Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by christallon
LA964RS

Did I hear correctly this morning that your 964 R is for sale?

Very sad to hear.

Will it stay in the US or heading across the pond somewhere??
Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Interesting, so far I've seen 4-5 cars that have been featured in Excellence last year go for sale. I'm sure the extra exposure helps getting your asking price. Guess I'll have to try and get my car featured if I ever decide to sell
Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify: The only reason the "for sale" thing even came up is that I said to another member that I've been toying w/the idea of building a new car and to do so, I'd have to get rid of the white car...That's a bit different than "I'm selling my car and its $x".....that whole new project is 1/2 on paper and 1/2 in my head...and one engine in storage.

Point being that after a 3-year build and then two years on the road, I do feel the itch for change...I think that's why you see magazine cars come up for sale...its just for so many the end of a journey and they are looking to go on another one...build the next trick bit...like Weird Science...build your own fantasy is a very cool opportunity...although one fraught w/frustration and at times the feeling like you are simply sitting around a camp fire throwing hundred dollar bills into the flames.

I think everything is always "for sale".... But for now, its simply that very nice white car parked in my garage. As you can imagine, it doesn't suck having to drive it around. I'm also looking forward to taking it back up to Monterey again this August for the Historics. This time, however, when I get there on Wednesday, I'm going straight to the track to fill up w/some good fuel!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LA964RS
I'm also looking forward to taking it back up to Monterey again this August for the Historics.
I might have to drive down this year. It would be great to see your car in the flesh!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Point being that after a 3-year build and then two years on the road, I do feel the itch for change...I think that's why you see magazine cars come up for sale...its just for so many the end of a journey and they are looking to go on another one...build the next trick bit...like Weird Science...build your own fantasy is a very cool opportunity...although one fraught w/frustration and at times the feeling like you are simply sitting around a camp fire throwing hundred dollar bills into the flames.
Congrats on your magazine article, that is pretty cool. I certainly understand about wanting to do another project. I would sell my race car for the right price.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:08 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Geoffrey....be interesting to hear what you'd build next.....
Old 03-27-2009, 02:47 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

I still haven't received my comp mags...thank god Rich gave me the teaser photos and was nice enough to scan the article for me. Cheers mate!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:46 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

FINALLY GOT A COPY. Couldn't wait for it to snail mail across the pond so broke down and contributed some $$ to the pub....and......It looks great! They did a very nice job. Would have been fun to be part of the 997 Turbo test in the mag....I think there would have been some surprised folks on that one.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 410 Posts

Congrats on the spread. It was a great read and your car is amazing. If you do end up selling it, some lucky bastard will get a very nice ride. Keep us posted on your next project.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:47 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, ahh, RS, did you have those fender (above the tailpipe) protectors made for you?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Originally Posted by PorscheZen
Hey, ahh, RS, did you have those fender (above the tailpipe) protectors made for you?
If you are asking about the aluminum pieces that are above the cookie cutter exhaust tips, then yes, they are custom made. Same aluminum material that's used for the muffler skirt and of course the center reflector delete. Guy who did the body work on the car is a wizard w/aluminum....

If that's not what you were asking about....try again or PM me and I'll shoot you my phone #. Always like to try and help as much as possible.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Amazing car, and so beautifully done. A looker and is even more amazing under the skin. Thank you for showing the world how capable the 964 chassis really is. As corny as it sounds, seeing your car in the magazine really made me feel proud of our 964 family.

I’ve followed some of your posts during the build and have really enjoyed reading your comments. A quick question… with the clean, RUF, Rgruppe look you have going on, what were your thoughts in regards to removing the rain gutter rails?

You also mentioned we might get lucky and see another magazine spread… hopefully someone that can give a credible 0 to 100 mph time? Is this an 8 second car? Again, an amazing car and thanks for taking us along for the ride!
Udo

Last edited by 911Jetta; 04-15-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: missing words
Old 04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Amazing car, and so beautifully done. A looker and is even more amazing under the skin. Thank you for showing the world how capable the 964 chassis really is. As corny as it sounds, seeing your car in the magazine really made me feel proud of our 964 family.

I’ve followed some of your posts during the build and have really enjoyed reading your comments. A quick question… with the clean, RUF, Rgruppe look you have going on, what were your thoughts in regards to removing the rain gutter rails?

You also mentioned we might get lucky and see another magazine spread… hopefully someone that can give a credible 0 to 100 mph time? Is this an 8 second car? Again, an amazing car and thanks for taking us along for the ride!
Udo
Thanks for the kind comments....

The 964 family is probably one if not the smartest bunch of guys out there. The 964 platform is simply incredible. It is the true link between the "old" and "new"...certainly the last of its kind. The 964 is Mr. Ruf's favorite Porsche because it "looks" like a Porsche should and its the best made of all years....last of the handmade cars. It provides a feel and driving experience second to none. I think if more RGruppe guys got in these cars they'd switch. I really think the 964 is the starting point for the new RGruppe car and that's what I wanted to illustrate with my car. I think the fact that there are so few good, low mileage example of 964's speaks well about their use and owner's reluctance to part with them. If I do the new project I want, it will be 964 based.

As far as rain gutters....I cut the A-pillar ala 935. It quiets things down quite a bit...but also running a much smaller tail, I wanted to make sure as much air got channeled back there as possible. Without the rain gutters you do get a lot of aero spillage off the car. If you recall, the NASCAR guys run 2 inch high channels down each side of the car to get air back on the tiny spoiler. I don't know what they do with COT, but the last generation did that. I think the car looks neat w/o the gutters, but there's also a lot of strength in the roof by that channel and the multiple pieces of roof structure that are held there.

I'd also like to see some times on my car. I can tell you nothing here runs away from it. I run with some of the big exotics and power to weight we are right there and in fact even better and then there's the aero advantage I have with the very narrow hole it punches in the air....at about 120-130 you just start pulling away from people...slippery little bugger. But with the smaller tail, I can say you need to be driving it all the time, especially when you're over 160...and it gets there lickety-split.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

I picked up a copy of the mag today. Excellent work, Robert! I think Alois would be proud. And it it's anything like a CTR on track I'd love to get a ride. I got a few pax laps in one of those at Goodwood a while ago. Awesome car.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:26 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

bb993tt....I think it'd be a lot like a CTR as that's what its modeled after. Not as light but with equal HP. Handling dynamics would be a bit different given its a coil over car and also given that I run a 295 tire (could certainly stuff a 305 or possibly a 315) in the rear instead of a 255/265 of the CTR makes it really stick. You drive this car classic 911 style...get the car to rotate into a turn and then give it the beans....if you simply stomp on it, it'll light up the tires, so you have to ease into it until in a straight line and by then your foot should be on the floor....absolute riot!

Quick Reply: LA964RS - 911 & Porsche World Magazine