Sponsored by:

Newbie - Pics Attached

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:44 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

John,

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding windshields and the correct gasket to use (at least in the States). Any pictures/tips of the process would be super helpful!

I'm looking to get a new screen but have held of as it seems difficult to even locate the correct part?
Can an OEM (100%) correct screen even be found? What to watch out for (aren't after market screens dimensionally shorter?), should you use a 993 gasket, etc.?

Regardless, enjoy looking through a clean screen again!

Best,
Udo
Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Russ is your man here - I'm sure he'll chime in.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:23 PM
polar964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like things are progressing John. How far off completion? Its probably about time i replaced my screen. Wonder whether this is something i could arrange with my insurance? seeing (pardon the pun!) as it is badly speckled.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:41 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

993,s use a bonded screen, glass is directly glued/bonded to the body.
964,s use a lip rubber, indirect fitment (a rubber seal holds glass onto the body).
Copy 964 screens are a few mill to small, this causes them to leak. If you use oe parts you wont have any problems.
A 993 screen can be used in a 964, i have 993 glass in my 964.
Polar, get in touch with your ins and make sure they fit oe parts, you may have to pay more depending on the ins company.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:47 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Paul, I expect you'll find your insurance behaves like mine: they didn't ask any questions at all. I just siad my screen was damaged and I needed a replacement, was I okay to choose a fitter and to have a genuine Porsche item?

They said I could either have Autoglass fit whatever that company uses and pay nothing up front, or choose my own fitter and screen (as long as the costs were 'reasonable' - and they were happy that £600 for a screen was in this case). In the latter case, I'll have to pay for it and then reclaim it from them.

Car should be ready just shortly after next Friday. Thank God - been a long, long time.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:08 PM
shockm
Racer

Sweet!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 AM
helmet155
Pro

Good read, this thread. Congrats on getting your 964 back also.

One thing I notice, the fuel door release is on the left...is the engine cover release also on the left (so you have to open your passenger door to open the engine cover?)

If so I never knew that about the 911 cars...
Old 09-21-2009, 04:48 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yep. Engine lid release on the left also.

Over here, we are just grateful that they did put the pedals on the right along with the steering wheel...
Old 09-21-2009, 06:03 PM
polar964
Racer

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Paul, I expect you'll find your insurance behaves like mine: they didn't ask any questions at all. I just siad my screen was damaged and I needed a replacement, was I okay to choose a fitter and to have a genuine Porsche item?

They said I could either have Autoglass fit whatever that company uses and pay nothing up front, or choose my own fitter and screen (as long as the costs were 'reasonable' - and they were happy that £600 for a screen was in this case). In the latter case, I'll have to pay for it and then reclaim it from them.
I'll try them and see, cheers John.

Russ, in your explanation between the screen seals you don't mention that the seal is bonded for the 964. Is this because it isn't. The type of seal/fitment would indicate not. However,i have heard/read much discussion on seal being bonded as well, which would possible make sense when fitting an after market screen that is slightly to small!!
What is your expert opinion?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paul, last time i metioned the use of a bonding agent/glue and a 964 screen, i recieved a pm telling me i dont know my job (which may or may not b true), and that in the porsche thingy glue is to b used?
A glue is added to the fitment of an in-direct glass for safety reasons, mainly the use of airbags.
Most 964,s (uk cars) dont have airbags, so this glue isnt needed IMO!
The glue used isnt a sealent to stop water ingress, more of a strengthing glue.
When i have fitted a copy glass it takes maybe 5 mins, falls in. When ive fitted a oe part they are tight take around 25 mins to fit. This extra time is used workin the glass and rubber into the aperture, it fits tight and wont leak. If you ask any auto glass tech i think youstruggle to find any one who has used this glue on a 964 screen! Mayb with loads of glue it wont be loose but thats not a cure, more a bodge.
Ive tried my best to explain but i dont have a degree in english.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Sten
Pro

Russ,
Who makes the 'genuine' screen - mine was fitted by Autowindscreens, had to wait a month for the screen (I specified a genuine screen). Manufacturer is St Gobain?
Baz
Old 09-24-2009, 06:10 PM
polar964
Racer

Originally Posted by 964russ
Paul, last time i metioned the use of a bonding agent/glue and a 964 screen, i recieved a pm telling me i dont know my job (which may or may not b true), and that in the porsche thingy glue is to b used?
A glue is added to the fitment of an in-direct glass for safety reasons, mainly the use of airbags.
Most 964,s (uk cars) dont have airbags, so this glue isnt needed IMO!
The glue used isnt a sealent to stop water ingress, more of a strengthing glue.
When i have fitted a copy glass it takes maybe 5 mins, falls in. When ive fitted a oe part they are tight take around 25 mins to fit. This extra time is used workin the glass and rubber into the aperture, it fits tight and wont leak. If you ask any auto glass tech i think youstruggle to find any one who has used this glue on a 964 screen! Mayb with loads of glue it wont be loose but thats not a cure, more a bodge.
Ive tried my best to explain but i dont have a degree in english.
Thanks for the reply Russ. Hey nothing wrong with your explanation
In a nut shell ....genuine screen (Sigla 43R 001171 Porsche part no.96454101104) no glue. Great, presumably a new seal? how is the old screen remeoved? can it be done without cutting away the old seal?
Apologies for the questions ...always helps to be armed with the right info.

Quick Reply: Newbie - Pics Attached