Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Short Shift Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:32 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, those are the shift coupler bushings. They fit in the "coupler" at the far end of the shift rod, where it attaches to the transmission. Check HERE look for "shift rod" #12, the bushings fit in the universal at the end that attaches to the transmission.
Easy to replace, and they will be worn, just take the rod out, put the coupler in a vice, gently, and knock out the pin, replace the bushings and then replace the pin.

PS. If you have the Rothsport "Golden Rod" you will not need the coupler bushings. The golden rod uses needle bearings in place of poly bushings.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:13 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Yes, those are the shift coupler bushings. They fit in the "coupler" at the far end of the shift rod, where it attaches to the transmission. Check HERE look for "shift rod" #12, the bushings fit in the universal at the end that attaches to the transmission.
Easy to replace, and they will be worn, just take the rod out, put the coupler in a vice, gently, and knock out the pin, replace the bushings and then replace the pin.

PS. If you have the Rothsport "Golden Rod" you will not need the coupler bushings. The golden rod uses needle bearings in place of poly bushings.
Ahh. No wonder I hadn't noticed them. Literally removed the rod and threw it in the trash (because I'm doing the Golden Rod thing). Haha. Thanks for the reply
Old 07-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

resurrecting an old thread as i have a fresh new rs shifter ready to install.

looks like i need to cut an oval hole to increase the size of the original 1991 c2 hole. what material is this? does it need some primer or goop to rust proof?

if i spec oval bushings will pelican or ebs know what i'm talking about?

an other bushings or bearings or anything should be changed while i'm down and in there?? maybe a guard lsd??
Old 07-26-2017, 09:37 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I had the shop use the Rothsport Shifter Bushing Kit (includes a template)
http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Tr...rt-Shifter.htm

Please Note: Early model 90-91 964's will need to have the round bushings in the shifter console replaced with the later style oblong bushings/ bearing sleeves. The holes in the console will need to be enlarged at the top so the oblong bushings will fit. At the bottom of this page we offer a kit with both bushings and a metal template for making this update.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:18 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

bringing up an old thread here and wondering there are two places to make this new oval shaped hole.. one in the front and one closer to the rear.

do you make the hole in front, rear or both???
Old 11-26-2017, 06:41 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
do you make the hole in front, rear or both???
You have to make the "round rect" on both sides of the housing, otherwise the cylinder that the shifter slides on wouldn't be level:

View this post on Instagram
Old 11-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

okay it was not totally clear to me but makes sense now the shifter did not seem 28mm taller... i made the first hole in the front on my 1991 964 and the bottom of the shifter was 'pressing' on the cover plate underneath (the one with 10 holes and is approx 1' x 4' long) so i now understand why... haha.. i'll order another bushing and make another hole... thanks for quick response.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:08 AM
JDMPalace
Banned

Originally Posted by ToniWonKanobi
You have to make the "round rect" on both sides of the housing, otherwise the cylinder that the shifter slides on wouldn't be level:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOvsIFwAUIy/?tagged=toni964

I was wondering do you have the file for the template you have in this video ? Thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2019, 05:49 AM
bricem13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be interested too

Quick Reply: RS Short Shift Install