Sponsored by:

'91 Turbo - What is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:15 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 Turbo - What is it worth?

Red/Black '91 Turbo. One owner, all records, approx. 150K miles. What is it worth. What should I look for before full PPI?
Long time Porsche owner, but never had a 964/965.
Thanks

Last edited by RXDOC; 03-01-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:22 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

There's another one on ATL Craigsist for $24k.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche recommends full engine rebuild at 60K. Check to see if one was ever done. there was a 91 turbo that sold for mid 20's, iirc, a few months back. that one had 120k and looked pretty good from the pictures.
with the depressed economy and the cost of a rebuild, your guess is as good as any. my guess would be high teens to very low 20's. I'm guessing that any offer will be a good one to the seller.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin 90 C2
Porsche recommends full engine rebuild at 60K.
Wait, what?

Please put me in line for a turbo in the teens. Actually, I'll take 3 please! kthxbai!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:21 AM
TR6
Drifting

Wow. A rebuild is an expensive proposition. For my normally aspirated 964 rebuild, the total bill was over $16K. Granted, a few upgrades were done to my engine when it was rebuilt. But in general, I would imagine a turbo rebuild would cost more than a normally aspirated rebuild.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM
benzyne
Advanced

Porsche recommends full engine rebuild at 60K.
Could you please give me your source for this info? It's the same 930 engine (albeit tweaked) that has been used from 1978-1992 IIRC.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

ilko, when I was looking to buy that other turbo that was for sale, my indy porsche mechanic showed me a Porsche bulletin that stated the 60k rebuild for the 3.3l engines. Based on his recent rebuild of his own 3.3 turbo, he said he could get me the parts for around $6.5K. I'm sure that his labor would add another $7k on top of that. My labor is free.

I decided that it was better to buy a lower mileage car than to buy a car that needed an engine rebuild. Maybe I'm being a little naive that you can just subtract off the price of rebuild off the average market value, but hey, I'm cheap.

As is always stated, get a PPI, and prepare to spend some cash on maintenance.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
benzyne
Advanced

my indy porsche mechanic showed me a Porsche bulletin that stated the 60k rebuild for the 3.3l engines.
Wow, that's news to me. Could you please get the Technical Bulletin number, or better yet, a scan of the bulletin?

My 92 964 Turbo has twice that mileage and runs like a top.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

ilko, when I was looking to buy that other turbo that was for sale, my indy porsche mechanic showed me a Porsche bulletin that stated the 60k rebuild for the 3.3l engines. Based on his recent rebuild of his own 3.3 turbo, he said he could get me the parts for around $6.5K. I'm sure that his labor would add another $7k on top of that. My labor is free.

I decided that it was better to buy a lower mileage car than to buy a car that needed an engine rebuild. Maybe I'm being a little naive that you can just subtract off the price of rebuild off the average market value, but hey, I'm cheap.

With all due respect that is a complete crock! Why on earth would Porsche issue a TSB saying cars with 60k miles need an engine rebuild? I think your guy was trying to sell you the parts for a rebuild!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 PM
gr1275
Pro

I heard of a $10K rebuild locally on a '91 early last year. The case was opened but, I can not speak to what parts and/or machine work was performed.
As for the 60K statement, I believe there are several owners on this site with far more miles on their cars enjoying outstanding performance and drivability from them. If I really thought the cars were only good for 60K, I wouldn't own one even if it just had a rebuild! For that matter, I wouldn't own any car produced by a company with that little confidence in their product.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Scotty964cab
Racer

The price range for the buy market is about $24k to $34k.. Then, there is an upper end market of sellers, that have exceptional stock or worked, low mile cars. That market is open to what you'll pay and what they'll accept. What is true about the Turbos, years 1979 to the early '90's is, their price almost remains fixed and stable, year to year. They are good buys and retain value even as mileage builds. The buyers of those cars, look for an exclusive race proven production car that they can own relatively cheap. There is nothing like a 911 Turbo!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
InYourFaceGauges
Former Vendor

this car will require lots of tlc the issue being even if you dump the money into it to make it right Paint / bumpers / interior / wheel work/ shocks / steering rack / brakes / you will still have a car with 150,000 miles good luck with that !!!

Last edited by InYourFaceGauges; 03-02-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Hmmm.... i guess i must have had one of the few 91 turbos to make it past 60K without a rebuild, i have 139000 miles on mine and it runs like a champ and pulls like a freight train. WTF???

JERRY
Old 03-03-2009, 04:40 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

70500 miles on mine and though the exhaust system is now rotten due to 16 years of salty British roads the engine still purrs like a kitten and pulls like a train. I've no reason to believe it will need a rebuild anytime soon.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Sorry but there is no document that says a rebuild is required at 60k miles. I have just about every document that the factory, PCNA and everyone else has put out about these cars. I have never once come across anything saying that a rebuild was required at any interval. Please provide a copy for evidence otherwise I think your mechanic is playing games.

At those prices is it a top end only or a complete rebuild? Sounds awful pricey to me for a car that is just entering it's prime. These cars if kept stock and maintained properly should easily go 100+k miles. Although at 150k miles I would expect you have a lot of work ahead of you. IMO I would look for a lower mileage car it would probably cost you less in the long run. This car sounds like a great candidate for a track car.

InYourFaceGauges

See you changed your name and welcome as a new sponsor.

BTW great product for those of you have never checked it out. No affiliation just a satisfied customer.

Quick Reply: '91 Turbo - What is it worth?