Cobalt Blue!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:43 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine Blue interior

Hi guys

My exterior is Grand Prix White (the BEST colour ) - don't shoot me...

I thought I would chime in with some interior pics of Marine Blue - code SX in Soft Look Leather (code 980 - "Draped Leather"). In daylight it looks black, but the flash really brings out the color and highlights the difference between the blue and black trim.

BTW, LOVE Cobalt Blue... 2nd best colour (after GP White) for a 964 ()

Cheers
John

Last edited by JohnMetro; 07-01-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts
Default So classy

I have always been a big fan of black interiors; having had light color leather while living in the UK and dealing with the rain/mud/filth of London I just gave up cleaning and became Black Interior Man.

But that navy is really a step up especially on the white exterior, very very nice. Wait.....Andrew is right, it is MARINE Blue, sorry.

I was hoping to see a bit more Cobalt from you guys, I am particularly trying to source the interior items such as the leather seat covers in the 2 tone cobalt/marine and carpet in cobalt as I think the car will need that at least, it has high mileage.

So come on, post a few pics for me and chime in on any sources for me.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
I have always been a big fan of black interiors; having had light color leather while living in the UK and dealing with the rain/mud/filth of London I just gave up cleaning and became Black Interior Man.

But that navy is really a step up especially on the white exterior, very very nice. Wait.....Andrew is right, it is MARINE Blue, sorry.

I was hoping to see a bit more Cobalt from you guys, I am particularly trying to source the interior items such as the leather seat covers in the 2 tone cobalt/marine and carpet in cobalt as I think the car will need that at least, it has high mileage.

So come on, post a few pics for me and chime in on any sources for me.
Thanks in advance.
If you have a worn interior you can always die the seats and parts again. I have used a product from Color plus http://www.colorplus.com/ all the concours experts swear by it and they are extremely helpful. All you need to do is find a piece of material that hasn't been exposed to the sun and they will match it to 99% of original far easier than the paint issue i am having.

Call and speak to them and I highly recommend buying the entire kit. Preparation is 80% of how well the product works and lasts. I also recommend spraying it.

I will keep you posted on the paint. I was at LRP this week and there was a cobalt blue car there with the same 37U paint code. Unfortunately it looked like the darker paint sample I was given and did not turn the different shades as much as my car dos so I might not be able to help you if my car is uniquely difficult.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Default The reason is T U R B O

I know from a tour of the factory way back that the Turbos always got special treatment, the best of the best. Perhaps your car was painted differently, off the line, later on, a factory shunt that caused a respray?

Ask the factory to confirm the paint code and ship you the paint for it. I did on my 84, they were eager to help.

Keep us all posted and thanks for the effort.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
I know from a tour of the factory way back that the Turbos always got special treatment, the best of the best. Perhaps your car was painted differently, off the line, later on, a factory shunt that caused a respray?

Ask the factory to confirm the paint code and ship you the paint for it. I did on my 84, they were eager to help.

Keep us all posted and thanks for the effort.
We had a paint workshop at the Paterek Brothers shop yesterday and I spoke to John who is the PCA national paint expert. I showed him the samples and feels we should be able to match the color however the issues is with the color shift. Apparently they used a ground mica in the paint to create the color shift . It is possible being a turbo they added a bit more. He said it would appear it has quite a bit more than he is accustomed too, he has seen this on some of the 959's he worked on and apparently the infamous America GS has the same issue which they have not been able to match. The problem is apparently you can't get the mica anymore. Not sure why but I might be SOL on getting it to match and color shift too.

I also found out my car is unique in that it has a clear coated underside of the hood. Apparently the factory did not do this and mine is and is factory paint.
So your guess is as good as mine but I might have had a painter who liked the color on the car and carried a bit further than usual.

Still keeping my fingers crossed there must be a solution.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:28 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Default Touch up stick

I guess I can call the stealer tomorrow but are touch up sticks still available?
It may not be perfect but I want to touch up the Cobalt paint a little, where can you find touch up sticks?

Looking for Cobalt Blue carpets and floor mats too.
THNX
Old 04-30-2009, 01:09 AM
bcporsche24
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here is mine...

Here is mine from last week with my Dad's Turbo. What do you think? Downside is the grey interior but I still love this car.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (08-31-2020)
Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcporsche24
Here is mine from last week with my Dad's Turbo. What do you think? Downside is the grey interior but I still love this car.
Very nice!!

How do the colors compare? When I park my 94 next to an 01 turbo in cobalt they look very different. yours seems to be similar in color.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM
bcporsche24
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They actually seem pretty close. I think the 964 has a little more purple in the paint relative to the turbo actually. Fun driving the down the street with both of them, looks good together just cruising around town.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bcporsche24
...Fun driving the down the street with both of them, looks good together just cruising around town.
Old dude, young car,...

...Young(er) dude, old(er) car.

Last edited by elbeee964; 04-30-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Default Stop teasing

More photos!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:34 PM
mr pg
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
The color is actually Marine blue not navy. As you can see by the charts (not too clear) Both the color combos shown above are standard. It is either the light gray with cobalt, all marine blue, or all cobalt blue.
I'm not sure it is marine blue as you believe. It looks too bright/vivid. Mine is marine exterior with marine/black/linen interior, and the marine blue is noticeably darker.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2009, 04:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mr pg
I'm not sure it is marine blue as you believe. It looks too bright/vivid. Mine is marine exterior with marine/black/linen interior, and the marine blue is noticeably darker.
The charts I posted are of the actual factory color schemes so it is either called marine blue or cobalt blue. What the actual color is may not have anything to do with its name. Just like my Amazon green cars that everyone says oh what a lovely blue car you have.

BTW how do you keep that looking so clean and new?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 PM
mr pg
Racer

It think it looks cleaner in the photo than in reality (although it is pretty good for a 145k mile car)!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Default You mean 14,500 miles right

HUH?
Please send name and address of detailer.

Quick Reply: Cobalt Blue!!