Sponsored by:

Refinished Speedlines Are On (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car looks stunning in those moody garage pics Busta

The wheels are very nice. How much does a set of speedlines like that cost ?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Scamper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark J
the car looks stunning in those moody garage pics Busta

The wheels are very nice. How much does a set of speedlines like that cost ?
theres a set for sale on PCGB for £650......
Old 05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

650£? Maybe for one wheel
Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
A couple of weeks ago I received my refurbished Speedlines from Jim Dorociak. Many of you know him for his refinishing work of other member's wheels. These Speedlines came with the car when I bought it and were beat to hell. Jim did a great job of breaking them down, trueing them, cleaning, and polishing. I decided to go with a unique finish. The hoops and centers were polished and then the centers were sprayed with a black-tinted clearcoat. It gives the wheels a very black-green metallic look in direct sunlight and more depth than a normal black finish.

Jim even re-etched the "Speedline for Porsche" lettering, wheel widths, and offsets that were rubbed off from previous refinishing. Here they are after removing them from their shipping boxes:

Some shots at the Northgate Target/Best Buy parking garage. Next time, I will use a lower ISO setting to minimize the over-exposure from the overhead lights. The car is riding on Tech Art sport springs and 5mm spacers all around.
Looks great!! I had seen shots of the work before it was complete and the end product is very nice.

I think you should leave your car as is. Replace those old clear fender guards with new ones and replace the bumperetts with clear and you are perfect.

I agree the speedlines are the best looking wheels for these cars especially the widebody. Although I would recommend being careful about using any kind of wheel cleaner on these. Just keep it simple with soap and water.

I was looking at a set Jim did the other day for a guy named Evan on the 993 forum and he was using a wheel cleaner on it and it attacked the surface although ever so slightly. I told him to stop using it and just stick with normal car was products and keep them waxed to keep them looking new. i was amazed at how the markings were spot on. I was parked next to Evan and there was no way to tell it wasn't factory. That was the first time I saw his work up close. Those nickle plated bolts are so much nicer than stock. Might have to change mine one day.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 410 Posts

Thanks, Anthony. Yes, I intend on replacing the clear fender guards this summer. They are very distracting on the car right now. This is odd, but I kind of like the black bumperettes. They add a nice contrast to the front bumper.

Yep, I would never use wheel cleaners on those wheels. With these hoops, the lips stain really easily with any harsh chemicals. Found out the hard way when I took my car in to get a detail before the wheels were refinished. The bastards would not admit that they did it but it was clear cleaners were used. Soap and water work just fine, especially since they are practically brand new. I need to wax those ****'s and it will make cleaning much easier.

Mark J, a set of Speedlines in decent condition will probably run you about $3500-4000 for a set. They are not made anymore so there is a rarity factor. Anthony is pretty knowledgeable about these wheels and can provide more info. I think he's owned about a gazillion sets! Thanks for the comments, guys.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:07 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

This is odd, but I kind of like the black bumperettes. They add a nice contrast to the front bumper.
I, too, like the bumperettes on white cars; for what it's worth.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:51 PM
kimo964
Racer

Wow....just wow. Excellent color choice. Yes on headlight rings, maybe not on mirrors.

What shift **** do you have?
Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 PM
964RS
Instructor

Jim even re-etched the "Speedline for Porsche" lettering, wheel widths, and offsets that were rubbed off from previous refinishing.
Nice car and nice wheels! Impossible combination to beat.

How did Jim re-etch the lettering? Do you have any picture on the Speedline lettering?

Best regards
Anders
Old 05-22-2009, 08:21 PM
dynogyno
Instructor

I am burning with envy! Stunning car. I am trying to make my GPW 90 C2 look almost identical, except I love flag mirrors for the same reason you like the black bumperettes........the subtle black contrast, and the generation-appopriateness (in my case). Just gorgeous MAN!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:31 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a secret. Jim
jdorociak@gmail.com

I have a set of Ferrari F40 wheels coming in next month for a full restoration - should be exciting.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by kimo964
Wow....just wow. Excellent color choice. Yes on headlight rings, maybe not on mirrors.

What shift **** do you have?
Ray, the shift **** is from a German company (http://www.innovativcar-tech.de/). I could not figure out how to buy direct from their site, but you can purchase from them via Ebay. Do a search for "964 shift ****" and it should come up.

Thanks for posting a pic of the etching, Jim. It definitely looks very good, even up close.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:51 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice wheels + best color
Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,730 Posts

Speedlines on a widebody are the best! Perfect - not over/under stated. Classic.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:14 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,730 Posts

BTW... can I have those color crested caps if youre not going to put them to good use?
Old 05-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Car is hot!!!!! Don't do the black headlight rings though....just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Refinished Speedlines Are On (pics)