Sponsored by:

Shift linkage bushing??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Making my list, checking it twice... lol...
Old 02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Name:  santa_.jpg
Views: 2074
Size:  82.2 KB
Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 AM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the shifter was makeing a banging noise downshifting into 2nd took it all apart found seals # 26 were bad changed them out not a bid deal real easy. Found parts 15 and 16 the rubber to be bad on both parts so got part 16 and have on order part number 928 116 145 03.
I will find out if this fits into the ends of 15 and 16.. Then should be back on the road. I did not take off the shift **** just lifting and setting all on the side is room to work from the top ...

Funny I was at the P car dealer getting parts and was talking to a mech named Hauns. He talked with a strong German accent. Had a smile talking to him about German cars ..
Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Originally Posted by Wachuko
All set waiting for the parts to arrive. Since I have the other bushings I will replace those as well... last thing I want is to fix this only for the other bushings to go bad shortly after...

From the picture, it appears that you were successful at removing the pin with a punch and a hammer. I have heard of others destroying the aluminum coupler in the process of this without the use of a press. Can you suggest your method that worked? I'm ready to tackle this DIY for improved shifting.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pi5tolpete
From the picture, it appears that you were successful at removing the pin with a punch and a hammer. I have heard of others destroying the aluminum coupler in the process of this without the use of a press. Can you suggest your method that worked? I'm ready to tackle this DIY for improved shifting.
I can't visualize how someone would damage the aluminum coupler removing the pin unless they were careless. Get the correct size punch and a 3 lb short sledge hammer. Pin should come out without much of a fight.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

I went back and looked through your other posts and found the reference to PParts thread where someone help you to answer your question.
PParts supply the bushings via a PP member - cool! He makes the bushings himself. I found a link on his PP signature that directed me to a good ewe-toob video of how to replace on a pre 964 vehicle. In order to not damage the aluminum, you need to hold the steel pin, not the aluminum coupler. That way, as you pound out the pin, you are not stressing the aluminum "knuckle".
Tackling tonight.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pi5tolpete
I went back and looked through your other posts and found the reference to PParts thread where someone help you to answer your question.
PParts supply the bushings via a PP member - cool! He makes the bushings himself. I found a link on his PP signature that directed me to a good ewe-toob video of how to replace on a pre 964 vehicle. In order to not damage the aluminum, you need to hold the steel pin, not the aluminum coupler. That way, as you pound out the pin, you are not stressing the aluminum "knuckle".
Tackling tonight.
Cool! I forgot about the links I included in my post... went back to read them and sure enough, lol, I had the same questions on getting that pin out. But I remember coming out without problems.

Here is the link to one of the videos on this:

Old 06-05-2014, 12:22 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Well I finally got around to this DIY.

Removed the under tray front, tunnel, tranny
Removed the central boot
Replaced the shifter tube bushings. Mine were the oval type, not the round rubber type. Don't think this was the issue.
Removed the shifter boot at the tranny, removed the shifter bolt.
Removed the cir clip on the gear shifter and the washer spring washer. Took the whole assembly to the vise.
With the appropriately sized sockets, I pressed the pin out of the shifter coupler. Took a LOT of pressure, but a rap with the hammer freed it up.
Removed the coupler bushings, which were very loose. Replaced with new. Now tight!
All back together..... Wow! Huge difference in shifter feel. Great job to do yourself

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:02 PM
Fede-993
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Hello everyone.

Helping a friend with his car. Yvonne and Chet's '90 964 C2.

Transmission is fine. Transmission mount looked fine. Engine mounts are shot but not the culprit...

So I am thinking that this must be part #26 on the diagram... since when they go bad they give this type of behavior... inexpensive parts that I can order from the local dealer... So I order 2 #26 and, since I am there, why not change the 4 #6 bushings as well.

!
Good afternoon gents,

could anybody help me with parts number to order on PELICAN (or others sites)?
I'll need:
-6 (x2)

Or if anybody can direct me to the page where to link the numbers and part codes it's good too.
These parts will go on the 1995 993 C2 manual convertible
thanks a lot

Quick Reply: Shift linkage bushing??