Does my new helmet fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Does my new helmet fit?

I posted this to the Racing forum for opinions there too.

I am not sure if my new Arai GP5W helmet fits or not. I am purchasing a new helmet to replace my aging Bell M2 which was a size large, I think.

I measure my noggin and according to the fitting chart, 58 cm equates to a medium Arai.

The new Arai arrived today from Apex (Great service from Linda) and it is certainly snugger than my Bell. I wore it for 30 minutes around the house and is seems very comfortable but the only issue is it seems to squish my face at the angle of my jaw. After having it off for a while now, my jaw seems a bit achy, like it is tired.

Will the inside compress a bit? Is the new helmet too small or was the old one just too big?

Thanks

Marc
Old 04-23-2009, 12:10 AM
DanielT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like getting a new pair of shoes.... you have to break them in.
also the newer helmets fit tighter than the older ones....newer specs for impact absorption...

I bought a new Pyrotect with Snell 2005 rating...much tighter than my old HJC...with the 1995 Snell rating. More padding in the new one and much tighter.

It will break in. My new Pyrotect took about 1/2 of a season last year to really get comfortable.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 AM
MA Shaw
Former Vendor

It sounds like it fits you pretty comfortably. The "problems" you are describing are probably small details that you will all forget, the second you get out of pit lane. Most (at least the ones I have been to) sessions are only 20-30 mins long. So if you've been able to wear the helmet around inside the house for that long, then I don't see any problems with it. Also, like you mentioned, it'll probably only get better with time, as it stretches out to your face a bit more with use.

-Don
Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to wear an Arai motorcycle helmet and I remember it fitting in a similar manner. I time it fit like a glove. I loved that helmet.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Arai GP5W has removable cheek pads. You can buy smaller cheek pads to improve the fit (less squished).
Old 04-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

I have an Arai motorcycle helmet and it to is tight on my face. Squishes the cheeks a little bit, but is very comfortable. Like mentioned above you need to break it in a little bit. Arai are great helmets, vents, washable liners and look nice too!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys - I'll give it a few track days and if I'm still squished, I'll order up some thinner cheek pads.

Marc
Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My GP5W is the tightest fitting one I've also ever had (have had about 8 over 25 years). But also the best fit. I've debated on the cheek pads; it's not much of an issue a year or so later.

Quick Reply: Does my new helmet fit?