Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Engine For the America GS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:51 PM
S_GO_GTS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the Poll on this thread? He-he.

I am sure whatever path you choose there will be new wonderful developments that will send shock waves through the Rennlist community.

My vote would be a N/A @4.0 and 9.500 rev limit!

Keep up the good work Robert!

Daniel
Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Given your quest for lightness, I would stick with a large displacement N/A engine like you originally planned. The turbo components add about 100lbs to the car in the wrong location. Having had both, I much prefer a non turbo car for real world driving and I'd wonder how well the Tip trans would do with a turbo engine. Just my $.02.
N/A gets my vote, too (hands-down),...
Old 04-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd vote NA too for the KISS principle (as well as the KILL principle - Keep it Light, Linton).

Marc
Old 04-13-2009, 01:21 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd vote NA, as well, but note that you may get different results if you post over on the 964 turbo board . . .
Old 04-13-2009, 04:11 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Knowing Robert, it's likely to be what hasn't been done before, and that's the attraction for me, so I would go with some hybrid 2 stage turbo setup to keep the lag to a minimum, I'd also like to see the unique 911 sound maintained.....as others have said the turbo's tend to lose that uniqueness...That way you have responsiveness, the sound track of choice and still keep that one off appeal.

Kevin
Old 04-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 534 Posts

What's wrong with the existing engine??

Keep it NA.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:17 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

hmm i hadn't considered the weight implication.

could always charge cool rather than intercooler...

I do admit having owned lots of turbos, i do prefer the simplicity of the NA.

Its a shame the weight is an issue - else something along the lines of the Delta S4 would be good, supercharged and turbocharged
Old 04-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can make a very responsive turbo engine, espeically with the correct gearing (which would need to be addressed for a 9500rpm engine too). They are a pain to maintain, I can't tell you how many times I've cut my hands up trying to work on a turbo engine. Just try to adjust the valves on a turbo with power steering...in the car.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
What's wrong with the existing engine??

Keep it NA.
I couldn't agree more.

With the power of the current engine and all the special extras, the special box and 2000 pounds total weight why would you need it to be any faster. I think it is perfect as is and complicating it with a turbo would take away from it's beauty.

Although the Secan intercoolers are works of art by themselves I don't believe you would be able to continue to use the 3.8RS tail and definitely never be able to put back the factory lid. Besides now you would be back to gaining weight which is contrary to all the work you did so far.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:07 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob -

Thought the 4.0 was a lock..? Did your "builder(s)" decide to go a different way than we discussed ?

I too love the kick of Turbo power, but the lag in my old 930 got tiresome over time. The twin turbos are much better, but add complexity and weight.
N/A gets my vote.
Rgds.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:07 AM
S_GO_GTS
Advanced

I love people who go their own way and explore the unknown.
Go for it Robert, what ever you had in mind, I am sure I will be alone
watching this space to see what it will be!

Daniel
Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

The 4.0 litre aircooled N/A engine works for me.....
Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Question is, what can be done that has not been done before to push the envelop on this engine?

If you go via the Twin Turbo (or single Turbo) route, can you make the housing of a different/lighter materia? Can these be made of some carbon composite/silicon carbide material? Do you still use metal for the internals. Basically, can you go that route without impacting or minimizing the weight increase?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Question is, what can be done that has not been done before to push the envelop on this engine?

If you go via the Twin Turbo (or single Turbo) route, can you make the housing of a different/lighter materia? Can these be made of some carbon composite/silicon carbide material? Do you still use metal for the internals. Basically, can you go that route without impacting or minimizing the weight increase?
Understood, however the engine is unique from the factory to begin with so why mess with it? I have no issue with changing a rare beast with components that are bolt on and save weight doing the same thing as the original components but to change the engine and or tranny would render this car no longer the car it once was which is priceless by itself. This would be like taking one of the rare 964 turbo S2's and reworking the entire engine into a 3.8 etc. IMO that car would no longer be a rare car since what made it unique was the Andial built motor.

Just my .02 worth.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apples and oranges, thats 2 completely different set-ups, I would have figured after turning over every rock with this car, this would be something set in stone that we coudlnt change your mind about. If it were me, the 4.0 just simply bc, its different, like the car.

Quick Reply: What Engine For the America GS?