piece under the sunroof lid is unclipped and slide back, it reveals both the track guide scews (which are toward the front of the sunroof lid) and the cable hardware screws which are toward the rear of the sunroof lid**after removal of the cable screws, there is a plate that slides into a channel that sandwiches the cable plate in place...also there is a small metal rod attached to the cable hardware that is heald in place by a clip attached to the sunroof lid which must be released in order to fully remove the cable hardware from the roof lid so it can be removed.

great to have the sunroof working again!!!

william
Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing beats a little tlc .
Old 06-08-2009, 12:34 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Glad to hear you have it working again. I think mine needs a similar treatment as its been getting slower and not raising up all the way in the rear without a little help when it shuts.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:45 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad hear you got it sorted. I had my headliner material snag while opening the sunroof last weekend and now it ballons down when it is closed. Ineed to get in there and reupholster it. I peeked through that zipper and didn't go any further. I'll need to check out that pelican article. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Can you provide the link to the Pelican article?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:05 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buy A CAB ;-)

then all you have is 2 $600 motors, some more cables, and a few arms that can get torqued up
Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,888 Likes on 2,891 Posts
Default pelican forum sunroof repair link

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...oof_repair.htm

Quick Reply: SUNROOF FIXED!! ...some steps not covered in DIY threads